Ubisoft Threaten Something Awful with legal papers

Rocky

Jade Raymond, producer of Assassin’s Creed, has featured heavily in the AC publicity, if you have not already seen a photo of Jade, I am guessing you have not been online for a few weeks. It appears someone took one of the photos and did somehting with it, or made a cartoon, and Ubisoft was less than pleased.

My God, we better check all the Serellan photo's we've posted over the years!

The following link leads to a forum post with adult language and references. If you are not an adult, get an adult to check it for you first.

Other than that, the SA reply to the lawyers letter is awesome, plain awesome.

SomethingAwful (Proceed with caution)

Yeah, ya have to really dig around to find it.

Ubi has dug themselves a hole with recent game releases and now are facing a backlash from those very gamers that bought the stuff they have released it appears. This comic appears to be a way of showing Ubi that it is going to get harder to sell games to us.

I was at Best Buy earlier tonight and it looked as if the stack of AC boxes hadn't been touched by any customers.

OK, that cartoon might have been a bit much, but considering that that she's a smokin' hottie in a world of dorky computer geeks (another case of real life being crazier than fiction) that kinda thing is to be expected.

Respectfully

krise madsen

PS: If Serellan ever appear in anything similar I'll quit the Internet. Permanently.

Edited by krise madsen

Ubi has dug themselves a hole with recent game releases and now are facing a backlash from those very gamers that bought the stuff they have released it appears. This comic appears to be a way of showing Ubi that it is going to get harder to sell games to us.

Right, people make sexually themed comics about female videogame producers because they hate ubisoft.

Entirely misinterpreted dissent, yeah!! :coolspeak:

I was at Best Buy earlier tonight and it looked as if the stack of AC boxes hadn't been touched by any customers.

We bought it the day it was released. It's also been flying off the shelves where I work. :D

We bought it the day it was released. It's also been flying off the shelves where I work. :D

It was sold out 'till a day or two ago everywhere here, they just all got new shipments and I picked up a copy.

Not to stir controversy...BUUUT:

It seems to me that the point of the comic is satirical in nature.

I know nothing about the videogaming industry but the one and only video game producer that I know of is this Jade chick...I'm guessing because she's a pretty face.

Just my $0.02...and the comic is obviously degrading and I'm not taking any side in the debate...just sayin'.

ps...I found it right quick by using live search (image results).

Good blog Serellan.

As you say, legal issues aside...

The real "crime" was that the "comic" just wasn't funny.

I'll be the first to admit that I have a particularly juvenile and unsophisticated sense of humor, usually revolving around the female anatomy and various body functions. It takes rather a lot more than the F-word and nudity to offend me. This offended me.

To be frank I don't believe for a second that Ubi failed to recognize the PR value of Ms. Raymonds looks, and she is indeed very easy on the eyes. And I, like many others I assume, fell for it: "But she's a girl! And, like, pretty! Is that even allowed?".

There are a bazillion jokes that could be make about that, quite a few of them probably AO rated. Jokes about Ubi's PR. About the press. About people like me who fall for all the stereotypes.

But that doesn't mean that Ms. Raymond should be reduced to a mere sex object. I very much doubt Ubisoft would put anyone in charge of a multi million dollar project just because she had, well, tits. I'm not at all ashamed that I find Ms. Raymond pleasant to look at, nor should she be uncomfortable with that fact. It doesn't necessarily degrade her professionally or personally. It is, after all, her picture I'm looking at, not her CV.

Quite simply, the comic wasn't funny. It wasn't satirical. It was just rude, degrading and offensive.

Respectfully

krise madsen

The thing that moved me to start this thread actually had nothing to do with Jade at all, it was actually Ubisoft's actions. As a website owner I was very interested that they issued a strong worded legalese letter to the owner of SA.com, about an image appearing in his forums that (1) was actually hosted on another website altogether, and (2) was created by parties unknown. They even demanded to know who made the picture, how on earth is a website owner meant to know or even have the resources to find out, who is the original author/designer of any or every image appearing in their publically accesable forums?! :wacko:

The thing that moved me to start this thread actually had nothing to do with Jade at all, it was actually Ubisoft's actions. As a website owner I was very interested that they issued a strong worded legalese letter to the owner of SA.com, about an image appearing in his forums that (1) was actually hosted on another website altogether, and (2) was created by parties unknown. They even demanded to know who made the picture, how on earth is a website owner meant to know or even have the resources to find out, who is the original author/designer of any or every image appearing in their publically accesable forums?! :wacko:

Yes that is odd. I do belive it's more of a spray-and-pray tactic intended to scare rather than have any real legal substance (or maybe has something to do with precedence if they find out who drew it, I dunno, I'm no lawyer). And I think SA called them on it. Maybe Jade Raymond (understandably) got p...ed off and demanded her employer take action, and this way they at least seem to be doing something.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I've been a longtime fan of SomethingAwful.com. Their point has long been that the internet makes you stupid, and they really just have fun poking fun at anyone and everyone who'll get upset about it. Legal threats are funny- they get them frequently and have yet to be sued.

While you're there, you might look up their old net novel, 'Untitled Document.' It's also one of their editors, Zack PArsons, who wrote the incredibly interesting and entertaining, 'My Tank is Fight.' Funny bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jade....

<deleted>

Shes a very atractive woman.Shes in the spot lite.She'll have to get used to it.

EDIT:

I thought I would let everyone see the real JADE

jade-raymond.jpg

Sorry Im alittle late to the party here.I keep her picture on my desk....lol.....Just kidding.My wife would kill me.So I keep it in the filing cabnet.....lol....Just kidding.

Edited by Rocky

@ Blueberry.

Posting that link was an insanely stupid action. If you had read this thread and the surrounding information at all you should have realised that posting that image is entirely unacceptable.

Your account is suspended while your posting rights are considered.