The Death Frag

Rocky

The Death Frag Perk, that drops a live grenade if you are killed.

I pigging hate it when people use that.

If I use it, I feel like I am cheating myself. It's unrealistic, I just got killed, so I do not deserve a kill and points because of my own carelessness. (note - I have NEVER used it). Do people actually get points for a kill with that, I assume they do. Even if it is easy points, I refuse to use it.

If I get killed by it because I just shot someone, I feel robbed because I just made a kill, and perhaps the circumstances mean I cannot vacate the area rapid.

I assume people use it to get their score/rank up. To me , it's not sporting at all, and I'd ban it from my server. If I had one.

It can be annoying (especially in hardcore, with no frag indicator) but i don't see the problem. Don't loiter around corpses, and it's fair. It's actually pretty stupid to use on a friendly fire server anyway, it does nothing but hurt your score when you wipe out half of your team due to getting sniped.

It can be annoying (especially in hardcore, with no frag indicator) but i don't see the problem. Don't loiter around corpses, and it's fair. It's actually pretty stupid to use on a friendly fire server anyway, it does nothing but hurt your score when you wipe out half of your team due to getting sniped.

It's not as simple as not loitering around corpses though, many times you'll be doing the CQB tango and by the time he goes down, you are totally disorientated in a room with one door. There's nothing fair about dying from a frag a dead man managed to throw.

I hadn't thought about the sniped situ, can't say I have ever seen it happen though.

The server I'm playing on has reflective fire (you hurt your mates - you get damage) which encourages the Martydrom Perk - since you're dead - you can't get hurt. ATM they are discussing whether or not bringing back the usual friendly fire - I hope they will.

I got used to getting killed by the grenade in a close combat situation. I'm not pi**ed at the ones using it - more at me, for not hearing the "CLANK" the nade does and getting away in time. Sometimes I stab ppl in the back and I guess a nade in my face is what I deserve for being this mean - but as awful as it sounds, if I have the choice, I choose the knife over using ammo. Of course it is bollox if someone else killed an enemy and you just happen to walk into the grenade and get killed for a fight you haven't been part off. >_<

I personally don't use it myself either, because I consider it very cheap trying to get a kill after I died - I have a bad enough feeling when I cover my back as a sniper with a claymore - I get killed and 1 minute later someone runs in my Claymore(Sure - everybody could use this bomb squad-perk to detect C4 and claymores - but still, I want to get kills while alive). With the dead of peeps they should disappear as well - but that's another story.

I never used Martyrdrom and never will.

For me the Martyrdrom is the same as putting Claymores next to a bomb-spot/a planted bomb - a cheap way to get kills due to the enemy which is forced to go there and under pressure he most likely oversees it. I'm not a fan of cheap kills in virtual combat. ;)

Edited by rookie

I think i get killed more by martyrdrom then anything else. It really urks me... especially when you go into a room and knife someone, and can't turn and run before being killed by it, or if you do, you run right into a nother baddy fully exposing yourself outside the building because a dead man is fragging you.

Last man standing also i feel the same way about although it's easier to kill him a 2nd time then the death frag.

I don't use the grenade drop perk (martrydom) , but I do use last stand.

If the martrydom perk is left in, I'd like to see it a little more realistic. As in, the guys dying, so it takes him a second to pull out the grenade and pull the pin. Not insta drop.

At least then you can see the animation and gives you time to react. Its still going to get you once in a while, but not near as much.

Last stand I love, but the pistol is way to accurate and comes out too fast as well. Again, there should be a delay before I can start firing. I'm bleeding to death, not injecting myself with drugs that increase my hand speed! Then being able to kill a sniper thats sitting 500 feet away with a pistol is none too realistic.

I like the variety the perks give to the game, but some tweaking is required.

I don't use the grenade drop perk (martrydom) , but I do use last stand.

If the martrydom perk is left in, I'd like to see it a little more realistic. As in, the guys dying, so it takes him a second to pull out the grenade and pull the pin. Not insta drop.

At least then you can see the animation and gives you time to react. Its still going to get you once in a while, but not near as much.

Last stand I love, but the pistol is way to accurate and comes out too fast as well. Again, there should be a delay before I can start firing. I'm bleeding to death, not injecting myself with drugs that increase my hand speed! Then being able to kill a sniper thats sitting 500 feet away with a pistol is none too realistic.

I like the variety the perks give to the game, but some tweaking is required.

I agree, but with last stand you should be able to move a bit, sometimes you lay down in a spot were you cannot see teh enemie, it would be nice if you could crawl 1-2 meters

I kind of like the way that socom on the console did their grenade drop. You would only drop a grenade on the ground while you got shot if that is what you had active in your inventory, and were in mid throw. That seems pretty reasonable to me. You would think that someone who is in the process of throwing a grenade is going to drop it with the pin out if they get shot.

People keep using the word "unrealistic" with these perks which is true, but why are we trying to add realism to a game that wasn't meant to be realistic in my opinion. The whole grenade drop perk I guess somewhat resembles those movie scenes where you think the good guys have laid waste to everyone and then one of the half dead bad guys activates a bomb, or pulls the pin on a grenade he's carrying, and the good guys have to run out of the place. It's not very realistic but adds drama to the movie and is cool to watch. I think the intent in the game was to try to do some original things and add some fun to the game and appeal to that kind of crowd. I can definately see how getting killed repeatedly this way can get annoying and hopefully something will get addressed.

The reason we look for degree of realism, to find something better then what we were playing such as GRAW 2, 1 or GR1.

COD 4 advertised itself not as an arcade and the sp demo didn't show perks.

Most of the peeps on this forum are not really into the arcade games so when we see things that are so unrealistic, we point it out to warn others

This is exactly what I was going to bring up.

I'll take it a step further.

Combine Martyrdom and Last Stand into one perk.

You have 5 seconds to manually pull out your pistol, or your nade. Your Primary you will drop due to being mortally wounded.

You must manually pull the pin on your nade...right click will drop it, left click will lightly toss it.

or

You must Manually pull out your pistol.

It will make it a bit more realistic, and way less B*ll-shi**ish

This game is starting to annoy me.

Whats gets me is anyone can be good at it, i like the perks as they are fun, but they are unreal, i mean i have never been shot but im sure it hurts like hell and yes i would want to kill the guy shooting me but would you really have time or the energy to do this with a hole in your head, or chest.

The hardcore mode is not hardcore at all and i have found that even with one death it is still easir to run and gun to get the kills than move slowly.

It's not as simple as not loitering around corpses though, many times you'll be doing the CQB tango and by the time he goes down, you are totally disorientated in a room with one door.

Might be a console vs pc thing -- analog movement = just walk slow in cqb, won't get disoriented at all, so I've never had that problem.

And yeah, teammates with Martyrdom are a nightmare on no-respawn cqb stuff. I've seen four or five guys taken down in buildings because one of our idiot teammates had martyrdom on in a FF server. That's over half the team. :(

The point of martyrdom is to add a bit of randomness and chaos, and I think it works fine. Yeah, it's annoying to get killed by, but keep in mind that the game was designed to be played with the frag direction indicator on, so the Devs were figuring you'd know the moment a grenade dropped. In real life, there is a lot more subtlety than a videogame, naturally. There are a lot of ways someone who's been shot and dropped to the ground can still be dangerous. Last Stand and Martyrdom may not be that realistic, but the tactics to deal with them are. It seems to even out.

The Death Frag Perk, that drops a live grenade if you are killed.

I pigging hate it when people use that.

If I use it, I feel like I am cheating myself. It's unrealistic, I just got killed, so I do not deserve a kill and points because of my own carelessness. (note - I have NEVER used it). Do people actually get points for a kill with that, I assume they do. Even if it is easy points, I refuse to use it.

If I get killed by it because I just shot someone, I feel robbed because I just made a kill, and perhaps the circumstances mean I cannot vacate the area rapid.

I assume people use it to get their score/rank up. To me , it's not sporting at all, and I'd ban it from my server. If I had one.

LOL Rocky, I call it "dropping a log" or to be crude "Shi*ting a brick"

It is a perk to be aware of but this game is not a simulator as some think it's for fun but that being said my grip is with the players that seem to have ESP.

They are always in the right place at the right time, they are not you or you, but the ones that stand out on the score board with 2:1 3:1 or higher kill ratios. While everyone else struggles to push an even kill ratio or worse they excel to a level that would make Super man proud.

So I tracked off topic but I fell this point is 10x worse than the Martyrdom perk

We we think about banning these player with the polite phrase:

Sorry but because you are so good, you out class every one here and we can not compete against you, so we would like you to find another server, we are sure you will find more of a challenge elsewhere.

john

viii

Yeh it is OT, but there does seem to be a small group of players who manage to remain at the top of the scoreboard with a huge number of kills compared to everyone else, and a rather outlandish kill/death ratio. If it was someone with a rank of below 10 it'd really flag up as a concern, but it does seem to be 55'ers for the most part.

There are two ways you can get a high kill death ration.

One is to play in a small server, maybe 6 v 6 max, and play like you used to in GR1. Slow, quiet, and stealthy easily rules on these tiny maps.

The other way is to play on a full server and continueally get airstikes and chopper streaks.

I prefer the first approach.

i find most with the high kill ratios sit back. They snipe and get enough kills to airstrike the spawn and get choppers + up the UAV which is the radar that shows enemies on the map for 30 seconds. Meanwhile the rest fight in the drudges and average 1 kill to 1 death ratios and get killed in there spawn.

There are two ways you can get a high kill death ration.

One is to play in a small server, maybe 6 v 6 max, and play like you used to in GR1. Slow, quiet, and stealthy easily rules on these tiny maps.

The other way is to play on a full server and continueally get airstikes and chopper streaks.

I prefer the first approach.

Well you forgot the third way, a dead cert. to get high kill ratio, by using a hack/ cheat as been seen at PB. These things do exist and they are all over normal servers in COD4.

The way PB detects is 3 ways, by admin, judgment call, by file detection or by screenshot.

The problem is the screenshot method is being circumnavigated by some hacks by passing clean screenshots by to punkbuster and then re injecting the hack after the screenshot. This is a problem that at the moment only Admin calls can work against.

The file detection seems to be working from PB and a quick check shows some player detection, check:

http://www.pbbans.com/mbi.php?action=1&game_id=27

Although I do agree some players do legitimately get high kill counts, I have never met a player that gets into the top 2 of every round of every match by playing clean (this is my opinion). I know that for laddering the whole aspect of hack control has to be addressed to make it all level.

The problem with unfair level playing, ie level 20 v level 55 and of lag delay is that there needs to be some kind of control but in ranked server this will never be as InfinityWard has it now. Only Unranked servers give a level weapons start.

I find the servers that control the type of players that play on it, give me the best games,

I hate the whole perk concept and wish IW make an alternate ranked system that allows all players to start with any of the weapons and extras the server allows, but this is only on unranked at the moment.

On the [sPARTA] server I have turned on lag control to make the game more balanced. this basically updates position in relation to what you see and not whats happening in real time.

example:

player A 50mS ping

player B 200mS ping

Player B see's A and shoot's only problem is player A moved and B is firing into thin air. player A kills B.

lag control, player B see's A at that location at that time and shoot's (player A has moved) but because player B saw player A and on his screen made a hit) the kill is made, due to lag control taking into account the round trip delay of player B (400mS).

I hope we all can have a level playing field and a guaranteed hack free game.

Some don't like lag control but I always look at all advantages and players with higher pings have a big disadvantage which comes close to cheating, only players with balanced/ equal ping can be deemed to be on a level playing field and with the same weapons selection.

GRAW2 made the mistake of fixing kits COD4 had pushed it to access via rank both have their own problems. I never use the dropping grenade perk and on our server I've come up with a clever idea of turning on FF. The penalty for killing a team mate with FF is a 30 second extended spawn back + a -10 point drop in score. This adds a nice twist as FF is more realistic and hopefully teach players to be extra cautious when shoots or throwing grenades. I know it has slowed the game down as the player making a teamkill has to wait a total of 35 seconds to get back in (30 FF delay + 5 seconds std spawn in).

viii