Switching out player models

Yeah, i tweaked Snowfella's Marine skin from one of his older releases to make it a little more realistic, but now I cant really enjoy it in GRAW2 which is a far superior game to GRAW1.

Also, while on the topic of changing player models, does anyone know how to switch the enemy PMC models with your team models? That seems like itd be pretty cool too.

My marine skin? :huh: I must of been making that one in my sleep or something or having to do several different things at once at the dayjob is causing some multiple personality problems :unsure:

Might want to recheck who did that skinmod mate as I've never realeased something like that.

My marine skin? :huh: I must of been making that one in my sleep or something or having to do several different things at once at the dayjob is causing some multiple personality problems :unsure:

Might want to recheck who did that skinmod mate as I've never realeased something like that.

I swore you did that task force wraith thing, but i just realized it was scubaman. Sorry for the mixup. Bad memory.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I swore you did that task force wraith thing, but i just realized it was scubaman. Sorry for the mixup. Bad memory.

That was me...

after playing i dont know how many hours GRAW1 and 2 i cant see those crye suits any longer, i'd like to change the ghost models too. i was able to switch the tangos' models through simple xml editing, but the ghosts with their many gizmos are a whole different story. i dont even want interchangeable parts, the Tangos' heads are fixed to their body models, which looks really funny when you try to mix different bodies. i hope there still is some experienced modder interested in GRAW2 who would be so kind to write a FAQ about that issue.

edit: ok now i managed to give my teammates individual heads and gizmos from the mexican arsenal, but WHERE and HOW do i edit the body itself? i found everything in the ghost_templates.xml except the bodies.

Edited by SpringMan

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering this as well because I never liked the space aged look, so I did some experiments. Here is Ramirez in light mex sf gear with a sniper head. This is how the textures came in, but I did turn off the torso pouches since they looked a bit weird with acu camo on a blackish vest.

ramirez_02.jpg

ramirez_01.jpg

He comes in multi-cam too

ramirez_04_multi.jpg

This is all done by xml editing and placing a few model and deisel files into the objects/beings/ghost_team directory. In this case, I put mex_sf_light.diesel and .xml in that dir so that the unit file u_teammates.xml could see it and use it.

In u_teammates.xml change ghost_team and ghost_team_player to mex_sf_light (or whatever you pick)

@teammate_ai_macro( teammate_ramirez, mex_sf_light, teammate_ramirez_husk, joe_, joe_sound )

<!-- @teammate_inv_macro( teammate_ramirez_inv, ghost_team, teammate_ramirez_husk, joe_, joe_sound ) -->

@teammate_player_macro( teammate_ramirez_player, mex_sf_light, teammate_ramirez_husk, joe_sound )

@teammate_husk_macro( teammate_ramirez_husk, mex_sf_light, joe_, joe_sound, RAMIREZ )

For the gear and head, I just changed it in the ghost_templates.xml

Looks like there is a lot of stuff in there, I'm sure some nice combinations can be found to give these guys a more contemporary image.

Edited by Brettzies

thanks A LOT! after nearly getting lost in the endless text deserts of graws XMLs i finally managed to switch the player models in the u_teammates.xml, but it was still one body for all ghosts. thanks to you i can finally customize my team!

One question remains though: how do you color the vest? there's a list with tintable gear, would i have to change something there? i have my camo everywhere i want, just the vest stays in a dark green.

Edited by SpringMan

Brown test: black helmet, clear goggles, matching skin tone face/arms

brown_01.jpg

ramirez_06_scarL.jpg

brown_02.jpg

Since I like non-destructive mods...meaning, when you change the skin or model for one character, it doesn't globally change everything, making your modified ghost look exactly like the merc or sf soldiers, I started making the merc and mex_sf textures and diesel files unique to the ghosts by using the duplication/rename method. Here I have brown using the merc base with a mex_sf helemet, but I've been able to change the textures so the helmet is black and his arm skin color is not caucasian. One thing about the merc base texture is that it doesn't seem to work with the interchangeable camo swatches, whereas the mex_sf does.

I'm gonna try to put together a nice looking contemporary ghost team. Maybe see about making those Marines a little less goofy looking too. This all started when I was trying to put M16s and M4s as the default weapons for Marines.

Edited by Brettzies

the mercs aren't teamcolorable indeed, but my problem is: the mexican SF's vest stays dark green too, they are of lighter color in the campaign.

This all started when I was trying to put M16s and M4s as the default weapons for Marines.

yes, those are much more appropriate. though i wasn't able to add any of your attachments, i used the same command the mercs have, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Edited by SpringMan

the mercs aren't teamcolorable indeed, but my problem is: the mexican SF's vest stays dark green too, they are of lighter color in the campaign.

This all started when I was trying to put M16s and M4s as the default weapons for Marines.

yes, those are much more appropriate. though i wasn't able to add any of your attachments, i used the same command the mercs have, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Might have to make the texture unique like the merc one, but then you give up the team interchangable patterns. I'm gonna work on this some more later as I want to add some patches, change patterns, and generally try to make each of the 7? ghosts look unique but on the same side. Maybe even try to import some custom headgear. Probably gonna go for a tan/black look overall.

Brettzies help please. Where i can find u_teammates.xml files? What folder?

data/units/beings

Try the search function in windows. It's a great and "free" mod tool. ;)

and if it isn't there, you'll probably have to extract it first via the bundlereader

Edited by SpringMan