Ghost Recon.net Forums

Foreign Languages

If our English was the international language,

Sadly it seems that some people are trying to create such an environment, yet they complain when people come over here and speak to each other in their own language rather than in English. The same people also complain that my local doctors surgery now has various signs around the etablishment written only in Polish and job ads in the local paper have started to appear in Polish. I speak of the people not willing to accept/learn new langauges. These same people go on vaction to other countries and demand the locals to speak in English to them.

Like I said before, the whole thing is based on respect. Although, in my case, it's also about proving a point - languages was the only thing I was good at while at school/college. All the required subjects for jobs etc I failed, even maths and I failed maths TWICE. Most jobs that require languages in part require maths so I keep getting turned away. Due to my below par qualifications in all my other subjects, people class me as not having the capacity to learn. Now more than anyone know my capabilities, and my capability to learn far surpasses that of alot of people. See, the fact that I speak six languages now, and I've self taught myself four of them since I left college, proves my learning capacity. Point proven.

The MF's where I work, threatened to sack me because I wanted to do the job properly and they wanted me to do it differently. This caused people to put out a bad word about me, and they long doubted my abilities and thought me incapable of doing my job. Then when the quality assessor inspectors came in, I got the best work report, even surpassing the work reports of my line managers and general managers. Again, point proven. Don't put me down if you can't pick me up.

Edited by WytchDokta

Yeah I'm looking to start a career where I can put my foreign languages to good use so that's my reason for learning them but I know what you mean about respect. Most people in my first semester of Arabic did not return because they needed a foreign language credit and they were just there for that. I actually take interest in not just the language but also the culture of the people. Once it's over, I just keep studying. Just gotta keep it fresh and stick with it. Anyways, I'm sorry you had such problems at your work. I had some too but everybody else was too busy kissing butt to get bad reviews so oh well. I quit anyways. Didn't wanna be flipping burgers for the rest of my life.

Yeah I'm looking to start a career where I can put my foreign languages to good use so that's my reason for learning

Me too, I could have been out there doing just that in January. However, the course that I'm looking at, that will enable me to use all six of my languages in a career upon completion of the course will cost £6000, which is £6000 more than what I got. I want to combine my langauges with only love outside of music - winter sports, more specifically skiing/snowboarding. I found a company that will train me to be an instructor. I don't want to get into teaching the languages as such (in a college set up), I couldn't be doing with that. So instead, the instructing will allow me to teach the languages in a different set up (if you see where I'm coming from), and get paid while I'm out there on the 'board. (TBH, it's where I'd rather be. I prefer the cold - call me wierd, I don't care. Even England sometimes gets too hot for me!

All this learning languages is starting to affect my speaking/writing in my mother tongue. Seriously, I have to proof read my posts like 3 times before posting to ensure it's correct in English - I'm subconsciously doing things like adding e's/en's on the end of words, which denotes plurals in the Germanic line of languages. Sometimes when I talk to people now, I subconsciously put a hard pronunciation on English er/or/ur sounds, which again is a Germanic language thing. Maybe I'm letting the languages become too much a part of my life?

I actually take interest in not just the language but also the culture of the people.

Again, me too, but I also take interest in the history of the development of the language.

From what I've heard Dokta, you could go far with all of that. It's one thing to take great interest in the language and culture but learning where it originated and history of it is amazing. Wish me luck though. Have my written exam tomorrow. Been studying all weekend and today for it but I'm still nervous. And the two people leaving is gonna be tough on us since we're like a family. So even though I'll do good on it, it's still gonna be a rough time. We're probably gonna spend a half hour to a full one talking afterwards cause it's such a fun class and we're so tight. Anyways, I'm out.

Well I did it. Aced my exam. I was so stressed and I pretty much let everybody know. Didn't have any sleep cause I was too busy triple checking everything. Watched all the stories on the DVD from the chapters we covered and went over the vocab. Told the teach I was nervous and he said the test was gonna be easy but I wasn't sure. Thought we'd have to do dictation on the vocab we'd covered in the 6 chapters we'd been through. When I saw the test I smiled cause I knew I'd crush it. And it had my favorite saying. In chapter 3 or 4, the girl on the DVD told us about her extended family and one of em was an uncle named Adel. And she said "Ahmee Adel dawbit kabeeeer fi geysh" which means "My uncle Adel is a highranking officer in the Army" and it was just the way she said it that was funny so I always repeated that when one of those words was brought up in class. Well in the story we had to read, it said "Ahmee Hassan dawbit kabeer fi algeysh" and Hassan's my Arab name so I was laughing to myself the whole time and it even asked what uncle hassan did so I put that in there with an exclamation mark at the end. And we also had to write a little bit about ourselves and our families in Arabic which we basically covered in the oral exam so I wrote about 8-10 sentences. It was actually a bummer the way it all ended though because there wasn't really any real hangout at the end of class. One person left without even saying goodbye which I can understand cause she had wisdom teeth pulled and I know how that is. But for the rest it was just like "See ya!" Definately gonna miss that class cause as I've said before we started off big and ended half that size. Now we lost two others. And since I'm the quiet guy, I really don't know who's gonna step up to entertain the next class cause I'm a lot more focused than the rest except maybe one lady. Only thing I'm somewhat worried about was the matching part. I wrote the numbers of the english words but I'm sure he knew what I meant. Like instead of putting the english words in I put the numbers but I think he said we could do whatever. But yeah I'm definately gonna miss that class cause I was talking to one of the 111 guys and I was telling him how we sorta helped eachother out and that we made our own and we made the class fun a lot of times but most of the life brought to the class was from the two people leaving. But I'm still going to continue studying it over the two semesters that I have free. It's funny cause it turns out for the Arabic we had to write everybody said they either liked Arabic or they liked studying it. Definately the tightest group I've ever been with in school. Even though we're probably not supposed to, I'm gonna start on chapters 7 and 8 and finish those cause we were supposed to get through 8 chapters but sometimes they'd ask questions that we're relevant to the class and take up time and I'd just be translating a story from Arabic to English for the fun of it. So yeah I definately wanna get those out of the way. Even touched on the culture videos of each chapter. Never did that in class. I'm gonna head out though. Been nice being able to share all this with you guys and also hearing all your experiences and also your ability to learn other foreign languages. See ya.