Any aircraft spotters here?

Rocky

I was working near Leuchars airbase this week and was totally gobsmaked, stunned and in awe of the fighter jets flying just overhead.

So much so, I went back today and spent an hour watching them on the runway, taking off and landing. Fascinating. You'd need a really good camera to get good inflight shots, but I did manage to get these. Anyone know what they are?

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

There was a spotter guy there with a radio tuned in to the tower and pilots, that was quite cool. He told me that the jet in that last photo was a Eurofighter, there was a 2nd one parked up right next to that one.

I think I could turn into a military jet geek. :unsure:

edit > Come on Pave, I thought you'd be all over this like a rash :P

I even knew the Tornado's profile and I'm a Yank. We had an S-76 (Sikorsky business helicpter) land at the power plant today. It was even painted in Georgia Power colors.

Rocky, once you catch the bug (much as in racing), you will be hooked and wondering what everything in the air is. For commercial aviation, try Airliners.net. They have all sorts of pictures of civil aircraft.

Geek Alert: I think the Tornados are F.3 interceptors... :rolleyes:

That top picture reminds me of when I worked as a strawberry picker as a kid: There was an aircraft firing range not far from where I lived and one day 3 aircraft came low and slow over the strawberry fields. Except they weren't Tornados but F-111's...

Respectfully

krise madsen

Spend time out in the wilder bits of the UK, and it's surprising how often you can get suddenly up close and personal with quite a lot of very expensive flying kit. Images that spring to mind...

1 - Fishing a loch in the Trossachs with my wife and father-in-law, getting our boat buzzed (3 times!!) by a matched pair of Tornadoes

2 - Walking around Derwentwater in the Lake District: 3 Hercs in quick succession below fell-top level, then a 15-minute pause before 2 Chinooks arrived, hugging the contours, and practically landed together on the water below us in a cloud of spray. Couldn't see what was going on, but certainly wondered about an SF pick-up exercise or similar :ph34r:

3 - Fishing again, on the Welsh Wye: another Tornado howling down the valley (lucky I was looking upstream and saw him coming!!) no more than 50 feet up. I swear the pilot must have been a fisherman too, the way he swung over to check out the water level...

Good times...

Theo

Edited by TheoRetiKule

• 4 weeks later...

Nice pics Rocky...we'll turn you into a Fast Jet nut before too long.

@ Krise we've still got -111's down here in Australia mate...nice planes. We're pretty close to Williamtown here they have Hawk 127 trainers/ S-76 helos/ F/A-18s/ PC-9s and soon 737 AWACS.

Always good when the PACAF or USN come and play and you see F15's and F16s (From Kadena and Misawa respectively) and obv if USN are in town lots of Bugs and Super Bugs.

Ah for the ole Tomcat days. Do see the odd Blackhawk as well here and there...The Aussie equiv of 160th is actually pretty close to Snowfella (they are watching him :ph34r: .....)

Yup, see my fair share of Blackhawks going past here on their way between Holsworthy and Richmond...plus there's also the odd one going past at night too that you just can hear.

After having those eggbeaters around for so much during my Bosnia days I've noticed I can in 85% of cases tell if it's a hawk or just a civie bird just by the sound of em :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

@ Snow I'm sure you'd be happy if/when they get some MH-47's as well....

Mental note: make sure rooftiles are secure if that ever happends! :unsure:

Looks like they are getting another three Chooks mate...so watch out

Ya mean ######hooks?

(starts as a sh sound)

The t before the h would techinically denote a th sound (so -thook instead of -ook), so that blows that play on words starting with sh right out of the window.

Ya mean ######hooks?

(starts as a sh sound)

The t before the h would techinically denote a th sound (so -thook instead of -ook), so that blows that play on words starting with sh right out of the window.

Smartypants ;)

BTW, I hear the Brits called it The Mighty Wokka or sumfink.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Ya mean ######hooks?

(starts as a sh sound)

You aren't thinking right on this, it starts with sh and ends in it with hook added to it. :hmm:

Yup, see my fair share of Blackhawks going past here on their way between Holsworthy and Richmond...plus there's also the odd one going past at night too that you just can hear.

After having those eggbeaters around for so much during my Bosnia days I've noticed I can in 85% of cases tell if it's a hawk or just a civie bird just by the sound of em :wacko:

Heh, we're riding them more and more down here at Fort Hood than I've been used to. Just this past Wenesday they dropped us off for a 26 mile walk, and then we took them back for a few minute ride to the airfield. Would've been nice to fly in them for the distance, but what the hey :)

• 2 weeks later...