Hot Xbox 360 Games for 2008

Kurtz

Since 2007 was a totally disappointing year, hope springs eternal for a new year.

My picks:

FEB 12 - Conflict: Denied Ops - very destructive environment, 2 maybe 4 man coop, on the fly squad commands and character switching.

FEB 25 - Frontlines: Fuels Of War, the SP demo was fun, the old game code had framerate issues.

MARCH 4 - Army of Two - looks too much like GOW, but 2 man coop.

MARCH 11 - Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - best coop game, improved coop, PEC, weapons.

MARCH 24 -Battlefield Bad Company - good story akin to "3 Kings", very destructible environment, squad shooter.

APRIL - Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway - improving on the squad based WW2 shooter, adding a heavy weapons squad, weapons accuracy improved, added a cover system, recovering health system.

APRIL -Mercenaries 2 - wide open maps and missions, loud action game but has coop.

APRIL -Rogue Warrior - from Bethesda, supposed to come out in April, tac shooter, 4 man coop.

These all come out in March and April. Then:

GRAW 3 - really would like to see GRAW evolve to FPV with a nice weapon view, large (8) coop.

[Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising] - more big coop, very little news.

Armed Assault 2 - probably the last commercial game from BIS, so hope it comes out. Good coop potential.

Far Cry 2 - wide open shooter set in Africa, just announced for 360, thankfully, no monsters.

What are you looking to get?

Edited by Kurtz

Rogue Warrior actually has some promise...or it could bomb horribly. I played an alpha as part of an evaluation and there was plenty to hope for and plenty to dread. It is the dev team's to either make or break. There were not any hard locked design choices that were bad and there was plenty to innovate if they have the vision and determination.

I think Far Cry 2 might have the best hope. This new engine looks great and I have reason to believe Ubisoft may pull a surprise with this one. I certainly like the tone I am seeing so far. I also think BFBC will steal all talk of COD4 right off the map.

I like squad based tactical shooters like GRAW and Vegas. What I would like to see is a game that looks as good as COD 4 with more open maps, and a 2 squad setup like BIA that allows more tactical play. That's why I am interested in RW and a new GRAW.

The only problem with Far Cry 2i s that it is a single character game (I guess) and its predecessor was a very arcade uninteresting game, so hoping the game dynamics are more developed.

BBC does look good, albeit somewhat arcade in gameplay, but, the absence of coop is disappointing, same with BIA HH.

COD 4 is fun but the gameplay is so linear and cheaply scripted, I was hoping they could get past the typical conventions of non stop respawning enemy, constant nade spamming, exploding cars, rail missions, etc. There isn't an ounce of tactics in the game, in fact, the whole game consists of running from one trigger zone to the next, and the MP is just as chaotic and uninteresting.

Given the tendancy toward loud arcade games, I look for any tactical element in a new game.

Rogue Warrior actually has some promise...or it could bomb horribly. I played an alpha as part of an evaluation and there was plenty to hope for and plenty to dread. It is the dev team's to either make or break. There were not any hard locked design choices that were bad and there was plenty to innovate if they have the vision and determination.

Shocked I tell you.. Shocked, can tell that Demo Dick consulted?

Going outside the titles he mentioned, my most wanted are actually

MGS4 Guns of the Patriots

Metal Gear Online

Killzone 2

Haze

SOCOM Confrontation

Splinter Cell 5

Cipher Complex

2 Days to Vegas

HALO Wars

HALO game by Peter Jackson

Coded Arms Assault

Dirty Harry

The Outsider

Warhound

There is alot out there i want, but i will name afew that i just can't wait for.

End War

WarHound

Flashpoint 2

Far Cry 2

Splinter Cell 5

Brothers in Arms

Armed Assault 2

World in Conflict

Oh and i can't forget about Gears of War 2

There is still alot more on my list that are must haves, but these may be the top ones for right now. I am sure there will be alot more after the next game show when MS finaly releases all the secret games planed for 2008 to the puplic! Man and they said 2007 was the best year for games. From what i see and we still know nothing on all the games still coming out. 2008 is going to destroy 2007 game list from what i see so far! Just them games alone that i said could last me many years of game time!

I have to assume that the dev team is working on a new GRAW, the success of the franchise would seem to assure it. I love GRAW 2 and the MP coop, I would like to see the perspective changed to a FPV and a better coop development, but, any squad based tac shooter is welcome.

I agree that Bad Company is more loud and arcade, the squad dynamic may be missing, and there is no coop, but, it still looks fun.

I have thought about getting a PS3, but, he lack of games I am interested in, is what stops me.

What real world shooters are coming out for PS3. Kill Zone looks too sci-fi, like GOW. What about Socom, is it true there will be no more SP?

What abbout Ground Branch, I presume that it will not come out on console.

About the PS3, I played a little GRAW 2 and the fire weapon was mapped to the right bumper instead of the trigger, who makes these kind of decisions, you want to pull a trigger to fire a gun. Argh!

Looking at the Killzone gameplay vid, it looks a FPV GOW, single character, linear, scripted, loud, empty gameplay. GOW got very tiresome with its 50 shots, one kill , same thing here. But, this type of Halo crap is what sells.

Edited by Kurtz

I'm torn on the new conflict game. I'm really dissapointed that they have gone away from the third person view and have dropped it from a 4 to a 2 person team. I really liked how they did global terror. I just wish Foley would stop getting captured. Isn't this like the third time he's had to be rescued.

Also interested in both Socom confrontation by slant six and socom 4 later on in the year by zipper interactive. I'm hoping they stay with coop for socom 4. I was so happy when they finally added it with socom combined assault.

Mercenaries 2 look really promising as well.

There are two SOCOM titles in development right now. The MP only title is called SOCOM Confrontation and will feature SEALs and other SOF units from around the world. The idea is these other units, additional maps, and gameplay types will be DLC. This game is being made by Slant Six under the tutorship of Zipper Interactive.

SOCOM 4, which is a full blown SP/MP SOCOM title is due out later and is being made by Zipper.

Very little hard news on the GB forum, just a lot of wish lists.

I am thinking more and more that Armed Assault 2 is vapour ware, but, [OFP: DR] will be a definite go for multi platform.

I am troubled that Rogue Warrior still has no launch website, although Fallout 3 does.