Missions

AB_Lt_Cmd_Riker

Hi All:

I was wondering if somebody could explain to me what has to happen with a mission to make it "server-sided" as opposed to simply a straight "multiplayer" mission?

I am assuming that the "server-sided" type of mission is only required by a host or a server to have it installed in order for all players to "see" the mission and be able to play it...

I am assuming that the "server-sided" type of mission is only required by a host or a server to have it installed in order for all players to "see" the mission and be able to play it...

:thumbsup:

As long as the players has the mod that is being used by the mission file.

Spot on!

You can have a complete mod, with only server-sided missions if you wan't. Though make sure the missions only use files of mods that are activated by server and client(s).

Game on!

[edit]

I knew someone would beat me to it, could have known it was you Tinker, nice one!

[/edit]

Edited by Toniezz

In GR, all missions are fundamentally "server-sided" -- this means that (unlike GRAW) a player may join a server without having to download the specific mission (or gametype) being played ahead of time and easily participate in the game. In GR it is also true that the environment files are also server sided (allowing you to change skyboxes, fog, and the like).

Of course missions often reference other things... Character models, vehicle models, sounds, etc. It is critical that all the clients have all of these object available to them -- otherwise they will end up with a CTD (crash-to-desktop). So making a mission server-sided really just biols down to ensuring that the mission is not referring to anything that the clients do not have available.

On a side note, I strongly believe that the fact that so much of the game play was server-sided in GR really has been a huge enabler of the diversity of gametypes and missions that are available.