Spawn Killing ?

Zebb

What is peoples opinion of this so called "tactic" ?

Personally i feel that it is probably the most heinous thing anyone can do in a game followed closely by people who save up their air strikes and helo attacks for the start of a new game and spawn rape on a massive scale.

It happens in nearly every server i have tried to play on including the SPARTA pne in which a guy called "Bertie" started by overlooking the spawn with his weapon with which he got some kills, he then moved right into the middle of the spawn with his knife and tried to get people before they could even get a weapon up.

I have to say that it is exactly this type of thing that is ruining what could be a good game but there just doesn't seem to be any sense of integrity or decency by some people who feel that anything goes as long as they rack up their score, but i guess since society also seems to lack these attributes nowadays and people are being brought up to think that they can take what they want with no consequences then maybe gaming just reflects everything i dislike in the real world.....

Well said bruv, I am at a lost to think why people even use these type of tactics becuase at the end of the day the only person they are fooling are themselves as this sort of carrying on just proves how lame they are at the game or games in question, as it happens across the board now, and probably reflects on their on real life character. :angry:

Bertie is a regular on the Sparta server, seen him loads of times.

I actually have not got my head around the spawning system. I thought I read somewhere that CoD4 uses some sort of intelligent spawning system so that you always spawn somewhere different...? If that's the case how are people managing to exploit spawning and racking up the kills? Is it the first spawn on a new map you are seeing this on, I think thats the only time everyone spawns together at a known location..? But how would he get there so quickly?

It's not something I have ever seen so I assumed this spawn system had eradicated this evil practice.

Yes, spawn camping is extremely annoying, especially on full or near full FFA servers.

Some people tend to find a spot and stay there till they are compromised.

There also seems to be more people placing claymores in spawn areas, areas where you are trapped, if you move, boom! I hate that.

Bertie is a regular on the Sparta server, seen him loads of times.

I actually have not got my head around the spawning system. I thought I read somewhere that CoD4 uses some sort of intelligent spawning system so that you always spawn somewhere different...? If that's the case how are people managing to exploit spawning and racking up the kills? Is it the first spawn on a new map you are seeing this on, I think thats the only time everyone spawns together at a known location..? But how would he get there so quickly?

It's not something I have ever seen so I assumed this spawn system had eradicated this evil practice.

I don't know about that mate all i know is that on this occasion i spawned by the containers and i was shot as i tried to leave the area and seconds later when i spawned in the container again he was there trying to knife me when i died in an air strike on the spawn, obviously i watched it all in the deathcam...

Aside from the opening spawn location, I think you will always spawn next to a live team mate or team mates. So if that player happens to be in the middle of a firefight, you could be dropped into the thick of things before your ready.

The airstrike thing carrying over is absolutely stupid as some purposefully hold onto it in hopes of the next round spawn kill. Its something that server admins usually stop people from doing.

The spawn system in CoD4 has been referred to as "Progressive Respawns" or 'PR spawns'.

The game obviously knows where your teammates are and that you need to respawn (I think Rocky spends more time respawning than he does actually playing. but anyway).

The game then looks for the greatest concentration of players that are still alive and will span you in the middle of them. Or if none are still alive, it should spawn the first one at the initial spawn base on game start, then subsequent players spawning will be based on the original PR spawns rules.

The problem with the airstrikes and helos are you CAN save them for the next round. I truly believe that they should be reduced to a UAV and then you can earn more. What I really hate is that if you dont use your uav before you earn an airstrike, you dont get to use it, you earned it, you should be able to use it at your leisure.

As far as Bertie doing this, I will send this to an admin and they can pursue this as they seem fit. I personally dont think that this is cool by any means. The game shouldnt allow it to be used until 30 seconds (or a time set by the server admin in setup.) Call it something cheeky like, "waiting for satellites to initialize" or something like that.

Bottom line is, they could have built this feature much, much better. But they didnt. So, I relegate this as to something that only happens once in a while and while, yes it sucks a big one and the immediate game play suffers, the overall game play is still intact. If it starts happening everyday. To you, then well, you better find your peace with it. If not... good hunting.

Thanks for the reply Medic.

I realise that its "one of those things" that happens in games and I have no doubt that I'm not the only player who feels frustrated by it, I suppose i would hope by now that people would take a moment to realise that it takes no skill to kill someone disorientated in a spawn zone and that it will only lead to bad feeling and all that comes with it during a game which just spoils it for everyone.

I know during a couple of games I have turned around to see 4 or 5 enemy players behind me where there were none before and realised that the spawn point must have changed, instead of lobbing a frag in their direction I have made a point of moving away towards my "friendly" lines before attempting to engage them, normally ending in me getting shot for my efforts but at least I fee as though I played in the "spirit" of the game but I guess in the end it has to be a personal decision.

Well also look at this from a psychological warfare point. If you start the game off with an airstrike or helo, it will ###### the other team off, possibly throwing off their game for a bit. I know I dont play nearly as well when i get frustrated, because I am so preoccupied with what has already happened. So preoccupied for the moment, that I am not thinking about what I am doing at that moment.

It can be a useful tool but at the same time it can be a pain in the ###### as well.

Not saying that i would ever use it though.

It's true, it certainly gets you into the wrong frame of mind to play the game when these sorts of things are happening, but you have to ask why ruin the gaming experience for other people when all we all want is to have some fun for a little while playing a game online with other people.

I just feel that there ought to be a certain ethical way to play a game so that everyone gets to enjoy it, rather than what almost amounts to bullying by certain players because they have decided that's the way they want to play it.

Of course it can be said just go and find another server, but when it is happening all across the servers it gets to the point where anyone looking for a fair even handed game will just give up and leave it to go the way of so many other online FPS' which shouldn't be the case..

I face this every day I play EVE-Online. When you jump into a low security space system where there are no police to protect you you have to realize that there may be numerous pirates there waiting to ambush you.

They are there to play the game the way they want to and unfortunately it IS part of the game. It is totally legal to do this. you might lose two or three ships because they just want to shoot you and destroy your ship. Whats the point?

THis is part of the game. The difference is, in EVE there is much to gain from killing another player. In CoD4 there is no gain other than to let your team get into position faster than the other team.

There will always be a segment of gamers who don't care about your enjoyment and they will spawn camp you all day.

I really haven't had a problem with spawn camping in this game, other than on the map Shipment, but really, that map is like 4 square yards so it is expected. The only problems even close to it I have had is when a team will trap my team in a corner, or a section of the map, but that isn't really spawn camping, that is just good offensive work.

Hi guys,

I have known BertieG for over a year, he is a former admin from an old GRAW group. He never spawn camped in GRAW (on the contrary he kicked people who were too aggressive around spawn) and to my knowledge there is no fixed spawn location in COD4. I Play against him all the time and have not seen the behaviour you describe. He is good, both tactically and alone, (a lot better than me, not that thats saying much) but not unbeatable.

I understand your frustration but to accuse him of spawn camping in COD4 is difficult for me to comprehend when spawn keeps moving. "Shipment", the small map with all the containers, is a different matter, it's just so small that people often spawn right in front of the enemy.

I am sure you can work out roughly where people will spawn but my goldfish memory is incapable of doing so.

Cheers

zeno

Edited by zeno

All i am doing is reporting what he did on this occasion since as far as i know i have not played on a server with him before.

If he had happened to be coming out of the building as i spawned alongside the containers and saw me without realising i was spawning before he shot me then fair enough, but when i spawned again a few seconds later in one of the containers at the rear of the map near the wall he was standing there and made an attempt at a knife kill at the same time an airstrike was being carried out.

Whether he did not know it was a spawn point or not i can't say, maybe he thought i was a different player who just happened to be in the same place, but obviously from my point of view that wasn't how i saw it.

Merry Christmas to you too mate.

It sounds as if BertieG isn't the sort of player who deliberately kills in the spawn, in reality i was using that event to highlight what i see as a flaw in the mp side of the game so i don't want anyone to think i was out to get him, he was on the SPARTA server after all and i think that's why i was so surprised it had happened in there it might just be that on this occasion it was an honest mistake and i was just on the wrong end of it..