Beta TDM game play

Metal_Jacket

It's quite fast-paced isn't it? Not as bad as I'd feared, though... I think you could play carefully if you chose to. Nice looking map!

Very true, you can choose what style suits you best; it doesn’t have to be all go.

I think I will be right in saying, if your team likes to use tactical strategy in your game play against a bunch of “run and gunnersâ€, you will win more often than not.

You *can't* play careful and slow and get a decent score in TDM.

Search and destroy, however, is a whole different game. Tactics and slow, stealthy movement win the day.

I've never liked TDM as a gametype anyway, I much prefer some sort of team objective. I guess if I decide to give this game a try (still undecided) I will be playing Search and Destroy then.

I wasnt all that impressed with the singleplayer demo, but that video of multiplayer may have just sold me!

Did you see how fast players died when hit with a solid burst? None of this headshot only stuff thats proliferating FPShooters lately.

And the kill cam! If I'm seeing that right, you see your final five seconds through the eyes of your killer. Hard to cheat if someone gets to see what they just did in a replay.

Built in realism mod

16 maps at release

Punkbuster

great graphics

32 players

realistic hit detection

nice.

And the kill cam! If I'm seeing that right, you see your final five seconds through the eyes of your killer. Hard to cheat if someone gets to see what they just did in a replay.

Besides the fact that this is a genius camper-killer. Imagine you being online with your clan and a sniper is laying in the grass and got you. Tell 1 or 2 mates to come with you to get him. I like that - very good thing. ^_^

Did you see how fast players died when hit with a solid burst?

People definitely go down fast in cod4. I played a ton of the beta on the 360, it's very difficult *not* to get a kill if you've got the drop on someone. Especially considering the Deep Impact perk, which increases the penetration of shots through cover.

As for the killcam, yeah, it's pretty awesome. Tends to get a bit frustrating though, it shows the server's side of things and you notice some lag that isn't near as apparent when playing (like your hits not registering on the killer)

I played a ton of the beta on the 360

Sup, are you able to talk about it?

Are the 360 maps similar to PC?

Have you tried a good variety of maps in the beta?

What do you think about the layout of the maps you tried?

Did you get to try different game modes, TDM, Search and Destroy, etc?

I played a ton of the beta on the 360

Sup, are you able to talk about it?

Are the 360 maps similar to PC?

Have you tried a good variety of maps in the beta?

What do you think about the layout of the maps you tried?

Did you get to try different game modes, TDM, Search and Destroy, etc?

Yeah, I am, the beta was public.

Maps should be the same, as far as I've heard, unless they're going to release different ones as further downloadable content.

The maps they gave in the beta were... Crash, Overgrown, and Vacant. They were all fairly small I guess (overgrown being the most open) but that seemed more like a game design thing than a console limitation. Both Crash and Overgrown had plenty of room to snipe.

Variety was tremendous.

Vacant was mostly indoors, and in tdm it boiled down to chaotic fights out front of the building and in the longer hallways, plus constant flanking and rushing through the rooms. It was also all one level, aside from the fact that the building was on a hefty foundation and a little higher than the small amount of ground round it.

Crash was mid sized, had a few long alleys and one large mostly open area (where the crashed helicopter that's the setpiece for the map is located) It was fairly big, deceptively so at first glance, but the combat keeps and incredibly intense urban feel due to the crisscrossing fire arcs all of the buildings and windows provide. Good for sniping, smgs, or rifles, all kinds of combat situations packed cleverly into what in the end was a fairly small map.

Overgrown was probably my favorite, because without actually being that much larger than Crash it gave the impression that it was really huge. Three long open (two roads and a creekbed) areas running parallel to eachother, and two rows of buildings. All of the buildings were very different than the squared ones in Crash, and instead, being large farmouses, didn't break up the open area fighting as much as they assisted it. Small windows, and less of them, kept it very focused on the open area combat, just gave a place for scoped assault rifles and MGs to show their power, and the interiors gave smgs and shotguns a use.

As for gametypes, I'm pretty sure all I played was S&D and TDM.

Deathmatch is incredibly fun while looking realistic, but the play isn't slow or tactical at all. You race to a fight, try to shoot before the enemy does, and sprint to the next fight. It uses a 'rotating' spawn system, like COD2 did, so whenever the enemy team outnumbers your team around your spawn, it becomes theirs and your spawn moves to the next important point in the map, in a vaguely circular motion. This is awesome, because it always keeps the teams fighting over control of important areas of the map, without beating the players over the head with the mechanic. Very subtle, and really cool.

There's still room for teamwork and stealth -- ghuille suits work great, due to how fast everyone's racing around, and getting a good team together in one of Crash's buildings turns it into a fortress, but all and all the gameplay is fast, chaotic, and fairly unrealistic.

S&D, however, is entirely different. It's roundbased, and in the mode I was playing 4vs4. No respawns between rounds. The attacking team tries to plant explosives at one of two sites and then defend them, the defending team tries to wipe out the attackers or defuse their bomb. No respawns during each round which, with how fast you can die in cod4, really changes up the gameplay.

Overgrown was my favorite map for it. The large size and rows of buildings gave a lot of room for sneaking, and if you moved slow you could usually hear the other team stomping around well before they saw you. I guess there's a risk S&D could get relative/formulaic, but the variety of weapons and perks ought to give enough variety in tactical concerns to keep players going about it smart.

Crash was cool too, each team starts on opposite sides of the map, with the two objectives far away from eachother and far away from both of them. Want to rush all four of your teammates to one and try to secure it before the other team regroups, stealthily scout, spread out, to the first major area? Tons of options, and really fun to play with a team you know.

Didn't really like vacant on S&D, it seemed to boil down to getting MG'd down a long room out front, or shotgunned by someone hiding in a corner around back.

There was a realism mod mentioned by one of the devs, was this discussed in the beta forums and is run speed addressed by it?

Not that I saw, it was a console only beta and I don't imagine mods were much of a concern for xbox owners. Forum's open as long as you have a (free) login at the cod4 site: http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/board/ind...cc15f98289785e4

Rage the Hardcore Mode which you're talking about is designed to bring it closer to realism.

Not sure if the run speed will change - but it might be something they address sduring patching.

By default though - I think a Hardcore Mode would have to slow down - cos you dont have the Health Bar to protect you.

Cant wait for this game.

GRIN had its chance with GRAW2 - I think this will see its inevitable death cos I dont even think a GRAW3 will beat this - not to mention when COD5 hits the shevles.

Might be wrong - its happened b4. ;)

Lightspeed, I will have to think deeply about buying GRAW3, it all depends on what they do with GRAW2.

If they are prepared to leave the game in the state that it is now, who’s to say they won’t do it again with other games.

Rage the Hardcore Mode which you're talking about is designed to bring it closer to realism.

Not sure if the run speed will change - but it might be something they address sduring patching.

By default though - I think a Hardcore Mode would have to slow down - cos you dont have the Health Bar to protect you.

Cant wait for this game.

GRIN had its chance with GRAW2 - I think this will see its inevitable death cos I dont even think a GRAW3 will beat this - not to mention when COD5 hits the shevles.

Might be wrong - its happened b4. ;)

By health bar, I'm assuming you mean that you don't have automatic self healing regeneration.

Hardcore mode FTW.

I'll have to browse some of there forums for more info. Would love to see slightly slower run speed, no health regen, and none of the "attributes" added, just a level playing field.

That would be great...this is sounding more like an old game I used to play all the time... ;)

Edited by PwntUpRage

@ Metal Jacket - re: GRAW3 is exactly my point - if they're prepared to leave GRAW2 half-baked then I seriously doubt their ability to make GRAW3 better then COD4 and beyond. Hence the reason they are branching out in games (currently 3 in production) so that if GRAW goes downhill they have fallbacks.

@ Rage re: Healthbar - I dont know how the healthbar currently works in COD - but essentially the difference is, in non-hardcore you can take more hits and probably regenerate health. This won't be possible in hardcore and you would be lucky to survive 2 or 3 hits I would say.

Raises the question - will you have perks in Hardcore?

Raises the question - will you have perks in Hardcore?

AFAIK not - which makes it much more playable and it would stay true to the Hardcore-title. Besides the non-Hud and non-regeneration.

Only your rifle and your team - love it. With your clan definetly a tactic-pleasure. :rocky:

A rumor has it with a proper hitbox-system. Meaning you get slower when hit in the leg and aiming gets harder when hit in torso/arm.

I still am waiting on PC-specific information about the MP, so far Activision didn't tell us much and IWs hands are tied(ok, they are on vacation this week anyhow). ;)

Edited by rookie