PC vs X-BOX360?

The expensive cost of PC building and the lack of support for PC games makes me question...... whats better? Should I bother with COD4 for the PC or should I just sell my PC and buy a X-Box?

I'm very dissapointed with GRAW2 lack of support. I'm not sure if its just ubi or Grinn. I'm sure its all about where the monies at. What do you all think?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, if game companies would develop titles that allowed me to use keyboard / mouse combos on my PS3 or X360 I would seriously consider giving it a try. I know you can buy keyboards for my PS3 but I'm not seeing a lot of support from the game devs yet.

Microsoft has seen too late that by making the X360 they themselves helped to drive a stake into PC gaming... a market that drives a percentage of MS revenue along with a LOT of support companies like Nvidia, ATI, Intel and AMD (do we really need the next-gen of video cards if we're gaming on consoles and using our PCs to read email? Trust me, ATI/AMD and NVidia NEED the PC gaming business to continue).

MS has half-heartedly built their "Games for Windows" marketing scheme but I'm not sure it will ever bring PC gaming back... MS does have a revenue stream with XBox so IF the PC gaming business dies they will survive.

I certainly prefer PC gaming, but I'm reminded of a quote from The Matrix... (paraphrased)...

"Do you hear that, Mister Anderson, the high and mighty PC gamer? That is the sound of console gaming. That is the sound of inevitability. It's the sound of your death...."

-John K.

How this for an equation with a final result I do not understand or comprehend ..

UBI owns Red Storm, Red Storm created GR1. GRIN created GRAW and GRAW 2 under UBI.

Therefore, essentially, UBI owns the rights to GR1 and GRAW1&2. I understand how they released the GR1 series maps for GRAW 2 XBOX360, because of Red Storm's development. But seeing how UBI owns Red Storm.. could they not also release the same maps for the PC?

I know it's slightly off topic.. but I think it makes sense..

As for PC vs. Console.. I perfer PC .. don't be fooled by the support GRAW 2 is getting on the console.. not all game developers or games for that matter get the same support.

As for the PC, the same is true.. most games get support.

Which brings me to another question.. it looks like UBI does support it's XBOX 360 games after the fact.. and they have that down pat.. you'd think the ywould see how it might affect the PC market in a positive light to support them as well? Then again RB6:V got a large patch a few months after .. I honestly think, if UBI could release the GR1 maps from Red Storm, this game would have a new set of wings .. large wings at that..

Stick to the PC.

I don't know why peeps use the argument of expensive hardware - I bought my PC nearly 3 years ago for 1000€ and I still can play games getting released today.

Console is no difference. It stays longer yes, but still is expensive, so are the games for consoles and you actually need to buy a HDTV too just to use the console at all - talk about expensive cost. (they are long time-investments, but combined and with the higher cost of games it adds up in the long run - so there's no difference in PC/console-costs)

And just leaving PC behind because of the Tom Clancy-Franchise ? Dunno, you still can play the older Clancy-titles and enough other titles that give you a similar satisfaction than the from UBI "consolified" Clancy-games. Of course somehow it hurts UBI is messing that franchise up for financals (since they don't seem to get that a serious Tac-Shooter would be way more successful than those strange things in between that don't really know what they are like GRAW1 + 2 for PC).

In the end, it depends what kind of games you want to play. But games, that are not as cheap as the last Clancy-titles for PC, get a proper support and getting patched and receive new content for years.

Too bad Ubi really doesn't get it and I had to leave the clancy-franchise behind. But there are games coming and always will, too many devs prefer the PC and enough Publishers still know where a lot of money can be earned. ;)

One thing I don't like about consoles is how they're closed platforms. No, really. If Bill Gates decided tomorrow that the only games worth playing was Japanese homoerotica, he could make it happen on the 360, just like that. I don't like that (neither leaving control of all gaming to a single entity, nor Japanese homoerotica).

The greatest strength of the PC is the fact that it is an open platform. With time and money, anyone can create content for it, without having to ask Bill Gates or the board of Sony for permission first.

Respectfully

krise madsen

How this for an equation with a final result I do not understand or comprehend ..

UBI owns Red Storm, Red Storm created GR1. GRIN created GRAW and GRAW 2 under UBI.

Therefore, essentially, UBI owns the rights to GR1 and GRAW1&2. I understand how they released the GR1 series maps for GRAW 2 XBOX360, because of Red Storm's development. But seeing how UBI owns Red Storm.. could they not also release the same maps for the PC?

There are 2 ways that could happen.

1, UBI writes a good enough contract with Grin to do the conversion to PC. Also based on that Grin have spare people at the time.

2, UBI can do it themselves (or make RSE do it). UBI got the entire source code for GRAW2, as they requested in the contract. So they have everything except the experience of the engine and XML setup to do it themselves.

I would like to convert some of the updated 360 maps for PC, if that question would arise. But it's not up to me, and I also guess they want me on the project I'm working right now as we have our hands full everyday on the tech side. :P

I prefer PC out of four reasons.

1) Cheap games. PC games are usually a lot cheaper than console games. While you can buy a completely new PC game for about $39.99, you have to pay about $59.99 for the same game on the consoles.

2) Lasting appeal. Mods. You can't mod console games. One of the best mods that I usually try to get is intro-removers. Game intros can be frustrating sometimes but you can usually find mods for PC games that removes them.

Ex. Splinter Cell: Chaos Thory. It has like 4 or 5 unskipable intros but with one small adjustment they're gone!

3) No disc in the DVD-drive (if you're lucky). With games like COH and software like Steam you don't need a DVD/CD in the drive when you play. It's very comfortable for us lazy ###### :P

4) Mouse and keyboard. It speaks for itself.

There are 2 ways that could happen.

1, UBI writes a good enough contract with Grin to do the conversion to PC. Also based on that Grin have spare people at the time.

2, UBI can do it themselves (or make RSE do it). UBI got the entire source code for GRAW2, as they requested in the contract. So they have everything except the experience of the engine and XML setup to do it themselves.

I would like to convert some of the updated 360 maps for PC, if that question would arise. But it's not up to me, and I also guess they want me on the project I'm working right now as we have our hands full everyday on the tech side. :P

Wofsong. Thanks for posting in my topic thread. Its nice to hear from someone that may have the inside scoop on serious issues for the PC gamer. Your last paragraph insinuates ubi does not want you working on the 360 conversion maps. Can you give us any information in regards to weather or not GRAW2 for PC will be getting any more stock maps? Arroyo has a sound issue we don't run that on our cycle. So that only leaves us with 7 tdm maps. I'm really bored with it.

you actually need to buy a HDTV too just to use the console at all -

False. All you need is a simple $6 hdmi to dvi cable and you are playing your 360 on your pc monitor in HD. For those machines without hdmi you get the $19 cables and still play on your monitor.

For the record I hate these debates. It's obvious that most don't know enough about either the consoles (pc group) or the pc (console players) to really make a good point (which is obvious from some of these comments). I usually tend not to compare the differences between apples and oranges personally.

1) Cheap games. PC games are usually a lot cheaper than console games. While you can buy a completely new PC game for about $39.99, you have to pay about $59.99 for the same game on the consoles.

:smart: Plus there's nothing like the the PC games bargain bin where you can pick up all kinda cool games for $10 or less. I saw RVS Athena Sword for $1.88 the other day at Sam Goodys. :santa:

you actually need to buy a HDTV too just to use the console at all -

False. All you need is a simple $6 hdmi to dvi cable and you are playing your 360 on your pc monitor in HD. For those machines without hdmi you get the $19 cables and still play on your monitor.

For the record I hate these debates. It's obvious that most don't know enough about either the consoles (pc group) or the pc (console players) to really make a good point (which is obvious from some of these comments). I usually tend not to compare the differences between apples and oranges personally.

My biggest argument against the X360 is the fact that they all eventually die, most likely due to heat issues. People have had a brand new X360 for mere days and it up and dies. Yes, there are now 3 year warranties to cover certain problems, but that doesn't cover everything. I have seen people complain about having to buy 3 or more of them and for that kind of cash, one could build and/or upgrade a PC for gaming. That doesn't discout the price of the games either. They run on average $15 more a game for an X360 title.

My biggest argument against the X360 is the fact that they all eventually die

I don't think this is entirely true, as Everything dies and/or has a lifespan, sure there have been issues but to say that's the foundation for your argument? Yes you hear about the ones that blow up, but how many 1,000's of the ones that didn't don't you hear about? There is quite the satisfied customer base out there, now speaking from my experience of 1, I've had mine (360) for a year now, it's played darn near every day by someone in this house, if I had to guess, probably 3 hours on an average day, it's ticking along, no issues. I keep it ventilated, and haven't had issue one... as for game prices, sure they are high at first, but if you can be patient, wait a month or two, you'll find 50 copies at your local game crazy for $25 less, fully warranty, I don't remember the last time I bought a used PC game. If you go into a console purchase with that understanding, I don't think you can lose.

Now that I've said all that, comparing the two isn't fair, apples and oranges, I enjoy my 360 for what it is, and I will never give up my PC gaming.

Yes, there are now 3 year warranties to cover certain problems, but that doesn't cover everything.

Actually, it pretty much does. I've somehow lucked into three xboxes breaking, and they were all repaired/replaced for free.

+1, though on my original X-Box, the laser went bad, so I boxed it up shipped it off on a Fridy, and had it back working by the following Friday, no questions asked.

A gamer over at Ubi stated that he purchased an extended warranty and such. MS declined to replace his X360 and it was in the 3 year warranty period and in the extended warranty period. Loss of $150. Not everything is covered.

Ok this argument is really getting to me. These stories are just that, stories. Yes, some of these online stories on forums I would say are legit but several of them are MS haters who just want to go along with the crowd and bash Microsoft. I know several people personally, not online, that have had the xbox for two to three years without a problem. Don't you think that if the problem was even nearly as bad as people have hyped it to be that one of those several xbox's would have had a problem by now? Let me tell you what some of the problem is, user error. People mistreating their systems or putting them in areas of poor ventilation, or trying to "mod" them and ruining them and then trying to get MS to replace them. If it's under warranty it's under warranty white knight. I don't by the story that they wouldn't replace it. What was the stated reason they wouldn't fix it? Pc's are just as susceptible to these mistreatments as well. If you don't have good air going through your case your going to have issues. Also, a friend of mine built his system in May and one of his memory sticks went out. I think PC parts are just as likely to go out on you. It's just easier with pc parts because you don't have to send you whole computer in when something goes bad. How many threads have we seen in the computer discussions where people are complaining about video cards or power supplys going out on them?

Ok, here is my somewhat organized view on advantages and disadvantages of PC/Xbox360

Hardware:

Xbox Pros -

- Everyone is on an even playing field and is going to see the same graphic effects you are.

- Games are developed specifically for your hardware and developers only have to keep one set of specs in mind when making a game. Games then become better optimized for the 360.

- Everything is put together for you and works right out of the box. Don't have to worry about driver updates or compatibility issues, or trying to "build" your system. Just go at it.

- I'm not going to pick up a virus on my xbox

Xbox Cons -

- Can never upgrade. What's in the box is what you get. Only possible way at the moment is to increase hard drive space which costs an arm and a leg or by upgrading to an elite model which is a waste as you're buying a whole new console.

- As stated earlier, if one component of the xbox goes bad the whole thing has to be repaired or replaced. Impossible to just send back the video card or memory for example.

PC Pros -

- Basically the opposite of the xbox cons. Can update various components of your machine at different times to help get better performance.

- Many different manufacturers with PC hardware making cost pretty competitive. Only three competitive consoles on the market (ps3 is questionable as competitive but we'll include it).

PC Cons -

- Unless you've been into pc's for years it can be really intimidating trying to update your pc. Making sure you get the right ram for your motherboard. Even for those who are pretty familiar with PC's this can be daunting.

- As we have seen with windows vista or on several pc games driver compatibility issues can be a headache.

- Trying to upgrade for the next big game can get costly, especially for a anyone trying to also provide for a family. It seems like on the pc the games are developed to promote hardware upgrades. They aren't trying to optimize the game as much as 360 developers. The PC people know that if you want to make the game look better most will not have a problem going out and getting the latest gear.

The Games:

Xbox Pros -

- Don't have to sit around and wait for it to install. Just pop it in and go.

- The ability to rent a game and test it before you buy. Sure you can get a demo on the pc and try the game but it's not the same as trying out the full version of the game. I'm sure some of you have wished several times that you could have played a PC game before you bought and saved yourself the $50.

- There seems to be a decent focus on family games. My wife does not play pc games at all and has never had an interest, but loves a lot of the family xbox games and arcade games and of course the fun wii games.

- More then one person can play on a console at a time if the game supports it. I love that if we have company over or friends over some of us can just jump on the system and play while the wives chit chat. The PC is so much more a loners system unless you play online. This is one of my personal favorites of the console. Sure I love playing coop online but having someone with you in the room at times is a whole different feeling.

- Games provide gamer points and achievements which adds re-playability to several of the games.

Xbox Cons -

- You always have to have the game in the console. If you damage the original disk then your only option is to buy another one.

- Cost is higher for new games on the xbox. New games always seem to be $60 for the xbox compared to $50 on the pc. I will say though that the availability of buying used games at retail stores is much better for the xbox, and the fact that you can trade in old games you no longer play is helpful as well

- Cost differences between xbox360 games and pc can be even higher for those living outside of the U.S. Up to twice as much in some circumstances (Thanks Rocky/Hockeystick)

- No modibility. Our only real additions to the game come from the grace of the developers. I had heard of something before where players could start making mods for the games somehow but haven't hear anything else of it so it much not be taking off.

Pc Pros -

- Same as before. Pros are basically the opposite of the xbox cons.

- Cheaper, modable, the ability on some games to not have the disk in the drive.

- Many newer games are available for download which saves you a trip to the store and wondering if they have it in stock.

- PC's because of better hardware, are usually able to handle larger maps and more players online

Pc Cons -

- I don't know. Been writing this forever and really can't think of anything.

- Various problems that slip through beta testing because they only affect certain gamers because of their unique hardware/OS setups and game settings (Credit - Gav80)

- Although both sytems have their cheaters and people who can exploit certain things in the game, the cheating problem seems to be a little more prevalent on the PC games. (Credit - Hockeystick)

Pc pro or con (depending on financial situation) -

- Gamers who spend thousands on their rigs and can therefore run higher settings and get faster framerates can have an advantage over gamers playing on a more more modest set of hardware (or with poorly optimised game settings) (Credit - Gav80)

Online Play:

Xbox Pros -

- Great matching options and lobby rooms that lets you play with casual gamers instead of the hard core freaks

- Every console comes with a mic and you can use the headset while you're playing even if the game doesn't support coms. This is done through setting up a private conversation. I can be playing one game and having a conversation with someone playing a different game.

- Universal friends list. The xbox live system keeps a friends list for you that tells you whether they are online or off and what game they are playing and just makes it extremely easy to find them and get in on a game with them. This is really nice for keeping track of your clan easily

Xbox Cons -

- Costs you $50 a year ($40 at some retailers if you shop right). You get what you pay for though.

- Only one universal gametag for every game. Could be good or bad depending on how you see it. Good in that it makes sure no one else can use your name on another game, bad if you really hate that gamertag and can't change it without paying more money.

PC Pros -

- It's free. You get what you pay for, aka gamespy.

- Xfire tools. It's free and allows gamers an easy way to keep track of and find friends on whatever game they are playing. (Credit - Gav80)

Pc Cons -

- This is again basically the opposite of the xbox pros. The options on xbox live are just amazing what you can do. Everything you need just seems to be right there.

- Communications. I hate playing games like ghost recon and not knowing who has mics and who doesn't or having to get info for their teamspeak server and alt tab out of the game to try and join. It is just the biggest hassle. Even back on the days of socom II on the ps2 it seemed like everyone on your team had a mic and if they didn't they got kicked. I don't know how anyone can play a shooter without a good mic system. Teamspeak has been great for pc gaming but it still seems like games are really lacking in the comms aspect.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, I'm going to stop with those comparisons that I have there because this has taken forever and I'm tired. After all is said and done I love that I have a decent PC to play on and I also really love that I have an xbox 360 (again) to meet other needs.

Finally though I'll leave you all with ultimate Xbox Pro item, and that is the fact that we are getting a sweeeeet [Ghost Recon] throwback map pack. Thank you red storm!

Edited by dporter