Anti-tank Claymores....

OldSchoolDanger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, you're only gonna need as many locales for the IDE zones as there are good hiding spots, maybe two or three...? Even with that stated you could stick with one and let player bring the level of hardship upon hisself.....Seems to me gameplay wise that is the real issue with this senario anyway, i.e. can you get the "mine" set....and not come under direct fire? Have the demo spot marked with a show zone that is triggered by the presence of player being in a larger zone, and you can guarantee that the charge is set in the right spot, just shut that down with the script sometime after after tank is KIA...or better yet sometinme after the charge is set properly.... If you use neutral smoke to mark the spot then shut it down shortly after placement it looks kinda like you used smoke to conceal your action..when player enters the trigger zone show a dialogue that directs or suggests player to place the mine in that spot..."hey let's set up a demo over by that...." "I'm marking with smoke now....." am I completely off base here?

EUREKA! I think I may an alternative for ya....! Oddly enough it was done for a mission on Embassy I think...I never saw the tank or played the mission, but I remember reading around here back in the day that Chems(El Davido) created an APC with a hole in it...the idea was player could toss a frag in there and kill the vehicle! I don't know if that thing was static or mobile though, I don't even remember what mod or mission it was..help me out you other old timers...but a good search here should reveal some more info...so as an alternative you could replace the IDE or mine idea with a war hero! This would allow killing the APC at any point along its path and yet give it a fighting chance to survive by killing player! I never messed with awards but I think you could even hand out a medal for the deed? You could even create an impact version of the usual frag in the editor that would give player a better choice between tossing from cover or having to run up to the vehicle and get a regular frag inside?

mig :ph34r:

Okay I'll have to try to figure out how to do that when I get home.

So in other words, the action of the tank explosion is dependent solely upon zones and triggers, correct? I should be able to figure out how to set that up.

Maybe I'll set it up so you have to place the claymore while the tank is stopped (destroying map vehicles) or you don't have a chance. That will pinpoint the zones where a charge will trigger a "destroy vehicle" result, since I'll know where the tank is stopping.

Example:

Path 1. - Stop tank by red car and have tank destoy red car. This is player's opportunity to place claymore. - Boom zone exists directly in front of red car, where tank is slated to stop. Player places charge in zone and tank exists in zone, + time delay for player to make like a baby and head out.... boom. Is that what you're saying will work? That would limit the "peppering" of zones on the map anyway, right?

Path 2. Stop tank by white van and have tank destoy white van. And so on.

The problem I see will be keeping the player from placing the claymore outside of a zone, and then tripping the trigger when the tank rolls over the claymore. The exposion will occur, but the tank will just roll by saying, "neener neener".

I mean these zones have to be small to be realistic. To eliminate this bug, there would have to be hundreds of zones so the player couldn't miss. I'd like to try to avoid that headache if there's a better way.

Maybe a simple explanation in the briefing that the claymore's explosive capabilities only function on a target that is not moving? Does that sound realistic to you guys? 8|

Wait a sec. I thought of a problem.

The player goes into the zone, that the tank is in, and places the claymore. That I can do.

Then there's a time delay while the player runs for cover, and boom. That I can do.

All the while, the player is still holding the trigger for the claymore, and has yet to trip it.

Tank blows up. Man in tank screams like a little girl, and the player squats there wondering who blew up his tank and stole his thunder. :|

Guess it's demo charge or nothing using this scenario huh.

Thanks Bueghler, Niccola, Migryder and all.

you could make it as small as an effect or as large as you want....I would create a tight little zone at least as wide as the car or van and make the prox for the tank 5-7 meters since it is a veh you're doing prox for...and then test that out...if ya mark the zone on the CC at first then show it in the game world when the player is in the area I think you'll have a better prob of getting it right with respect to placement....put something about it in the readme as well...checked your PMs?

ok, here uis a link to that info I mentioned , maybe not that great of an idea, but worth the read anyway...

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=50403

Wait a sec. I thought of a problem.

The player goes into the zone, that the tank is in, and places the claymore. That I can do.

Then there's a time delay while the player runs for cover, and boom. That I can do.

All the while, the player is still holding the trigger for the claymore, and has yet to trip it.

Tank blows up. Man in tank screams like a little girl, and the player squats there wondering who blew up his tank and stole his thunder. :|

Guess it's demo charge or nothing using this scenario huh.

Thanks Bueghler, Niccola, Migryder and all.

Yup, that's why I've been talking demo charge all along. Sadly, there is no way to detect placement or detonation of a claymore in GR, so you really can not script "interesting" things to happen as a result of them. The "solution" for claymores is to have their detonation destroy some map object (or actor) and to trigger the excitement off of that.

If you are content with the "sticky bomb" model of tank destruction (i.e. the player needs to place a demo charge close to the tank, and the tank then explodes some time later) -- then things are VERY easy. You just need a trigger based on a demo charge placement near the tank in question. Then you can wait a bit and destroy the vehicle and do whatever other things you want.

Maybe an actor can be created that is not visible (and doesn't move). Either a friendly, a tango, or even a smaller vehicle.

The demo being placed + the tank being in the zone, could trigger the existence of a hidden actor in the same spot as the tank unbeknownst to the players in the game.

Claymore explodes, actor or vehicle killed, triggering "destoy vehicle" result.

Your thoughts?

Edited by OldSchoolDanger

Well I had been trying to do this without depending on any mod, but that is probably futile. I posted my solution to "demo as AT mine" here. It uses the "null_actor" from Mission HX / HX5 / AlphaSquad mod / ... to keep track of where the demo charge is placed. I think it is better to use an actor instead of a vehicle, since you can kill the actor in order to avoid any problems with things "bumping" into it.

Briefing

• Insert without demo charges
  • Wait 5 seconds
  • Move to side of pickup truck to get MP5 + Demo
  • Move SE and place a charge on the road
  • Wait for the tank to drive by

Notes

• Player team is "shadowed" (so the tank will not shoot you)
  • Detonation radius for the mine is 5m
  • The mine will appear as a dead tango on the command map.
    Make the "Marker Company" allied if you want it to look like a dead friendly.

Edited by Buehgler_AS

w00t DONE!!!!!! w00t

Okay, the invisible character worked! Thanks Niccola!

I gave the actor the following attributes:

Alertness: Bored

Combat ROE: Recon

Movement ROE: Advance

Pace: Walk

I don't know if these attributes were necessary, but I threw them in nonetheless.

I gave the actor a FOLLOW command so he would walk 1 meter behind the tank as the tank followed a path.

I created a "DEATH ACTOR" trigger which resulted in a "DESTROY VEHICLE" response.

I walked between the tank and the actor, laid the claymore, took cover, and tripped the trigger. Boom! The tank was toast:

tank.jpg

There was a nasty blood spot where the actor used to be:

bloodstain.jpg

Here's the only flaw I see:

shadow.jpg

Now I know what GWRS meant when he said, "You can bump on him". I did bump into him. Plus as you can see in the picture, his shadow was plain as day. :D

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I'm here, any way to get rid of the shadow alltogether? :hmm:

outstanding, a dynamic solution..

EDIT:

and yet I have some Qs...

1. given a follow command, a team (in this case your actor only) will still react to enemy gunfire or sightings even if bored and when they do the veh they are following will stop and you're screwed? ..while merrily following a veh will null actor start chattering for no good reason?

2. this null actor must be invincible until the right moment, just in case...I guess he is undectable? and... .I'm confused on this whole bumping into the collision walls of a tank lets say after destruction or an actor for that matter...during my look see I also teleported both the KIA regular actor and the KIA tank after killin both and in SP anyway there is no problem with doing that with a dead actor or veh though any animations related to veh destruction would be left behind....audio only in my test(snoldering tank) but in the case of a null veh w/o a death ani this would be avoided, of course in your senario a null veh would have to be a truck for KIA success so it would need null actor to drive it and he may jump out if fire from enemy comes his way! Stopping down the whole parade yet again! seems to me you'll be living dangerously however you go... there needs to be a lot of testing of your senario in mission to understand as many drawbacks as you may encounter...good luck

1. Given a follow command, a team (in this case your actor only) will still react to enemy gunfire or sightings even if bored and when they do the veh they are following will stop and you're screwed? ..while merrily following a veh will null actor start chattering for no good reason?

I think one or more of the following commands help to keep the actor from being distracted by enemy fire:

Alertness: Bored

Combat ROE: Recon

Movement ROE: Advance

Pace: Walk

I've tested it a few times, and the schmoe follows his tank no matter what else is going on. I think I've created a Forrest Gump of GR tangos ("Because you told me to, drill sar-geant!")

As for the vehicle stopping, when it does, Forrest Gump does as well. And he always stays within a meter of the tank, whether he runs to one side or the other, or directly behind.

I added details in the briefing indicating that the most succeptable part of the tank is the rear, so that is where the team should place the claymore. Not that I know anything about tanks, but it sounded good.

As for the vehicle stopping and shooting the player with it's MG, that's the challenge. The tank does turn it's turret and try to shoot you, but if you move quickly enough, you can place the mine and get out of sight, and the tank will resume it's route.

2. This null actor must be invincible until the right moment, just in case...I guess he is undectable?

It's impossible to kill the invisible Forrest Gump with gunfire for whatever reason. Claymore's yes, bullets no.

I'm confused on this whole bumping into the collision walls of a tank lets say after destruction or an actor for that matter.

The bumping problem exists when you run through (over) the shadow of the invisible Forrest Gump. You think you're running straight, then you get diverted, as if you ran into the back of a team member and shucked to one side.

In addition, Forrest is a chatterbox. It would be nice to shut him up.

During my look see I also teleported both the KIA regular actor and the KIA tank after killin both and in SP anyway there is no problem with doing that with a dead actor or veh though any animations related to veh destruction would be left behind....audio only in my test(snoldering tank) but in the case of a null veh w/o a death ani this would be avoided, of course in your senario a null veh would have to be a truck for KIA success so it would need null actor to drive it and he may jump out if fire from enemy comes his way! Stopping down the whole parade yet again! seems to me you'll be living dangerously however you go... there needs to be a lot of testing of your senario in mission to understand as many drawbacks as you may encounter...good luck

This part I do not understand.

You can work on the atr attributes "scaleX, Y and Z" and make him very small :)

I thought about this, but I thought this might make it difficult for him to keep up with the tank with his little legs.

the point about concern over the collision walls causing you to "bump" is teleporting the object off map, whatever it is, after it has served its purpose should take care of that...? I killed a tank in SP and ran right to where it was and of course through there...hence, why worry if you can teleport whatever it is? Thus the confusion over the fuss about it..

glad to hear he is not paying attention, but it sounds like he is friendly being fired on by friends...I'll have to convince myself since I quit using follow for teams long ago not liking some of the side effects like that...

sounds like this is the best solution for sure anway and could be used for some other surprises...

EDIT - ok I just set my dummy guy(a standard Frostbite enemy) to At All Costs and Follow and he pretty much stuck to plan regardless...I think Set to Bored is default anyway, of course you probably set that to locked...so that concern was mute!

and yes if the veh stops they should stop too, its the flip side that bugs me...the biggest reason I mostly quit using follow had to do with them "rubber banding" while doing so..looks goofy in game..course not a prob with your guy...

mig, as far as i remember, there were some veichle mods with some veichles that needed the driver, so if the claymore explosion can kill the driver the veichle would be tagged as destroyed

<DamageThroughWalls>0.000000</DamageThroughWalls>

this is the line to work on.

The only problem is that player can cheat using the same mines to kill people behind walls etc.

EDIT

Instead of giving the actor a plan, why dont you set a timer every second that teleports the actor in the veh?

Something like...

"Time elapse: 1 second(s)"

"Allow this block to be reactivated"

"Teleport ACTOR to Veh1"

Or maybe every 3/5 Seconds, as you prefer.

Obviously, actor invisible to game, bored, maybe a kit with no ammo, etc. Or best, toggle off the AI for that actor, so he shouldnt talk. Hide from map too, since if he's unarmed it would appair on map as a yellow square.

I fear that a well placed grenade launcher shot can kill him, by the way. Or a nade that explodes under the tank (since if i remember well tanks are kinda "empty inside...not sure though). I dont think that a random bullet would ever hit him, but there's this chance too. scaling to 1/10 is a must.

Edited by ita_killabees