Resistance Fall of Man to feature 60 Players

Hatchetforce

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226865

Previewed in the hands on by Game Informer, it looks like they already have the netcode functioning. The game is farther along than people thought and will release this year. If you know anything about Insomniac games they have this bad habit of keeping their word:

Resistance 2

Genre: Goty

Release: Fall 2008

Platform: PlayStation 3

Developer: Insomniac Games

• One campaign focusing on Nathan Hale across 1950's USA invaded by the Chimera

• One campaign focusing on a squad of soldiers, supports 2 players offline, 8 players Online Co-op

• Online Multiplayer (dedicated servers) supporting 60 people, lobbies for individual squads

• Classes for Online, templates include Heavy, Special Ops, Medic

• Mobile phone quality headset voice transfer

• Partial Randomized Geometry in level spots

• Boss fights in FPS gaming finally done right

• New vehicles including Chameleon (Stalker with cloak)

• Insane stat tracking & Community features coupled with MyResistance.net

Edited by Hatchetforce

If this actually comes out, and the MP works, although I don't know about 60 people, the maps will have to be massive which I am not a big fan of. But if they do the maps right, just the perfect size, this could be alot of fun, perhaps even enough to talk me into getting a PS3.

Maps scaled in Resistance FOM. So it isn't something they have no experience at doing. So they aren't just saying they can do them. They have already done them and have had an entire game and a thriving community to point them in the right direction. Also, look at how far they have come. Ratchet and Clank delievers on the promise Bill Gates and crew made way back when they introduced the forst Xbox - Toy Story graphics.

Spend enought time with RFOM and you will see they (devs) are a fairly thorough team. Their MP code even in RFOM was tight. And they have been great at supporting the title after release. On top of that they hit the release window for RFOM and many thought that would never happen. The thing is people have already put their hands on the game and say it is quite remarkable.

If you don't think so that is your business and I am not here to convince you. I just won't play the "It won't work, we're doomed" card right now. Insomniac has a great rep for a reason. It is deserved. But I will say running a game a few times is no equivalent to spending time with it.

Also, look at how far they have come. Ratchet and Clank delievers on the promise Bill Gates and crew made way back when they introduced the forst Xbox - Toy Story graphics.

Sorry i was going to pass this up until i read that part! It was Sony and crew that made that statement about the PS2 on being able to do Toy Story graphics. Bill Gates did say the xbox was more advanced and more powerfull than the PS2, but not at the Toy Story level. If anything he was right that the Xbox was more advanced and more powerfull than a PS2! So it was Sony and crew that finaly made true on that statement but not the next Gen with the PS3. It may of taken them until next Gen, but they finaly made it.

Since i said something about that mind as well talk about the topic here.

As for the 60 player RFOM2 sure cool, but im a team tac man myself. 3 to 8 a team is what i like only becuase i like playing with friends and i like to work as a team and not just go Gun Ho! 60 people may work for the young kids and the none tac team players, but not for me thanks.

Also, look at how far they have come. Ratchet and Clank delievers on the promise Bill Gates and crew made way back when they introduced the forst Xbox - Toy Story graphics.

Sorry i was going to pass this up until i read that part! It was Sony and crew that made that statement about the PS2 on being able to do Toy Story graphics. Bill Gates did say the xbox was more advanced and more powerfull than the PS2, but not at the Toy Story level. If anything he was right that the Xbox was more advanced and more powerfull than a PS2! So it was Sony and crew that finaly made true on that statement but not the next Gen with the PS3. It may of taken them until next Gen, but they finaly made it.

Since i said something about that mind as well talk about the topic here.

As for the 60 player RFOM2 sure cool, but im a team tac man myself. 3 to 8 a team is what i like only becuase i like playing with friends and i like to work as a team and not just go Gun Ho! 60 people may work for the young kids and the none tac team players, but not for me thanks.

Okay, someone took the bait. No, it was Gates and friends. You should have passed it up. This is one of the most mistaken quotes about consoles in the last 10 years.

It happened when the Rock introduced them at GDC. This is the official transcript of the GDC show at which Bill Gates spoke. You can actually get all of them at the site. It wasn't Gates that made the remark but Seamus Blackley

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/bi...1/01-06ces.aspx

As they were onstage unveiling the Xbox (The Rock, Bill Gates, Seamus Blackley, and Steve Guggenheimer), Blackley was showing videos and dev kit gameplay of Xbox titles under development and made this remark:

This is Alice and, again, I hasten to point out that this is all real-time, this isn't pre-rendered, as you'll see when I screw up controlling it, I'm sure. Let's just take a look at Alice here for a second. I mean, that's just stunning. These guys are achieving the level of visual detail that you really did get in Toy Story, and this is a real game, this is the way the game really plays. In fact, let's play some game now. I can do a couple of nasty things to these bugs, I can smear them, actually my favorite thing, I've actually got to get lined up for over here a little bit is the death roller. See, this is how you can tell it's not a canned demo. Come on. You guys are watching a demo from Seamus, the expert gamer here. There you go.

Edited by Hatchetforce

Emm i aint reading all of that, but thats the first time i heard it the other way around. If your right your right, but i do know all the Sony fans still don't deny it was Sony that said it. I may have to dig alittle deeper into this now. Becuase this still comes up alot about Sony saying it and i never gave it a second thought becuase everyone was so sure it was Sony.

This looks really incredible, but I don't have any plans on buying a PS3. Heck, I have not even picked up a 360 yet and I hear that the new processor has made it into the system. I just picked up Splinter Cell DA a few weeks ago and after starting the campaign I did not run it again for a couple weeks, so I still have to finish that.

I barely game enough to justify one system, much less two. Not to mention my POOR past experience with MANY Sony products that have really soured me on the company.

Any chance that this could make it onto the 360?

It really doesn't matter who said what. What actually is important is programmers are punching the hell out of the limits. I showed my neighbor the jeep chase scene from Uncharted, a game I rate far higher than Crysis for popping your eyes out. It took him 10 minutes to get his jaw off the floor. Having this level of detail means just one less thing to kill immersion. No where's my Ghost in the Shell cyberbrain jack?

This looks really incredible, but I don't have any plans on buying a PS3. Heck, I have not even picked up a 360 yet and I hear that the new processor has made it into the system. I just picked up Splinter Cell DA a few weeks ago and after starting the campaign I did not run it again for a couple weeks, so I still have to finish that.

I barely game enough to justify one system, much less two. Not to mention my POOR past experience with MANY Sony products that have really soured me on the company.

Any chance that this could make it onto the 360?

No, it is a Sony exclusive. Regardless of what people thought about Resistance, they did something no one has been able to get away with. They used voice overs and still images for the level intros and created tension that made you say, "Hell, okay. One more level." That was a genius of design and presentation.

Edited by Hatchetforce

Now i look it up Sony did say it first. PlayStation 2, though, is claiming to be able to handle 50 times more 3-D image data than the Dreamcast, allowing it to create characters similar in appearance to those in the Walt Disney film "Toy Story."

and this was said in 1999. As for MS saying it from your link was made on Jan. 6, 2001. So i guess since MS also said it i guess they both lied. Yet if anything its still more a Sony quote than it is a MS quote when it comes to people talking about it at least to everyone i know.

Now i look it up Sony did say it first. PlayStation 2, though, is claiming to be able to handle 50 times more 3-D image data than the Dreamcast, allowing it to create characters similar in appearance to those in the Walt Disney film "Toy Story."

and this was said in 1999. As for MS saying it from your link was made on Jan. 6, 2001. So i guess since MS also said it i guess they both lied. Yet if anything its still more a Sony quote than it is a MS quote when it comes to people talking about it at least to everyone i know.

No, that is not correct because that is the writer making an interpretation and not Ken Kutaragi on stage saying that. See? Those are the writer's words, not Sony. That isn't the same. That isn't Sony at a press conference. If you notice Toy Story is in quotes because it is a movie title but the actual phrase that surrounds it is not a Sony statement. Sony was taalking up the PS2. But bragging on the PS2 saying it will render eye popping graphics isn't the same thing as a news journalist making an extrapolation. Everyone stating it doesn't make it true. Ask some of the poor girls they burned in Salem.

Edited by Hatchetforce

Yeah, insomniac does a game a year -- weird schedule, it's not really anywhere near enough time to normally put out a polished product, but their team is pretty amazing and keeps delivering awesome games despite it.

I saw a guy from the Resistance team chocking up their lag free gaming to nothing but dedicated servers -- pointed out that GOW doesn't use them, which is a bit bizarre.

I'll agree that uncharted looks a lot better than crysis, too, but that's just art direction. Crysis' engine (ambocc and all as it is) blows it away, but Crytek's art team seems to have nothing on Naughty Dog's.

BTW, who did they quote in there? A Japanese newspaper and a 3rd party. Not Sony. Who did they interview? A third party. Not Sony.

Yeah, insomniac does a game a year -- weird schedule, it's not really anywhere near enough time to normally put out a polished product, but their team is pretty amazing and keeps delivering awesome games despite it.

I saw a guy from the Resistance team chocking up their lag free gaming to nothing but dedicated servers -- pointed out that GOW doesn't use them, which is a bit bizarre.

I'll agree that uncharted looks a lot better than crysis, too, but that's just art direction. Crysis' engine (ambocc and all as it is) blows it away, but Crytek's art team seems to have nothing on Naughty Dog's.

They have a pretty good schedule of the two team approach. Also the place is supposed to be a blast for work. Daycare built in, fitness room, free food.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/insomniac-games/i...-for-183380.php

Edited by Hatchetforce

They have a pretty good schedule of the two team approach. Also the place is supposed to be a blast for work. Daycare built in, fitness room, free food.

Yeah, but they use maya, so the artists spend most of those years gouging their eyes out. :P

Nah, I post on a forum with a guy who got hired their around the end of Ratchet's development, what little he's posted since he's gotten into the industry makes it sound like an incredible place to work. (He made mention of the fact that these Resistance screens are a bit dated, too, course -- said he thinks it looks a bit better now)

Yeah, but they use maya, so the artists spend most of those years gouging their eyes out. :P

Nah, I post on a forum with a guy who got hired their around the end of Ratchet's development, what little he's posted since he's gotten into the industry makes it sound like an incredible place to work. (He made mention of the fact that these Resistance screens are a bit dated, too, course -- said he thinks it looks a bit better now)

Still I want a better look and my new issue of GI hasn't arrived.

I don't know and i guess i dont care. I believe its to late anyways it will always be a Sony saying to must and from what i see it was atleast said in a Sony forum long before it had anything to do with MS saying anything about it. So it will always be labeled a Sony saying. Its just way to late to try and turn it around now!

My issue of Game Informer just arrived. The preview team spent hands on time with the game. I have been impressed by some screens before but those were remarkable. A few pages away were the R6V2 screens and they looked like something off of a Gamecube in comparison.

If they deliver on a third of what the writers experienced in their play through the game will be a major contender.

Edited by Hatchetforce

I think some of the things that will persuade me this year to even think about buying the cheapest ps3 come next christmas will be this game and how the socom series pans out.

The coop in resistance has me very interested since I am a huge coop player. Not much of a deathmatch person. 60 players doesn't have me all that excited. I'm also not a big futuristic shooter player either although I do like timesplitters every once in a while.

The socom series actually has two games coming out this year. One is being done by slant six which is going to relesase an online only socom game with five maps including a remake of a map from socom 2. They will release future content as well after the game. They also supposedly have a socom 4 game coming out in the fall made by the original developers, zipper interactive. If those games are a hit I will really have to think about the ps3.

Well, I guess another deciding factor is if my wife can stop spending our life savings on the kids every chance she gets. Would be nice to spoil myself every once in awhile. :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the PS3 is still the games, too much sci-fi and fantasy. I have watched gameplay movies for Killzone 2, that is just terrible. Gameplay trumps graphics, so I'll take Vegas 2 over junk like that any time.

I would like to have the new Socom by Zipper, but, there would have to be more real world shooters to justify a purchase, in contrast, there are between 10 and 12 games on the 360 I will probably buy in 2008, most of whom offer coop, and these are just from what has been announced so far.