Ghost Recon vs. GRAW2

Which game is better?

And why is it better?

:boxing:

This is like asking:

Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?

Which is better - (choose any assortment of religious beliefs here)

Which is better - Blond, Brunette or Redhead

My answers?

(in order)

[Ghost Recon], Coke, unspecified, and whatever suites the mood I'm in, as long as the cuffs and collars match.

;)

I've posted the reasons for my [GR] vote in MANY msg threads before... not gonna do it again.

-JK

:lol:

GRAW2 wins! KO 1ST ROUND! (That is my view)

I just can’t see what is so great about Ghost Recon. You guys keep knocking GRAW2 down but you keep on praising Ghost Recon. What was so great about Ghost Recon?

Artificial intelligence? Military tactics? Realistic Weapons? Multiplayer? Map design? Story? Graphics? Sounds? You can change between soldiers? Realism? entertainment value? Missions? What exactly?

Is it simply that some of you guys are just obsessed with Ghost Recon? :notworthy:

This is like asking:

My answers?

(in order)

[Ghost Recon], Coke, unspecified, and whatever suites the mood I'm in, as long as the cuffs and collars match.

;)

I've posted the reasons for my [GR] vote in MANY msg threads before... not gonna do it again.

-JK

In a glass bottle, Coke. In a can or plastic bottle, Pepsi.

Not a big religious fan, so can't comment on that.

By and far redhead.

[GR] is way better than GRAW 2 IMO. Coop had more maps, more options, better AI (take smoke breaks, talk amongst themselves, didn't spot you at 150m away when your head pokes out from a tree at night), none of this 12 vs 150+ crap, understandable objectives, easy to use editor, way more open ended, a lot more weapons, a kit setup that actually made sense, bigger variety of maps (snow, rain, jungle, tropical, beach, mountains, urban, etc etc), more team mates than a mighty four man team, more enemies than just Mexican rebels, slower paced (less run and gun), much better interface (both at the menu and in-game such as mini-map and commands), adjustable distance on sniper weapons, BALANCED sniper weapons, and more that I can't think of right now.

Which game is better?

And why is it better?

:boxing:

This is like asking:

Not really. There's more to the differences than simply being different, because we are comparing two games of the same series, not simply two different games. One is a revolutionary, award winning classic, the other, even though it's a nice game, is arguably the destruction of almost all that made the original so great. (To be fair, it was GR2 xbox that truely did this)

If graw2 had beed a faithfull evolution of ghost recon (more detail, more options, features, etc), we could probably say it's like asking which is better, a P51 mustang or an F/A-18E super hornet?

Instead, Im afraid, it's more like asking which is better:

The Empire Strikes Back, or Attack of the Clones?

Marilyn Monroe or Christina Aguilera?

Replying to Ghost Recon vs. GRAW2...and why is it better?

Suggest you pull up a chair and do alittle reading in some of this sites other sections

Ghost Recon: Gold Edition

Beg, borrow, or steal a copy and then check out the Modding section for that version on this site and you might begin to see where they are coming from. A point of reference is a good place to start!

____

It's not obsession, just the ability to recognize a great tac-sim when it's run.

[GR] is to this day STILL the best tactical FPS available to modern man's PC. If ANY other game could come clase, it sure hasn't been published with Ubishaft's name...

I have to put SWAT4 at the top as well. Gameplay is very different than GR, but it is a superb tac FPS. No nonsense realism, especially with mods like SSF campaigns (absolutely amazing).

Um... if GR1 is better.. why aren't we playing it still?

Seriously i had a lot of fun in GR1 but there was some bugs that were never fixed. At the time it had the best mix, but...

Here is my thoughts

GR1 had a better injury model (yes you could be injured and where you got shot would effect your play

One time a hand frag injured both arms, head, chest and a leg. That doesn't happen in any game now. I pretty much limped out from my rock and begged someone to shoot me as my aim was messed up from the arm shots, i was breathing heavy from the chest shot, limping from the leg shot and the head injury was making my rets go nutz.

It had expansions which made it good. Most games now just make whole new versions grr.

AI in GR1 actually sucked. They wouldn't react to any silenced gun and if you through a hand frag, instantly they would come looking for you and shoot at you from across the map

Sound was good for it's day but GRAW2 takes it hands down

Maps were good and weather effects were awesome. fog was used to fix draw distance

Igor was hard for a beginner at modding. Sometimes you had to trick the engine

Till the end it had crator glitching issues and tight peeks due to the point of view being over the left ear (you could peek and not be shot from the left side around rocks pretty easily)

GRAW 2 has better graphics, pre built in grids without a mod (in GR1 you had to use a mod to get grids) Injury model though sucks... Sound is superb although a little high with ocean waves and walking. Ai is still not the best and Modding is very difficult... don't think you can trick the engine either

GRAW 2 fixed the draw distance issue with post effects which worked like a fog but it was a perfomance hit and most gamers seem to rather like it off and whine about it instead.

Graw 2 has extra cool controls such as the slide and dive. Maps are cool but in the same area so similar. No weather effects but you get physics like no other game. (sometimes to much like those car doors we see blowing around the map now and then.

GRAW 2 has some glitches on maps like tree leaves that stop grenades.

I can post more ... but neither are perfect. GRAW 2 however i think will be patched at least 1 more time which may fix some of this.

GR1 will never be patched again.

well Roco forgot to mention; [GR]

1. 9 man squad COOP

2. open map engagements for completing objectives as leader sees fit, this again is in COOP mode.

3. singleplayer maps were reused in multiplayer mode. in essence, this meant more maps for multiplayer.

4. game recording which settled cheaters who cheated and served as proof as to who won a match. great for watching in replay.

5. mapmaking tools weren't difficult to use or cumbersome albeit the lesser amount of engine complexity.

6. almost all aspects of the game [GR] could be customized with mod like harntrox, IDF, SP4 etc..

7. all maps could be emptied with no markers and whole custom maps with entirely new missions and custom gametypes could be added to maps for improved and versatile fun. and scoring text boxes to tabulate objective completion and points earned for that objectives for tourney admins. *ahem* alpha squad anyone?

8. there was a HUGE mod community who were constantly making maps, weapon mods and helping others to build mods and get into mod /map making.

9. the game lasted for 4 or more years after initial release due to the modding.

10. maps could have ALL gametypes on one map and only the features for a particular gametype were recognized by the game for that gametype, TDM,DM,Siege,COOP,Coop(mission) all zones could be placed on "1" map and the other zones for the other gametypes ignored, no need for 20 versions of the same map for different game modes.

that's all I can think of thus far but it's a start as to why GRAW/GRAW2 will never reach the high bar set by [GR]

added: fixed some obvious misspellings.

Edited by Papa6

Um... if GR1 is better.. why aren't we playing it still?

We? I play GR1 almost every day, I play GRAW2 about twice a month, and that's only to enjoy the modders' weapons. I can only play one mission at a time and GRAW gets old; It just doesn't feel right. Difficult to explain. Ghost Recon I can play until I have to stop to eat or sleep. The open gameplay, authentic military feel, it's addictive.

Sound was good for it's day but GRAW2 takes it hands down

The explosions, vehicles, and desctructable environment sound amazing. But some of the weapon sounds in GR are still the best I've heard (but that default socom sounds like someone wacking a wet cardboard box with a stick). I do like the the M4 sounds so much that I use them in graw2 also.

Edited by doubletap

10. maps could have ALL gametypes on one map and only the features for a particular gametype were recognized by the game for that gametype, TDM,DM,Siege,COOP,Coop(mission) all zones could be placed on "1" map and the other zones for the other gametypes ignored, no need for 20 versions of the same map for different game modes.

To keep the facts straight, this is the same in GRAW2 (only GRAW1 had that problem). You still need a new map for a different environment though, but it was the same in GR1 as well.

Ghost recon ([GR])

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1/2

All 3 are of the GR franchise. All dealt with future weapons and fighting tactics.

But [GR], one could open a map already constructed with the other gametype modes zones, trigger, paths etc. add a new gametype to it and it's zones and have it work.

or open the map with a new environment, clean without any gametype zones and add zones etc.

But with GRAW/GRAW2, I would have to open the same map up 4 different times and save the 4 different maps separately as one for siege, TDM, DM... this was something I tried to get across with Grin during the GRAW days but I guess I wasn't so good at explaining myself. :(

one thing i miss about GRAW is the map download from the server. because with GRAW2, i have absolutely no clue as to where to go to get some of these maps that I see in gamespy's browser for GRAW2 servers.

I guess Grin gave me a cookie and then I asked for some milk. <_<

I don't think Grin left the GR franchise because of wanting to just leave, I think Ubisoft twisted their arms to the point they got tired of it.

But with GRAW/GRAW2, I would have to open the same map up 4 different times and save the 4 different maps separately as one for siege, TDM, DM... this was something I tried to get across with Grin during the GRAW days but I guess I wasn't so good at explaining myself. :(

Once again. Only in GRAW1 and fixed in GRAW2.

Man, great post Roco. I have always thought [GR] was a great game but I also had some issues with the game as well that somewhat bothered me. For me I think the majority of the problem was the issues with the AI that you have mentioned. It's a great game and I like to go back to it but I also like the feel and look of the newer games out there as well.

Not a very good thread (more stirring of the pot), but I did enjoy reading your thoughts.