Ghost Recon.net Forums

GR Won't Run On Vista PC

My old XP PC crashed and I had to buy a new AMD 64 bit dual core with Vista32. I installed the first GR disk, and tried to play. I went to multiplayer since quick mission wasn't available. The cursor froze. I had to shut it down in task manager. I tried it in XP-SP2 and ME compatibility modes and from then on it would not even find the game CD to boot!! I've since installed Desert Storm with the same problem. (Doesn't DS have the 1.3 patch?)

I'm still looking for the IT disk... but trying to install the 1.4 patch I'm told I need 1.3. Wasn't it supposed to be part of DS?

Which reminds me... what's the installation order? From an old ubi.com page:

quote:

*NOTE*

You must have Island Thunder or GR patch 1.3 with Ghost Recon installed first.

Players will be REQUIRED to use the GR CD after installing the patch. Previous versions of Ghost Recon will no longer be compatible with version 1.4.

And to be on the safe side... does anyone know where I can get the 1.3 patch?

THANKS!!!

Edited by cryptomorph

Install order is GR -> DS -> IT. DS patches to 1.2, IT to 1.3, with 1.4 being the final patch.

Patches can be found here, with "Patch 3" (1.3.5.0) being the one you need to apply if you have GR -> DS but no IT, and finally Patch 4 (1.4.0.0) for online compatibility.

I can't help with the freezing issue, though, but at least you should be able to sort your patching out.

To further clarify:

GR installs version 1.0

There was a patch that updates to 1.1

DS patches to 1.2

IT patches to 1.3

Patch 1.4 fixes a few (for lack of a better term) mistakes 1.3 introduced. and is the final retail patch released.

Thanks Dannik for the info on the GR patches.

So as far as you know GR1 runs fine on Vista32, 64 bit dual core PCs? I'm not sure if I installed a patch out of order... which may now account for GR not being able to find the game CD...

Edited by cryptomorph

I uninstalled GR and reinstalled just disk 1. It found the game CD and I could play the training missions. But whenever I go into the multiplayer game lobby the cursor locks... and I'm unable to get to get back to desk top or even Task Manager to shut GR down. So I'm forced to do a hard shutdown.

I really don't know what may be causing the multiplayer lockup, though if I were to go with my gut, I'd check the Windows Firewall (or any other software firewall that you may have running) and ensure that GR has permission to access your network.

Ditto what Dannik said... I would bet something is trying to show a pop-up window to ask about letting GR get to the network and some issue between GR graphics and Vista who-knows-what is causing trouble. Have you tried Alt-Tabbing out of GR to see what may have popped up?

The Vista firewall is disabled and I'm running ZoneAlarm. GR had all the proper permissions.

I uninstalled GR and reinstalled disk one. Again it finds the CD and boots as it did last time before I instaled DS. I am able to play the training missions but again the entire PC freezes up when I go in to the multiplayer looby... and the only reason I did was to start a quick game since I haven't gone through the training level.

I tried every way I knew to get back into Windows including Alt. The only thing that did anything was starting to shut down the PC. That freed up the Windows cursor while the GR cursor was still frozen. I tried it again and got back to desktop. But GR never unfroze.

Maybe I should try it with the firewall off...

Edited by cryptomorph

The Vista firewall is disabled and I'm running ZoneAlarm. GR had all the proper permissions.

I uninstalled GR and reinstalled disk one. Again it finds the CD and boots as it did last time before I instaled DS. I am able to play the training missions but again the entire PC freezes up when I go in to the multiplayer looby... and the only reason I did was to start a quick game since I haven't gone through the training level.

I tried every way I knew to get back into Windows including Alt. The only thing that did anything was starting to shut down the PC. That freed up the Windows cursor while the GR cursor was still frozen. I tried it again and got back to desktop. But GR never unfroze.

Maybe I should try it with the firewall off...

cryptomorph;

Are you still looking for the IT disk??? Knightdiscounts.com has it for $11.99. Used them before and they are pretty good to deal with.

I have Vista HP and running dual core intel. I have problems with assigning the key commands and especially with the "`" key to change weapons....

If you get it to work, let us know