MP - whaddya think?

Lightspeed

Personally, after the first hour of getting spanked in a S&D server by the COD veterans I decided I should move to a Deathmatch (free for all ) server to start to learn the game 1 on 1.

The pace is fast but at the same time you can get too fast and end up running into ppl and bullets. Its v easy to fall into that trap.

So you cant play it like a GR slow n smooth, but its not a complete run n gun - you learn to pace yourself - pick your places to sprint and moments to pull back and move slowly through the thicker cover to pick of the unsuspecting - meanwhile remembering to check and recheck your rear.

In a Hardcore mode with no respawns it would prolly slow down a lot more but with no place being completely safe - you really need to keep pressing an attack and checkign your flanks regularly.

With good teamwork in Hardcore mode - I think it will be awesome.

It grows on you quickly and I could see some brilliant matching into the future for this game.

The controls feel smoooth and the weapons well-balanced.

The maps are spectacular and very real to look at and play in - the level design is superb for MP - the best Ive seen to date in any game. High points and low points, plenty of cover and open spaces between, no places to camp really cos it seems that every doorway and street leads to another new one so its easy to lose bearings at first. Just when you think you know the map you stumble onto something new.

Killing players feels almost perfect - no one shot one kill except for good headshots but at the same time you dont feel like you have to unload a full clip for a result. Usually 1 - 3 well-placed bursts will do the job nicely.

Jumping is there but its not the bunnyhop of yesteryear - although I did have a veteran CODder run towards me at close range, then jump past me as I strafed, then went prone as he passed by me so that he was shoting up at me and I was still shooting into the air.

While there was a bit of bloody codder going on, I actually respected the cheeky manouevre - he played me and won.

So early days of course - we all know that we can quickly grow tired of games that seem great at first - but at this stage I think this is a keeper and a stayer with many ggz to come.

With the ability to mod servers so easily - teams like BSR who like the no respawns realistic gameplay can really tweak this to their personal tastes and fall in love with the dazzling maps and smooth feel and accuracy of this game in Hardcore mode.

Edited by SCE_Lightspeed

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumping is there but its not the bunnyhop of yesteryear - although I did have a veteran CODder run towards me at close range, then jump past me as I strafed, then went prone as he passed by me so that he was shoting up at me and I was still shooting into the air.

While there was a bit of bloody codder going on, I actually respected the cheeky manouevre - he played me and won.

The knife would have earned you a kill there, by the way, unless the lunge still has a tendancy to glitch a bit against prone guys. :P

Anyway, yeah, glad you're enjoying MP. I really liked it, being an action game fan, but I didn't know quite how much you guys would.

There's a lot of fun to be had in games that are still incredibly tactical, but aren't quite as slow and realistic as GR.

Full Game, for both 360 & PC out Tuesday 11/6 (Some places Monday) at least here in the states.

I picked up both ;):thumbsup:

Console Impression: :offtopic:

Never made it off the couch to install the PC version though, the SP X360 version, is just plain fun, like an amusement park shooting gallery. Hadji just keeps on coming. I am enjoying this far more than I did Halo3.

Edited by Whisper_44

It's a twitch-fest, which I happen to be pretty good at. ;) The hopping still looks unrealistic and ruins the game to a small extent for me. Some cool stuff is the zoom/blur. When you're zoomed into your sight your peripheral blurs a bit. When you're in the grass and you don't have a clear view, you're blurred thru the sight. This is as close to what I've seen IRL. Also, I like how the sights/scope is in the middle of the screen which is what it looks like to me IRL when I'm shooting both eyes open.

There's a lot of good to this game. Polished, runs great, maps rock. The negatives are the sound. OMFG the sound just makes me yearn for GRAW2 even more. GRIN got it 110% correct. Activision got it 20% correct. The guns sound really pussified.

Can't wait to try hardcore w/no respawns. I don't like the death cam at all, but that's the ladder matching hooer in me. :D

It's a twitch-fest, which I happen to be pretty good at. ;) The hopping still looks unrealistic and ruins the game to a small extent for me. Some cool stuff is the zoom/blur. When you're zoomed into your sight your peripheral blurs a bit. When you're in the grass and you don't have a clear view, you're blurred thru the sight. This is as close to what I've seen IRL. Also, I like how the sights/scope is in the middle of the screen which is what it looks like to me IRL when I'm shooting both eyes open.

There's a lot of good to this game. Polished, runs great, maps rock. The negatives are the sound. OMFG the sound just makes me yearn for GRAW2 even more. GRIN got it 110% correct. Activision got it 20% correct. The guns sound really pussified.

Can't wait to try hardcore w/no respawns. I don't like the death cam at all, but that's the ladder matching hooer in me. :D

Nice post. Dead on with the sound. GRAW2 does have ridiculous sound...only draw back being the potato chip bag uniforms and wooden shoes that make so much damn noise, a bit toned down = perfection, but all other sounds in GRAW2 have so much more impact than the COD sounds.

I am almost 100% sure that Killcam can be disabled, and for matching it mostly likely would be....should be.

Try gamemodes like S&D...usually no spawn games.

For my fellow Canadians, the cheapest place I found was Best Buy at $44.99

SCE_Lightspeed

"Killing players feels almost perfect - no one shot one kill except for good headshots but at the same time you dont feel like you have to unload a full clip for a result. Usually 1 - 3 well-placed bursts will do the job nicely."

I havent got to play it much yet, but I found in hardcore mode it was pretty much always one shot kills? My stats after were not full of headshots either.

What really ###### me off is I let my 12 year old play it and he advance in rank at about double the rate I did! <_<

...he's so grounded...

I had some good fun playing the game. I only played sabotage, which was pretty fun. My weapon of choice was the M16A4, and it seems that all the weapons are fairly balanced. A good player with an MP5 is usually sure to do better than me with my M16 at close range. I didn't find any grenade spamming since the number of hand grenades is limited to 1 (at least on the server I was on). A few players started spamming the M203 a bit, which can get annoying at times.

I loved using the Deep Impact perk, especially when enemies think they're safe. We were in a sudden death round, and one guy accused me of hacking when I took out the last remaining guys. In reality it was just that I had the UAV spotting for me :lol: .

as i'm not a sp guy

Neither am I, but I finished s/p tonite and I gotta say..........great ######' storyline!!

The finale was brillant and moving - just insane - had to play the last level multiple times because I couldn't believe what I saw. Stunning - IW did it once more and created a unique SP-experience.

And for those who didn't like the demo - this nearly is the only mission where you wait and shoot. More often you are moving around and shoot a lot through different locations. Also I spotted more than one route quite often - the lineraty has been opened up a BIT.

Now for the MP - brillant Action. Sound is too Hollywood, but I can live with it. Really is a nice experience on the right server. Thanks for this enjoyable game IW. :)

Edited by rookie

Hmm what do i think...

I think i paid to much. (best buy only had 60$ limited edition...grr)

Granted the Single player is nice but... ( i will agree with rookie on that)

I bought it for MP.

I have only tried TDM so far and i find it annoying.

Until you have any rank plan on being pummeled.

And the perks? More like cheats...(in any other game they would be) Juggernaut? Shooting someone with a pistol after you have been put down? and everyone pretty much runs around with the supports cutting peeps up. Meanwhile the new person has to scrouge for better weapons on the ground

Sniper was cool, too bad it's not really usable due to the VERY short maps. Holding breath was good.

Where is my change rate of fire? M4 gets 3 round burst only?

Running animations also aren't that good... they kinda look like they have a stutter step.

Also... with perks and challenges... there is not enough time to set them up. you get like 5 seconds.

Being an unreal engine (or like at least if it isn't) there is something with the fov that makes it flat and washed out color wise. It takes away from the immerson.

On the good side... Plenty of full servers... and weapon view although like rug stated is centered like shooting with both eyes, is kinda cool with the periphial blur.

Tonight i'll tackle some other game types and look for some hardcore servers.

Team Deathmatch is the worst mode I played so far.

Search & Destroy kept me busy for the longest time and after a while I got the hang of the perks and creating my own class to fit the game to my gaming-style.

The ranks get unlocked extremely fast - now the prestige mode makes sense.

After I know how CoD4 works in MP in a couple of days I will look for more challenging servers with teamwork and the Hardcore-mode.

With teamwork this game has potencial, because in hardcore-mode without perks, the maps could surely deliver some intense firefights.

But things I cannot forgive IW for being left out are a Walk-button and the possibility to change the fire-rate. I don't want to walk around aiming down the sights in a fast game like that and well the fire-rate...I can't begin to count how many enemies would have been downed by sticking their head out but I missed the head because of the burst. I love single-firing. ;)

Those are things that HAVE to be in every game. Hopefully there will be some mods for that.

Good to see this topic. I was thinking about buying CoD4 since today but i've found some stuff on official forums which made me reconsider and I'm not so sure now. I dont uderstand how shoter like this can have fixed rates of fire ? no walk button ? WTH ?! All those points poping up when you kill enemy , i realy dont like it. Please someone tell me what changes harcore mod brings to the game ? I know about one shot one kill thing and about lack of hud, i like it but im hoping for some more, did anyone played this mod long enough to point some new features (or lack of arcade features)? Please bring some new info and opinions.

Good to see this topic. I was thinking about buying CoD4 since today but i've found some stuff on official forums which made me reconsider and I'm not so sure now. I dont uderstand how shoter like this can have fixed rates of fire ? no walk button ? WTH ?! All those points poping up when you kill enemy , i realy dont like it. Please someone tell me what changes harcore mod brings to the game ? I know about one shot one kill thing and about lack of hud, i like it but im hoping for some more, did anyone played this mod long enough to point some new features (or lack of arcade features)? Please bring some new info and opinions.

I haven't tried hardcore mode yet... still digging in. But TDM in non hardcore gives you a headache after a bit.

In hardcore the weapons are susposed to be more powerful i guess.

Oh.. and there is a reload button... but i don't see any option to not make it autoreload the weapon. Does anyone?

One other lacking... No grids and only a minimap (unless i missed a key somewhere)

Very hard to plan without either of these. I am afraid it wasn't made for matching. With all the noise from gunfire... on comms none of us speak and it's very hard to hear each other. The game becomes a deathmatch solo all for themselved TDM. Also the server we played on had no friendly fire penalty. Can this be changed? not in the server options from within the game but maybe in a script if someone knows.

TDM is about as fun as playing Deathmatch in GRAW1 and 2. Fun for mayhem but you don't want to do it everyday.

Also... i don't think there is 16 TDM maps correct? I think we only got 8. I'll have to count though so don't quote me. Tonight i may do some hard core and some search and destroy. I'll post my opinion after i give it a good run.

Oh and does anyone have an example server script? I tried the one posted here... but our server says it can't execute the mplayer.cfg

(mplayer.cfg is what i named the script)

Also, you lose any of your ranking if you go into a modded server, so keep another character profile for that.

Ouch, good to hear that in time. Thanks for the heads-up.

Already time for a first patch. Not only for small fixes, but als adding walk and the possibility to change firing-modes.

But the game is just a few days in MP and for now it delivers a solid experience. Let's see what the first patch brings us and I hope it won't be long.

Don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but I dug up some info.

COD4 official site

CoD4 Boards dot com

gamingsa.com

Infinity Ward Dedicated Server Setup Guide

Been to all of them. I used the 4th one as an example to se the shorcut up. It won't load the cfg and just brings up a generic script from when i went in and set it up in game (which has very limited options)