'Are you sure you want to quit?'

I've always wondered: why is it that when you click the quit button in any game it always comes up with a message saying 'are you sure you want to quit?' or something to that effect. The fact of the matter is, I wouldn't have clicked the button if I wasn't sure I wanted to quit.

If it's incase you accidently click the button then, well, when I *accidently* click the options button it doesnt come up with a message saying 'are you sure you want to go to the options menu?'

But when you accidentally go into the options menu, you can immediately get back to the game main menu with the click of one button. When you leave the game, there are more button clicks and it takes a lot longer to get back into it if you didn't really mean to leave it. It would be annoyingly frustrating to have to wait that long to get back to the main menu... if you were stupid enough to click the wrong button by mistake, that is.

When you leave the game, there are more button clicks and it takes a lot longer to get back into it if you didn't really mean to leave it.

There are also no more button clicks just before it loads into you playing the game. But guess what - it doesn't say 'are you sure you want to play this game?'

:wall: this one of my pet hate on the PC, hit the quit button, get the message "quit? yes or no" you hit the YES button and wham you get the " are you sure you want to quit" message :o:wall: it drives me up the wall

Tools -> Internet Options -> Tabs/Settings -> "Warn me when closing multiple tabs"

Stupid browsers, making it a simple option to toggle. :rolleyes:

I'd like them better if they had a "make wytchdokta happy" toggle, honestly. I heard opera did, but they must have taken the feature out or something, I was really disappointed.

Eh, someday internet browsers will catch up.

Or, along the same lines - loading loading loading then

CLICK TO CONTINUE

What the heck, I just sat here waiting 3 minutes for you to stop loading, now you want me to click to play, just start the freaking mission!

Actually, that's a bit tongue in cheek, as Click to Continue (and maybe Are You Sure) were mentioned in a recent games article about design "musts" in every game.

I'll see if I can find the link, but it escapes me where I read it recently.

What the heck, I just sat here waiting 3 minutes for you to stop loading, now you want me to click to play, just start the freaking mission!

I would hope that's tongue in cheek.

Nothing worse than waiting for some ridiculously long loading time for a level, only to have it throw you into the fray once the game is ready, without giving you the chance to actually be ready to go.

If load times were a few seconds, then it wouldn't matter, but when games can take several minutes to load, I don't want to sit there staring, just in case it finally loads, nor do I want to have to reload because I had the audacity to go get another beverage while waiting for the level to load.

YehI was kidding, I love the button. It means I can go for a pee, or get chocolate while it's loading without rushing back :D

*cue mental picture of Rocky hoppeti-hopping back to the computer, pants around his ankles, a yellow stain on his undies and mouth and hands covered in chocolate* :blink:

Respectfully

krise madsen

PS: Sorry to take the p. on ya Rocky, but you sorta walked straight into that one ;)

Edited by krise madsen

PS: Sorry to take the p. on ya Rocky, but you sorta walked straight into that one ;)

No need to apologise, I was fully expecting it and had my little black book turned to the hit list page already :ph34r:

In some games I'm annoyed by not being able to change the visual settings after you've loaded a game. You have to quit your mission, then change the visual settings. You have to start a new mission for every change to find the optimal settings for your PC :wall:

Yeh, but some games are worse, have you never seen "some changes will not take effect until the game is restarted" - yeh, the entire game!

Some games manage to change everything mid mission, resolution, AA, post effects etc etc, which is really cool, other games just can't manage it, I've always assumed it's just down to how clued up the developers are :mellow:

In some games, when you change the settings it asks you 'are you sure you want to make these changes?', then after it says 'do you want to keep these settings?'. Hardly gonna accidently press the apply button when i been playing about with the setting for the last 20 minutes now am I?

In some games, when you change the settings it asks you 'are you sure you want to make these changes?', then after it says 'do you want to keep these settings?'. Hardly gonna accidently press the apply button when i been playing about with the setting for the last 20 minutes now am I?

If your settings have created a visual defenct that will make it impossible to use the menus (like an incompatible resolution) that 'are you sure you want to keep? will revert in 20, 19, 18' thing is actually really useful.

I personally appreciate the "keep these settings" dialogue that shows up now and then. I've almost blown a monitor due to an application forcing a resolution change, but not reverting when it was incompatible. It was amusing trying to change the resolution back to something safe with the monitor turned off.

Yeah the "keep these settings?" dialogue boxes are a must, surely?? As are the "click to continue" ones (on long-load games), for pretty much exactly the reason Rocky explained - although I'd personally be off getting more vodka rather than chocolate!

What they could do instead of a specific box is load you in but then instantly pause the action until you make your first movement...?