I thought I was going to get kicked!

Rocky

I thought my mouth was going to get me kicked from the TSG tactical server last night, just before some of the SPARTA guys showed up.

I had just newly joined, and maybe got 3 kills in. Then a text message appeared from one of the TSG guys, it mystified me because I had done nothing wrong, it was like a warning for something they thought I was about to do, and that annoyed me a bit.

TSG Guy "Rocky, don't even think about shooting me in my spawn"

Rocky "???"

TSG Guy "Can't you read?"

Rocky "Well, don't sit there then"

It was about then I expected to get kicked for sarcasm.

Anyway, it brought up some more spawn raping considerations. >_<

We were playing on the bog later on and it was the gametype where you have to advance and secure zones A B and C. Area A is actually very very close to the enemy spawn point, so it is actually inevitable that if you are advancing on A you are going to have to fire towards the nearby spawn area.

The second point is that some people when they spawn, will advance 2 or 3 steps and site behind a wall, peeking out or crouched at the corner, and start picking off targets. If someone gets plugged while doing that, it is absolutely fair pickings and there's no way anyone should get called for spawn raping on it, IMHO.

IMO, Bog is a difficult map to avoid the standard "spawn-rape" allegation. It's just about, if not THE, smallest map and the domination mode exacerbates this.

I have on numerous occasions done exactly what you descride, advance a few steps from spawn and hunker down behind cover, usually because there's incomming fire. If I get hit, then I take it on the chin. I've never yet thrown a spawn-rape allegation and I don't expect I will.

Bog is a difficult map for spawn protection and subsequent raping. The side where the AA Gun is in the SP mode is fairly easy to take and advance upon due to the copious amount of cover. You can slowly come up on them and kill them and their spawn will move quite easily to the other side of the map.

This is where it all goes to hell. Once they are at the other side of the map the only true cover a player really has is the metal fence on the one side and the tank. Maybe they could use a dumpster but you can be easily seen by those.

Between those cover points is quite a good distance of space, much less than the opposite side of the map. It is far more difficult to safely enter the opposing spawn without taking a bullet yourself. Also factor in all of the kills from the last spawn move and you can add a couple airstrikes and maybe a helo. All this adds up to a devastating spawn rape.

Whats the solution?

Individual player based: Be conscious of the spawn. If you think you maybe be spawn killing retreat and let them regroup, more often than not they will all come running at LEROY! style, and if you shoot them then... it isnt spawn killing.

Server moderator based:

Reference another sport. Boxing. When one boxer creates a significant advantage over the other the ref pulls the boxers apart and sends them to their corners. Then he starts them again. This sometimes would be difficult at best, but those that see your message will follow suit. The stragglers should be picked off easily without the strength in numbers to protect them.

The player based is far more important and easier implemented than the server based because its more of a conscious decision than a mandate. Honor code all the way.

As far as people sitting in spawn shooting. IF YOU SHOOT OUT OF THE SPAWN... ITS FAIR GAME. They made the decision to add the spawn to the battlefield, not you. Yes, they are gonna ###### about it. Yes, they are wrong.

My $0.02.

+Medic+~SPARTA~

It's funny, since the guys & gals at SPARTA moved from Graw2 to COD4, (we're still tactical btw) the spawn-rape issue has all but vanished. Yes, you get some guys who will run from spawn point to spawn point trying to get that extra little kill, but it's really becoming a moot issue, on our server at least.

Note: (And anyone who knows me from Graw2 knows I ***hed about spawn camping constantly!)

I thought my mouth was going to get me kicked from the TSG tactical server last night, just before some of the SPARTA guys showed up.

The admins on the TSG server are a bit heavy handed; they kicked our very own Zeno just after rocky left,

zeno spawned moved a few steps before remembering to crouch, but it was to late he got kicked no warning

The admins on the TSG server are a bit heavy handed; they kicked our very own Zeno just after rocky left,

zeno spawned moved a few steps before remembering to crouch, but it was to late he got kicked no warning

That's a bit rough, they were handing out verbal reminders while I was on, but to kick for a first "offence", and at spawn too - sounds like a reaction to what was going on elsewhere and not a justification based on repeated running. Pity I had left :devil:

Go Go Zeno!

Rocky, you brute. :lol:

The fix would've been easy for them to include in the game...do like GRAW (at least on console) and have like a 3-5 second invulnerability on the respawn. Gives you enough time to move out and take cover.

It's difficult to have "out of bounds" areas on any of the maps and even harder to enforce, especially when our natural instinct is to shoot when you see the bad guy. Rocky's problem reminds me of the annoying little kid on the playground who would hover around the base so he wouldn't get tagged. Anybody who takes cover in the spawn because they think they're not going to get shot at is an idiot, and if its an admin doing it, then they're a really big idiot.

I haven't played at TSG before, but I will say that when we all played the other night at SPARTA and someone apologized for using the airstrike or helo...that lets you know that the players are honestly trying to play fair.

I'm not a big fan of weak players who wear their big shiny admin badge and substitute power for skill.

Go SPARTA!

I know what you mean Rocky..

As you know i was playing in there quite a bit before i started back to work so i haven't been in there for about a week now but i was starting to get a bit tired of the excessive admin of certain rules, particularly the crouch rule, when someone new would join and before they had a chance to see what was going on they would be bombarded with abuse and swearing from the TSG admins because they hadn't done something they wanted done quick enough.

But they didn't seem to mind the constant fragging of spawn areas and general frag fest that some games deteriorated into and a lot of the other things that were ruining the games but as long as you crouched while you did it were ok.

This was what prompted me to post me previous thread about server rules that we discussed, but i was hoping that things would improve but clearly not, it would be great if we could have a public server running along similar lines.. :hmm:

Last night a new clan showed up on that server, I can't remember their name, it wasn;t the pr0n clan, but it was something like that. They pretty muched owned the server, but one of them got kicked for air striking a spawn point. This was on a very small map, that would have actually been very difficult to miss the spawn point really. It seems to be kick first, questions later with them.

They do seem to allow n00b tubes and blind throwing of frags which is surprising considering they are promoting a tacical server.

As you've probably read here and at the SPART site, our own crouch only game on Friday was a huge success, we had 20 guys in there and the feedback was all positive. So we could leave that server as crouch only, Floyd put up console messages about it being crouch only so we can leave it as that and open it up to the public - with no nade spamming :thumbsup:

Yes mate it certainly looks like it went very well, and if the server is going to setup on the same lines then i will drop in there and see if we draw a crowd .. :rocky:

I will be about this week if everyone is planning on a rematch.. :thumbsup: