System Req Questions

OK, Lets start out wit my specs, I gota Core2Duo Centrino duo 1.6 Ghz (2-cpus)(3.11Ghz), 3 Gigs of ram, Vista :wall: , DX 10, and Mobile Intel 945GM 256MB Graphics card. When I try to run it, I get the error: \

Crash in application version: 29980.2562

Failed setting up render device.

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

OK well before you say my specs are too low, lemme tell you what happened on systemrequirementslab.com.

I play F.E.A.R. alot on my computer, and when I run my system on the website for that game, I get these results:

sysreqfear.jpg

Note it is obviously reading my video card wrong, It says I have a 36mb card when it is a 256....could GRAW2 be reading my card wrong??

Is there a way to bypass like a video card check before running the game, or at least a way to lower the graphics level?

Here is what I got when I ran it for GRAW2:

sysreqgraw2.jpg

Based on systemrequirementslab, FEAR specs are almost the same as GRAW2 and since it read my card wrong I can only assume that I should be able to run GRAW aswell.....please help if you can

Both tests show that your system is only reading 36MB on your card. Check your BIOS to see if "shared video memory" is set correctly to 256MB. Check the "Integrated peripherals" section. On board graphic cards take their memory from the RAM usually so you have to set, in BIOS, how much to share. You could also see what your VGA aperture size is and change it.

So set

Video/VGA shared memory to 256

VGA aperture to 128

As Wolfsong states the test also shows a problem with your Vertex Shader.

After a quick search on your card I also found this, maybe it is a problem Intel need to address?

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Com...d/30234102.aspx

Jack

Edited by ARUJackal

UPDATE: I found this info in my graphics software; DirectX* Version: 10.0

Physical Memory: 3061 MB

Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory: 224 MB

Graphics Memory in Use: 42 MB

Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6

Processor Speed: 1596 MHZ

Theres min. max. and in use....does the "in use" videio memory rise when I run a game, or is it adjustable...

Theres min. max. and in use....does the "in use" videio memory rise when I run a game, or is it adjustable...

I have never heard of a graphics card that determines its own memory size on the fly. I could be wrong with onboard cards, not my specialty. But its usual to set the shared VGA parameters within BIOS for them.

Try this

Run dxdiag

open the last tag (more help)

Click the MSInfo button

in the new window that opens choose "Components"

the click "Display"

that will give you all the info on your card. Have a look down the list and find "Adapter RAM".

This is mine:

Name Radeon X1950 Pro

PNP Device ID

Adapter Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x7280), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description Radeon X1950 Pro

Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6755

INF File oem15.inf (ati2mtag_R580 section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1440 x 900 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Yours should say 256MB (approx)

If not then a call to a support line may be needed.

Jack

if you mean msinfo32.exe, it says cannot collect informqation for just about everything I select(i think the memory I installed a while back screwed up my settings) also in dxdiag it does show my card as 256, but it canot see the manufatcure, chip type, or even my cpu information...something is screwed up with that, so I guess I have no choice but to wipe the HD and start over. However, there is an awesome app out there I found called 3d Analyze, and altho I dont know how to use it, somehow I got graw to start by lanching it with the option "force SW TnL" but I cant start the level...I will try again once I wipe the drive I guess.....Jack, thank you so much for your help :]

Intel Graphic cards have never been suitable for gaming in the past , they are primary 2d and a little opengl support

Onboard cards never have a decent amount of ram and steal ram from your system ram to make up for it .

Why play a resource hungry game on a laptop ? Besides that games run poorly on latops it would chew thou the

battery power.

If you want to game then get a normal dekstop PC not a laptop , or next time choose a laptop with a BETTER

video card , like one of the ones with a Nvidia GO 7000 chipset or better.

Asus sell an addon graphic card for laptops but for the money you would pay for it , you could build a PC.

I wouldn't be too upset that you couldnt play GRAW2 at this point,

its a HUGE letdown compared to GR1 and GRAW1

I suggest before paying for any game software, always grab the SP/MP Demo to see if it works on your computer

and see if its worth supporting legit. (Just like the old shareware concept Try before you buy, eg outlay cash)

Although I would not use a laptop to play games I would be very surprised if we don't see half decent gaming ones soon on the market. What with the marriage between Intel and Nvidia I'm sure laptop babies will be on their way. If not already.

NP Dragonsla, sounds like something has screwed your system. I would also recommend going to your BIOS and loading up the defaults before wiping your HD. If that doesn't work then at least you know everything is set back to factory default (working version).

A couple of helpful programs that will help check and clean your system which I use. google them to find free and demo versions.

Tuneup 2008 (all in one cleaner, styler, reg editor etc)

Sandra (system diag tool, benchmarker etc)

Jack

Although I would not use a laptop to play games I would be very surprised if we don't see half decent gaming ones soon on the market. What with the marriage between Intel and Nvidia I'm sure laptop babies will be on their way. If not already.

There has been decent gaming laptops the last 5 years at least. You just have to pay up and go top of the line all the time for a laptop that handles games well. Like the Dell XPS M1730 that came out a few months ago (GRAW2 is bundled with this laptop). Hook that up to an external monitor for bigger picture if 17" isn't enough and you have a decent gaming rig for sure.

Dell XPS M1730

CPU:

(Selectable) Intel CoreTM 2 Extreme-processor X7900 (2,80 GHz, 4 M L2-cache, 800 MHz FSB)

RAM:

(Selectable) 4 GB23 667 MHz DDR2

GPU:

SLI - Dual 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8700M GS

PPU:

Ageia PhysX-processor

Nice specs but see you didn't quote the price. Dell Dell XPS M1730 Price FROM £1,499 OUCH!

They may be a smaller package but the £ tag is huge. I will never pay over the odds for something I can build for far less. And for £1,499 I could make a nice Quad core desktop and have change for GRAW 3 hehe....

Shows how much I follow the laptop side though. Last one I had was a Dell with a Intel Pentium 3 lol. Still use it as a door stop too. Still, each to their own I guess :)

Jack

I will never pay over the odds for something I can build for far less. And for £1,499 I could make a nice Quad core desktop and have change for GRAW 3 hehe....

You can always get a better desktop for the price of any laptop so I guess that leaves you with never getting a laptop. ;)

EDIT: Oh. And Core 2 Extreme is a Quad core. ;)

The x7900 is dual core.

Extreme is just something they tack onto their top of the line processors, dual or quad.

If its a quad it will have a Q for quad in its model. Like QX9650 ... Which is a quad which is also an extreme. (X for extreme)

But theres also the Q6600 which is a quad but does not have the extreme label....

:zorro:

I have never heard of a graphics card that determines its own memory size on the fly. I could be wrong with onboard cards, not my specialty. But its usual to set the shared VGA parameters within BIOS for them.

Try this

Run dxdiag

open the last tag (more help)

Click the MSInfo button

in the new window that opens choose "Components"

the click "Display"

that will give you all the info on your card. Have a look down the list and find "Adapter RAM".

This is mine:

Name Radeon X1950 Pro

PNP Device ID

Adapter Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x7280), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description Radeon X1950 Pro

Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6755

INF File oem15.inf (ati2mtag_R580 section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1440 x 900 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Yours should say 256MB (approx)

If not then a call to a support line may be needed.

Jack

All Turbo Graphics nvidia cards do this... What happens is they put a little ram on the card, then it leeches off your system ram for any more needed. I have yet to see newer games not have issues with this. You'll see it on a lot of forum boards as people buy these cards at 45$ or less.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.php?for...word=turbocache

Note the 1st one has 256mb but can turbo cache up to 512

All integrated chips do this (Video card built into the mainboard). Some Laptops, higher end ones have none integrated (not built into the mainboard) and have a pluggable card (though you would have to take your laptop apart to see it) that has it's own Dedicated Video card with it's own memory such as the Geforce2go's. These however aren't usually in the cheap laptops and still don't http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

The above place has worked well for my home customers that want to game for laptops. That way they can get all the game fixes of the reference drivers us desktop users have.

Needless to say though. Your intel isn't up to par... one reason is shader. 2nd is adjustable video memory with what appears to be only 8 real mb on the card and steals the rest from system ram.

The x7900 is dual core.

Extreme is just something they tack onto their top of the line processors, dual or quad.

If its a quad it will have a Q for quad in its model. Like QX9650 ... Which is a quad which is also an extreme. (X for extreme)

But theres also the Q6600 which is a quad but does not have the extreme label....

:zorro:

Interesting. I was under the impression Extreme was the old Quad core label. As the evolution was Core 2 Duo -> Core 2 Extreme (which I know is actually quad core as I have one) -> Quad Core. so they are simply hiding different CPU under the same name and you have to look at the serial number, brilliant. There are simply to many labels these days... I which it was as simple as in the 486 days. :P