Anti-tank Claymores....

OldSchoolDanger

Hi all,

I am trying to modify the original GR Embassy mission so co-op team members need to get a tank to roll over a claymore in order to destroy it (the player stands clear and trips the trigger).

Does anyone know how to either make the claymore.itm as powerful as the missle.prj, or make any of the tank vehicles able to be destroyed by the claymore?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've spent quite a few hours trying different file modifications and I can't make the claymore have the same impact as the missle (rocket).

At this point I'm under the impression that a tank can only be destroyed by a projectile (.prj) of some kind, and not an item (.itm). Then again, I thought one of you might be able to help me.

Thanks,

D

Edited by OldSchoolDanger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanks can be destroyed just with the impact of a projectile, with these settings in the .prj file:

<DetonateOnImpact>1</DetonateOnImpact>

<VisualExplosionType>2</VisualExplosionType>

I guess my question is, can tanks be destroyed with the impact of an explosion casued by a hand held item (claymore)?

Having any issues with the Demo Charges?

I didn't think you could place a demo charge in front of a tank and then trigger it to explode like you can with a claymore.

9MS had a lot of CTD when trying to create a hand held claymore, and left it there. I see what you are after, but difficult to say.

Demo Charge works by:

You need to script the damage in Igor, demo charged placed, tank within 2 m of demo zone. Activate effect. Boom.

Can the effect from the Claymore be used?

I'm not sure how you do this with a claymore. If you wanted to do it with a demo charge acting as an anti-tank mine (no command detonation required), then that is either "easy" or near impossible depending on the level of "realism" you would want. Basically, the difficulty comes from a GR script not being able to pinpoint where a demo charge has been placed, or even who placed it. Rather, the script is only told that a charge has in fact been placed in a zone.

To get around this, here is what I would do:

1) disallow the players to bring demo charges (check the count of charges just after insert and abort of they have any).

2) make a "special" kit available in game (at a jeep or other landmark). trigger a kit reassignment for just one player when they get this kit, and remember the player.

3) you can now have a large zone attached to a demo placement trigger

4) when the demo is placed teleport a hidden effect to the location of the player carrying the mines (depending on how many charges you give them, you could make this work more than once with more script magic)

5) enable proximity triggers for the vehicles you want to have be susceptible to the mines

6) destroy vehicles and set off effects if/when a target hits a mine

The simpler alternative would be to force the player to place the mine(s) at specific locations. This avoids all the complexity about keeping track of who has the mines and teleporting effects around the map.

Best of luck

The simpler alternative would be to force the player to place the mine(s) at specific locations. This avoids all the complexity about keeping track of who has the mines and teleporting effects around the map.

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

When I play the mission in co-op, I can place the mine (claymore) myself. The problem is, when I trip the trigger, the claymore explodes, but it does no damage to the tank.

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

When I play the mission in co-op, I can place the mine (claymore) myself. The problem is, when I trip the trigger, the claymore explodes, but it does no damage to the tank.

Sorry, I was referring to using a demo charge as the mine, and then having the script destroy the vehicle. But this does not have the "command detonation" that you seem to be striving for. Sorry, if that is really what you want, then I'm afraid I can not offer any suggestions.

i did a tourney mission a while back using a timed demo charge.

the tank would follow a path and the players had to place a demo at the right time so that 30 seconds later the tank would be passing that spot - if the tank was in the zone when the timer expired then tank went to byebye - if not, then u sucked.

it requires precision timing and the ability to leave cover without being spotted, place the charge and retreat to cover again...then wait and prey.

v cool.

Edited by SCE_Lightspeed

Demo Charge works by:

You need to script the damage in Igor, demo charged placed, tank within 2 m of demo zone. Activate effect. Boom.

The problem I see with this, is creating the demo zone, and then timing the placement just right ,to be able to place the charge in just the right spot. 1. It would be hard to explain, in a briefing, exactly where the player needs to place the charge. And 2. It doesn't seem very realistic to indicate that this would be the only way a player could kill the tank.

I was thinking, as I was driving to work this morning, that I could command a tango to "Enter Vehicle" (the tank). Then I was thinking that the claymore explosion might kill the person inside the tank, especially if I set the parameters of the charge to "detonate through walls".

Then, the "death actor" trigger could create a "destroy vehicle" result.

I guess it's a matter of getting an actor inside the tank, since "death vehicle" isn't an option.

Is it possible to model a tank that is tagged as a truck? If so, would the claymore kill that?

I wonder if hand held items can kill smaller vehicles. Hmmm. I guess they do disable some vehicles, don't they. How would I go about modeling "a tank that is tagged as a truck"? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks again for all of the replies. The information is very helpful.

D

here ya go OldSchoolDanger, vehicles tagged as a truck...proof in the pudding as they say....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/mi...LAYMOREKILL.jpg

so that would work...but now we come to the ever weird Q of whether the veh will use its mg on ya if there is a driver aboard...apperantly some do and some don't..my money is on whether or not the driver can "see" you, in this case he cannot....I would state maybe cause its a hummer that fies and a jeep or M35 won't, but this veh is tagged a s a hummer I think..at least it shows in the veh editor that way...I mention that because I guess you are looking to put player under pressure while he or she does the dirty deed...you could of course use a support squad for that as a last resort...

mig :ph34r:

Actually, in this mission, the player has the opportunity to place the claymore in front of the tank while the tank is distracted as it is "destroying actors", in this case, 2 map objects.

The mission starts with the tank rolling around to the insertion zone. The players obviously run behind a short wall to get clear of the tank, then the tank destroys the green and red car one by one. This was done in an effort to give the impression that the tank is shooting at the hiding players.

The players are stuck behind the short wall because to the right of them are 5 other tangos blocking their escape. It's hilarious to play, because when the tank shoots it's four shells at the 2 vehicles, the map rocks so violently, it's impossible to aim. Plus the noise is just really cool. This is the time delay necessary to get a claymore on the road in front of the tank.

The object is to kill the five guys, then place the claymore and get out of the way. I've been run over a few times. The guys I play with get a kick out of me getting squashed.

Or, you can wait until the tank goes around the block, as it is on a track path. In either case, you still have to place the mine, take cover, and trip the trigger when the tank is on top of the mine. My point is, you can place the mine without getting seen by the tank.

I'll look at that URL when I get home from work. Thank you!

Here ya go OldSchoolDanger, vehicles tagged as a truck...proof in the pudding as they say....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/mi...LAYMOREKILL.jpg

I couldn't wait till I got home. I had to look. Okay, so how do you "tag a vehicle as a truck"?

THANK YOU!

as far as I know its actually done in 3DS Max when the veh model is created...you can look in the vehicle editor of IGOR and see how it is tagged....that pic only shows that a truck can be destroyed by a claymore, tanks are truly a different matter and it reads like you would want a tank for sure in your mission...

as far as I know its actually done in 3DS Max when the veh model is created...you can look in the vehicle editor of IGOR and see how it is tagged....that pic only shows that a truck can be destroyed by a claymore, tanks are truly a different matter and it reads like you would want a tank for sure in your mission...

Sounds like I need 3DS Max huh? Yeah I looked all through the vehicle editor in IGOR and there aren't many options for editing. Unless I'm missing something, that is.

That pic is of a truck? It looks like a tank. Especially because it says, "Enemy Armor Eliminated" in the upper left. I guess you modified a tank to have truck attributes (armor?)? And you did this in 3DS Max? If so, would it be possible to send that modified model to me? Could it be as simple as that?

I'm just reaching at this point. 1. I'm not really clear on how you destroyed that "tank" in your picture. And 2. I'm not sure how I'd be able to recreate what you were able to do.

I appreciate your help and your time. That goes for the rest of you as well.

D

By the way, I haven't been able to get a tango to enter the tank (enter vehicle).

I think that is setup in 3DSmax when the model is created. To my knowledge you can't load/unload stock GR tanks with actors.

If you were to buy a copy of Max it is very expensive. Also, the latest version has some limitations with GR and most that model for GR use version 4 or 5? I have heard of a demo but I don't know any details.

There are plenty here that do though.

here is what I would do:

[...a long plan about how to make demo charges work as anti-tank mines...]

Yes, that is what I would try to do, and it would fail miserably.

This "great" idea about teleporting effects to keep track of where demo charges were placed had popped into my head as I was finishing up a tourney mission about a year ago, but I never had a place to use it. That is until I saw this thread. Well I tried to mock it up last night, and then I discovered that while you can teleport players to effects, the inverse does not work (you can not teleport effects at all). There is probably a way to produce the same effect, but I think I either need one of Hammer's very small "vehicles" that would look like a mine, or I need to do it as an "IED" on a dead actor -- the former is not just a mission script so I dislike it because of the logistical complexity, the latter is stylistically unattractive to me.

Oh well, based on the evolution of the thread at least you did not waste much time chasing my untested idea.

In the end, I think that if you want to simulate an AT mine in GR, you need to pepper the map (well at least the path of any potential targets) with effects/zones that can be used to "record" where the mine was placed.

If anyone is really interested in any of these versions of the AT mine thing, send me a PM and I will see if I can mock something up for you.

Edited by Buehgler_AS

Sounds like I need 3DS Max huh? Yeah I looked all through the vehicle editor in IGOR and there aren't many options for editing. Unless I'm missing something, that is.

That pic is of a truck? It looks like a tank. Especially because it says, "Enemy Armor Eliminated" in the upper left. I guess you modified a tank to have truck attributes (armor?)? And you did this in 3DS Max? If so, would it be possible to send that modified model to me? Could it be as simple as that?

I'm just reaching at this point. 1. I'm not really clear on how you destroyed that "tank" in your picture. And 2. I'm not sure how I'd be able to recreate what you were able to do.

I appreciate your help and your time. That goes for the rest of you as well.

D

first - I did not create that model, it is a BDRM2 created by cobaka for the ArmeniaScared mod where it first appeared...it might be best to get in touch with cobaka and ask him what he did in the process...he and the rest of the ArmeniaScared mod team have allowed me to use it in the winter mod P2...so being a BDRM2 it is light armor in the real word but unlike the heavy armor tanks in GR it can be destroyed with just about any munition in GR including shooting all the tires out a la any GR truck, no terrible destruction animation but KIA anyway...I simply placed a claymore on that road while the 'tank' approached and detonated it when I saw fit...I had invincibility on so I could get close for the pic...that thing does require a driver BTW and while the driver is aboard it will not fire on you...as soon as he bails out though it goes guns ablazing..

now Blakarion has several BDRM2 variants in his mod for OPFOR vehs but they are tanks and require an AT round for destruction...I believe cobaka's is actually a hummer in disguise....so my pic post was to show the results of testing tro see if a truck could be destroyed with a claymore mine....

having a look in IGOR...cobaka's shows as a Humvee...Blakarion's shows as an APC..re: Enemy Armor Eliminated -I guess if ya kill a Humvee it is considered armor by the engine or there is something done in Max that determines that...irregardless of any IGOR vehicle editor setting...

if this does not also answer your PM satisfactorily, give me another shout there and I'll help as best I can...but I do not have Max or know how to use it much at all...