Co-Op Commands

Guys, before the question, an apology;

my question is probably very obvious and known to most if not all on here and I am sorry for asking it if that is so but I spent a good 20 minutes searching for the answer and since it should be so easy to answer, I went right ahead and...

Playing the campaign co-op, is there a way that I as the server host, can send commands to the human ghosts in my team?

I can't select them in the top left menu and they don't see the general squad commands I make. I'm guessing it is just a feature that is not available in the game (shame) but is there a mod which helps with this or perhaps am I... doing it wrong?

Thanks for your patience with a quite obvious noob.

Squidy

It worked fairly well in :AW, so I guess if you wanted to be cynical about it, you could say the GRIN optimised it right out of :AW2. Afterall, all those functional elements take up resources/space that they seem to prefer to fill with bells and whistles.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46279

I really don't understand game developers.

I mean I love single player games (and still love GRAW2 for that), I like multiplayer (played a lot of BF2) but of all the game types I hanker after, co-op is the one. My bro and I taking on the AI with teamwork; nothing better. We've tried so many games (practically anything that says it has a co-op mode) and not a single one has proven satisfactory.

<rant>It's not a hard concept; make a game where you need to use team work to complete a task. Make it so that the team as a whole functions better than the sum of it's parts. It's why people have been playing team sports for 100s of years for goodness sake!</rant>

This was my pet peeve issue when GRAW2 was released. It was my favorite feature in GRAW1.

I reported it during every bug cycle. I made high profile posts about it while the developers were actively communicating with us. there are a lot of well defined reports on it now. Not only the lack of this feature but other domino effects of this mising feature.

If it does not appear in the final patch, i will be greatly dissapointed. I will prbably put 20 more hours of play into GRAW2 rather than hundreds of hours of that premier feature of GRAW1 continues to sleep with the fishes.

I must be missing something here. Do you guys not use voice?

Yeah I use TS.

"Hey Steven, you see the building to your left? No the other left. No the left when you were facing the other direction before you turned. No, before the lag. That left. Cool. Right look at the building to the north; it's north face, directly behind that, you see the tower? No? Oh yeah, it's occluded at your angle. Okay move to your left. No, wait the other... yeah. Keep going. Yep that one. Okay look at the west side of it, there is a guy up there, take him."

versus

*click*

I must be missing something here. Do you guys not use voice?

Squid got it exactly right. He beat me to it.

Of course we use Teamspeak.

GRAW coop is a dangerous environment. since we dont have the use of our arms to point to locations etc, the system built into GRAW1 (absent in GRAW2) was great. and the swirling 3D circles of GRAW2 was even more literal and specific. but we cant apply them to human players.

Now ontrast the example that squid gave (which is what we are stuck with) to what it sounded like in my GRAW1 squad when we had this premier featuer.

"Steve, go here, keep your eyes focused west"

"Bob, advance beyond Steve, to here, eyes north in transit"

"Bill. Covere here".

Qiuck, precise, non ambiguous. The technique of bounding overwatch for squad movement becomes a reality adn the expereince flows as it should. squad interaction gets oh so way tight.

It was the single best expereince of GRAW1 by far. its gone in GRAW2.

Okay yeah I see what you mean. It sounds just a tad too conveniant for my taste, but I have to say that it's still better than not having it, due to the limitations inherant in a pc environment vs real world. Frankly I prefer realistic moments of confusion and difficult situations that the environment can throw at you (line of sight, disorientation, etc), but then again this is often compounded to an unrealistic level, again because of virtual enviro limitations.

Edited by doubletap

There is nothing realistic about a 2D screen and the inability to look into your partners eyes, look at his hand signals and look at his body language ... head gestures etc...all the things we do to communicate in silence.

I propose that GRAW 1's method is not a cheat at all. or a decrease in realism. Rather it is a increase in realism as it supports the natural elements of silent human communication that is lost on the PC screen.

it was brillaint in its simplicity and i want it back.

: )

Well I'm saying I think it is a cheat of sorts and unrealistic, but the limitations of pc vs real world you stated, such as no eye contact or hand signals, are equally, if not more unrealistic than this feature is, so it serves a reasonable purpose, and is therefore an acceptable 'cheat', even though that's a strong word to use for it.

It gives you advantages you really shouldn't have, but they serve to counter disadvantages you shouldn't have. But that's not to say it's "realistic". That's the only difference in our viewpoints, I guess.

This ability to Order human players to move, cover, attack etc is a huge lose for GRAW 2 in my opinion. These are, in my eyes, general commands. You give the player the order to "move to" and its down to them to make that move how they see fit. It still adds the confusion quota due to the nature of how that player moves to position. A bad player could choose the straight route and 'wing it' a good player could leap frog from cover. You never know. Give a player the cover command and he still has his common sense to change the cover area or turn to take on flanking targets. Combining the oral (TS, VOIP) and visible commands adds to the teamwork. The more communication a game has the tighter the game play is as a team.

There are so many games out that could be great [GR] type cooperative games, only if they had that mode. GRAW 2 has the mode but has left out some of the "classic coke" content.

Jack

Well I'm saying I think it is a cheat of sorts and unrealistic, but the limitations of pc vs real world you stated, such as no eye contact or hand signals, are equally, if not more unrealistic than this feature is, so it serves a reasonable purpose, and is therefore an acceptable 'cheat', even though that's a strong word to use for it.

This really is a peculiar way of looking at it! Until we have full body immersion suits, the best a computer game can do is be a simulation - unavoidable compromises in graphics, AI, sound and especially interface mean the game can never be anything other than an immitation of the real life events it portrays.

Surely it would be less realistic than to have no way of communicating with your team mates than to have a translated immitation of communication? That is all the GRAW 2 communication functions serve to do - to replace the voice and hand commands that would be used in real life but which have no direct translation via a computer interface.

In the end regardless of interface, what a designer has to do is come up with a control scheme that best translates the experience, thought processes and feedback that you might experience in real life, even if that means that the end result is an unavoidably large departure from its real life equivalent.

After all, sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard is still as close as we can get to embodying another person be it running through Juarez with a semi-automatic weapon or jumping across large platforms in a land called "Xen".

Edited by Squidinker

Fixed!

say what?

He said some I say Most.

There are so many games out that could be great [GR] type cooperative games, only if they had that mode. GRAW 2 has the mode but has left out MOST of the "classic coke" content.

Jack

Fixed!

I have actually only played coop once in graw2, that was with my brother tonight. And we used teamspeak, it worked out nicely. Hopefully next time we will be more people because I ordered 4 more copies during the holidays, my brother got one, and two friends have two of them. The fourth one is still in the box here on the floor. They where like $12 a piece, sale on cdon.se.

Now on friday, hey, that is actually today, I am hoping for 4 people coop with all people using teamspeak.

So anyone bought more copies than me That is five...=)