Question About Enemy Spawns

So I was playing Hacienda (Get Me Rosen) in SP the other day and I snuck up to the top of the cliff south of the hacienda. I left my AI teammate back at the starting location. After silently killing the sniper at the top of the cliff, I was scopped in looking at the buildings below. I saw like two enemies below me on the road but nobody on the tops of the buildings or near the blackhawk. So I proceeded to move my teammate closer to the hacienda. At this point, enemies just seemed to "spawn" into place, like they were triggered by him moving in closer. It was at this point that I was shot and killed by some sniper on a building, and I hadn't even fired a shot! I understand that this game should be hard but at night like this, enemies shouldn't be able to see you crouched on top of a cliff unless you give away your position with an non-silenced gun. Does anyone know if all the enemies are loaded at the start of a map or do they spawn into position when you get closer?

Yes, but the typical result has been laggy play. Even the much ballyhooed COD4 only has a few enemy AI on the screen at any one time, but since they spawn ad infinitum it seems like a lot.

If you care to try, limit the number of active AI at any one time to 30 or so. But, even that is a high number.

Yes, but the typical result has been laggy play. Even the much ballyhooed COD4 only has a few enemy AI on the screen at any one time, but since they spawn ad infinitum it seems like a lot.

If you care to try, limit the number of active AI at any one time to 30 or so. But, even that is a high number.

I thought I had read in another thread that the reason for the trigger-activated spawning was exactly for that reason... too many at one time in the "game world" and performance went south VERY quickly.

-John K.

I thought I had read in another thread that the reason for the trigger-activated spawning was exactly for that reason... too many at one time in the "game world" and performance went south VERY quickly.

-John K.

That is exactly correct. Which is why when he asked "Is there a way to edit the xml files to have them spawn earlier than they do?" I replied "Yes, but the typical result has been laggy play."

Really, after playing the COD4 demo, I am more impressed with Grin's AI management. While GRAW 2 gameplay is not open vis a vis GR1, it is not as linear as COD4. I can see how Grin's AI would require more RAM & CPU cycles than other games. Based on the demo, COD4's AI range of motion is limited to maybe 30 meters, with the typical range being more like 3 meters. And, you can see very little "decision making" on the part of the enemy AI.

I know Grin uses "group awareness" for the enemy AI. If they could improve inter-group communication, it would greatly improve this & any future Grin game. For example, in "Get me Rosen" when the AI activates the alarm, I believe it triggers an event or two, but it doesn't altert the rest of the groups to your presence or location.