Crysis physics vs UT3 Phys-X

WytchDokta

After completing Crysis, I have been wondering, does it use Phys-X effects?

I have seen no signs of it being stated that it does use the Phys-X, but it handles its physics way better than UT3. There are two downloadable Phys-X enabled maps for UT3 (there are no Phys-X enabled maps in the full game release), wherein you can only destroy small sections of the maps. Whereas, in Crysis, you can destroy almost everything but the ground & cliff faces, and it has those physics throughout the entire game. In UT3, the rooves of buildings just flap up & down like a sheet when you hit them with a rocket.... Completely on the contrary to Crysis.

If Crysis does not use Phys-X, then why are the physics better than UT3? Don't tell me I wasted my money getting an Ageia Phys-X card.

Don't tell me I wasted my money getting an Ageia Phys-X card.
Hate to break it to ya, but the crysis physics is completely done through the processor and videocard (I think) and they, from what I remember reading, said that the phys-x card wont be doing to much good for you in this game.

They confirmed that there are no plans to integrate Aegia PhysX support, and that all the physics routines were written by themselves. Most of the processing is done on the processor - making use of multiple cores where they're available - and some processing is even offloaded to the GPU where it can, although to quote the Crytek rep, "We're going to be keeping the GPU pretty busy most of the time just with graphics, though."
Heres the link I got that from for ya. Thats not the only place I saw that, and I know its been mentioned before..

Here is a link to the incrysis discussion about it for ya to read as well.

Edited by Evilducky

Ut3 is an online game, physics are not going to stress as much as a primarily campaign game like crysis.

Not really fair to compare, honestly. It's a design decision, not a matter of programming architecture.

Wait for a huge ue3 SP pc game to come out. Right now we only have DM shooters and console games, neither will push the physics envelopes.

As for wasting your money... Sorry man, but you almost definitely did. Physx only makes a real difference on three issues:

realtime procedural destruction

fluid dynamics

complex cloth dynamics (interacting cloth, cloth tearing, etc)

Until CPUs catch up with physics cards, I doubt you'll see any of the three in mainstream games. By that time, physics cards will be better and cheaper.

Needless to say that through buying a Phys-X card, I got owned. :angry: Well, there's a first time for everything I guess.

Did anyone notice that the Crysis physics are not present in multiplayer?

yeah. They did that to keep the stress of servers down. I dont play the MP side of it at all so I dont have to worry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Needless to say that through buying a Phys-X card, I got owned. :angry: Well, there's a first time for everything I guess.

Did anyone notice that the Crysis physics are not present in multiplayer?

Yes sir I did. but Crysis MP is the same old FPS blast everything in sight crap. i enjoy SP mode only