How Are You Doing With Your Upgrades?

Cpl Ledanek

I don't plan on upgrading until 2010 but here's my current wish list:

Processor: AMD Athlon 5600+ Socket AM2 (2.8 gigahertz) 65 nanometer

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3

Random Access Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 4 gigabytes PC2 6400

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGE86256GTOC2FE GeForce 8600GT 256 megabyte 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

how much are you looking into this? i got a co-worker who wants to upgrade also and he's budget is around $600, reusing HD,CD-ROM, FLOPPY, but do need a newer CPU/MOBO/RAM..he wants a media center though :(

but I might copy this wishlist for him...it looks good :thumbsup:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are you looking into this? I got a co-worker who wants to upgrade also and he's budget is around $600, reusing Hard Drive,CD-ROM, FLOPPY, but do need a newer CPU/MOBO/RAM..he wants a media center though :(

but I might copy this wishlist for him...it looks good :thumbsup:

I have spent several hours compiling my wish list. I talked with some computer technicians online and they gave me some great advice. Feel free to copy my list.

ok, I managed not burn myself and the house....pictures gallery is here...too many to post one by one with ImageShack...ok here's a preview:

939404103kxt1jyzstackertd2.th.jpg

here's the other LED resting on LED window, next to the RESET button

939404082j484ivnstackerwg8.th.jpg

I used this LinRose SuperBrite LED B4304H91 10000mcd 5mm Red 2.2Vf @20mA viewing angle-20

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

Well, since my case is not put together yet, I thought I made use of the 120mm fan and blow directly to the PMW?/PWM? and up some of the settings

31808uguruxk5.th.jpg

see if you could do some recommendations

as always advance thanks:biggrin:

started early this morning

31808cw8.th.jpg

31808aaj4.th.jpg

31808byd7.th.jpg

this is next day already::biggrin:

31808czt2.th.jpg

Yep very nice cards. I've seen some going for around $140 after mail in rebate. That's only $50 more then what I paid for my 7600gt last year. I'm very tempted to pick one up with the tax return money.

• 2 weeks later...

couple of changes:

1) switch thermal paste Artic Silver 5 Ceramique to Artic Cooling MX-2 @:

a) CPU

b ) PWM/Mosfet

c) NB

d) SB

2) Xigmatek RS-1283 push-pin changed to Thermalright 775 Bolt-Thru kit

3) PWM/Mosfet now cooled with a Scythe Mini-KazeSY124010L 40mm fan

3500rpm, 4.11cm, 14dba, 12v/0.06A

4) WD 5000AAKS SATA now caged in CM 830 HD case cooled with stock 120mm Blue LED

Previous

31808czt2.th.jpg

Current:

33108nh2.th.jpg

Orthos Blend test after adjusting the FSB DRAM to 1:1

33108blendcpuramdt7.th.jpg

and adding a 120mm fan over the PWM

Posting if someone could tell me if there are any improvements with posted updates...I tried to copy setting from previous as much as possible.

But having more eyes on it, is better than just a pair

As always advance thanks

Im thinking about a ddr3 complete system but still waiting on prices to drop a bit.

MB Asus

Asus P5E3 Premium/Wifi@N Intel X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

This would be my start point.

Still thinking about other components.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a n00b who looked, asked around, and collected answers on the question of: Is there a temp change when the Abit IP35 PRO is placed CPU DOWN/ATX or CPU UP/reversed ATX?

Now collecting all my post, see if there is a difference in temperature, at least, maybe forgoing performance issues at this time.

IP35 PRO inside Stacker 830 SE...inverted ATX..

4608invertedatx0minutesdl6.th.jpg

stacker830095as5.th.jpg

32 minutes into it:

4608invertedatx32minutesq7.th.jpg

Now, I'll try regular ATX, or as someone says, "right side up."

stacker830097hp3.th.jpg

4708atx0minutesoq0.th.jpg

2hrs...

4708atx2hrsqf9.th.jpg

Finally 14 hrs on ATX

4708atx14hrssa6.th.jpg

So, is there a temp change?

Specs:

342181.png

XP PRO SP2/ ABIT IP35 Pro v1.1 = Newegg for $99 MIR BIOS v.16beta09/ Intel C2D E8400 Batch Q748A223 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 1.80V ver4.1/ Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF/ CM Stacker 830SE

did I leave anything out? :unsure:

btw: BestBuy has/had a clearance of Full Tower Aluminum Lian-Li case, rebadged as "Rocketfish." It's huge!!! lots of room for watercooling and extra long vidcards...get this....$47.99...yes a Full Tower Aluminum Lian-Li normally over $110-120 :thumbsup:

I screwed up...I'm supposed to do the CPU + RAM...instead I did the small FTT-whatever testing only the CPU. I did say I was a n00b. :P

is there such thing as pulling hot temp from HD? I got a Stacker 830 which comes with cage for HD with fan pushing cool air to the HD, to cool it down.

now I see there are push-pull cooling for CPU heatsink.

would pulling warm air from HD apply here too.

basically what I'm trying to do is suspend HD with bungee cords vs caging them. then placing the 120mm fan to pull hot air.

anyone done this before?

It's all about how much air you move across your components. Think about how much more air you feel moving in front of a fan as opposed to behind it. Sure, a fan can only blow out as much air as it draws in, but the air blowing away from the fan is in a more concentrated stream and components in that stream are consequently cooled more effectively.

As far as push/pull combo setups, you might get more effective cooling if the fans work together to form a "tunnel" of air. Of course, for components to benefit, they must be in the tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

going against the grain, again...
Looking good, Ledanek. :thumbsup:

You do contract work?...I've got a side panel here in dire need of a make-over.

going against the grain is my "warning"...n00b wannabe posing as a modder :whistle: ... I'll assist if you bring a gallon of elbow grease :rofl: ... wait till it actually works then we'll talk contract :rolleyes:

whatcha got going? maybe I can point a direction. :thumbsup:

^

Thinking about replacing the lexan piece with a filtered grill, possibly with an additional side-mount fan directed to agitate the lower rear (GPU) area of the chassis...warm air is supposed to rise, but apparently not in my case. :D

^

Thinking about replacing the lexan piece with a filtered grill, possibly with an additional side-mount fan directed to agitate the lower rear (GPU) area of the chassis...warm air is supposed to rise, but apparently not in my case. :D

I'm sorry but I don't remember what kind of pc case you have :(

^

Thanks for the link...looks like the place to start. :thumbsup:

____

I've got an EVGA 8800GTX (768-P2-N831-AR) which does not get abnormally hot, its just that that area of the chassis does not circulate well.