Text characters

I was playing online last night and noticed someone using alt-characters in their chat line comments (things like- æ,¶,®,ŧ). I asked about it but didn't get an answer (some people think they have all the power if they hold some secret over you). I just want to know how this was achieved and, if possible, you can use this same method for your online screen name.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I was playing online last night and noticed someone using alt-characters in their chat line comments (things like- æ,¶,®,ŧ). I asked about it but didn't get an answer (some people think they have all the power if they hold some secret over you). I just want to know how this was achieved and, if possible, you can use this same method for your online screen name.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Was the contents of the chat in english, or any other of the languages that uses the same character set?

Otherwise unless you run you OS in Russian, Polish, Czech or any or the other supported languages you will see such things as GRAW2 has support for their keyboard sets which has characters you don't have, as their ASCII table is translated differently. GRAW2 uses the normal ASCII sets for each language, just like every OS. So in that case your text will looks strange for them and theirs for you.

The chat content was all english but then these ASCII characters appeared in someone's chat line (their language was english). I thought at first it might be a glitch in the program, but when I asked about it, they acknowledged that it was intentional and showed me other characters but weren't prepared to explain how it was done. Maybe they had done some scripting or something to allow their program to do this but then I would imagine that they would have got an "altered game files" error.

In Windows, the ASCII characters can be reproduced by pressing ALT followed by a certain key combination on the numberpad. For example, hold down ALT then press 0, then 2, then 3, then 0 on the numberpad all the while keeping ALT held down and you will get 'æ' (more of these codes can be found in Windows 'CharMap' [start -> Run -> type "charmap" without the quotations marks]). I'm not sure if the ALT + numberpad key combo would work in games though.

Edited by WytchDokta

In Windows, the ASCII characters can be reproduced by pressing ALT followed by a certain key combination on the numberpad. For example, hold down ALT then press 0, then 2, then 3, then 0 on the numberpad all the while keeping ALT held down and you will get 'æ' (more of these codes can be found in Windows 'CharMap' [start -> Run -> type "charmap" without the quotations marks]). I'm not sure if the ALT + numberpad key combo would work in games though.

I already know how to create ascii character sets and it does work in certain games (like [GR] for example)...that isn't what I needed to know. The charmap doesn't work either...I've already tried that route. I was under the assumption that it wasn't possible in GRAW2, until I saw it being done. Someone has obviously found a workaround for this but they aren't devulging their, apparently, "closely guarded secret". You would think that they were guarding the secret location of the holy grail or something.

This just adds to the frustration of GRAW2 because it's just another feature that should have been included in final release. It's small and insignificant but you know about that proverbial straw...sooner or later there will be enough on that camel to drop it regardless of how awesome the AI and graphics are...but I digress...

There's obviously some way of inserting ascii in the game...I would just like to know how it's done.

:wall:

Thanks for the help.