Empty server uploading +1MB

Chrisp

Often i see my Server running more upload than i actually have (only upload goes crazy, download i close to null when it happens).. I asumed all along it was a error of some sort from a client, but today i noticed it even when there were no players on the server...

It stops uploading the moment i shut down the server, so what i would like to know is.. are there any possibility at all, that someone is using the open ports gr:aw2/gamespy uses, to do illegal stuff, or maybe gamespy is messing it up or a bug in the server/game?

Any other dedicated serverhosts noticed anything like this?

Edited by Chrisp

I see it on some custom coop maps, and on coop quarry occasionally. Upload is plenty busy, but no one is connected.

Think players are trying to connect, but the dedicated server application has degraded somehow. Maybe because of the memory leak it has. Not sure. :(

Edited by buttercupp

Just a thought, is it possibel its could be the serverstatus script ( http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...45196&st=15 ) thats hogging the bandwith if updated to often... ?

I know our webmaster had to up it to 1024 bytes to function properly when running i.e the trr mod with all maps activated on the server..

Going to try for a while without having it collect data and see how that works out..

Will post whatever findings i come up with later...

Edited by Chrisp

Just a thought, is it possibel its could be the serverstatus script ( http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...45196&st=15 ) thats hogging the bandwith if updated to often... ?

I know our webmaster had to up it to 1024 bytes to function properly when running i.e the trr mod with all maps activated on the server..

Going to try for a while without having it collect data and see how that works out..

How is the server status script implemented on your website? Is it phpnuke or html? Is it on of the first things loaded on your page, or do you have to click a link?

It should only query upon a page load, not constantly.

We upped ours to 1024 bytes. When the server is idle and I do a query, it doesn't really use any bandwidth...maybe .5k? Barely a blip.

Edited by buttercupp

There is a glitch where custom maps will show more players than are actually in a server...it will give a total of all players that HAVE BEEN in there. Perhaps it is also still uploading them data as well...

That very well could be, since it only seems to happen on custom maps.

Sometimes quarry will cough up a hairball like that, though. Maybe due to all the vehicle activity.

How is the server status script implemented on your website? Is it phpnuke or html? Is it on of the first things loaded on your page, or do you have to click a link?

We upped ours to 1024 bytes. When the server is idle and I do a query, it doesn't really use any bandwidth...maybe .5k? Barely a blip.

Havent been able to reach our webmaster, and I honestly dont know if its php, html or whatever...

The script is implemented on the frontpage.

I have set my router to block it from reaching my server now, and from watching router log I can see it updates whenever someone loads/refresh/visits the frontpage.

After blocking the script, I have had no problems at all with the upload going crazy, so my guess is that it has to do with the status script somehow.....

Think about it, the php script query's the server everytime it's loaded. If the script could be set to update to a local database every 20 seconds or so and the front page display the local readings, that would cut down the upload off the server. The problem with that, is that it isn't real time. But that is what you trade off for constant hit's on the server via the php script.

Havent been able to reach our webmaster, and I honestly dont know if its php, html or whatever...

The script is implemented on the frontpage.

I have set my router to block it from reaching my server now, and from watching router log I can see it updates whenever someone loads/refresh/visits the frontpage.

After blocking the script, I have had no problems at all with the upload going crazy, so my guess is that it has to do with the status script somehow.....

Interesting. We use a php status on ours also. Same issues on our old server. I may try changing it, and bringing it back up to see if that resolves it. The bad thing is though i really like seeing who is on it. Maybe i'll just leave it hidden and give it to our members only.

Web master here 0:)

The site is running php on a joomla framework.

The script in question is loaded as one of the first code parts on the web site.

The web site is: http://www.ghostrecon.dk - you will find the script on the left side unless Chrisp is still blocking the ports in his router. If so, you will see only a "Cross Com Failure" where the script should be. :huh:

Should have done this from start, but didnt really consider custom maps being the problem after seing upload going crazy on an empty server.... :blush:

However, last night playing coop with a few others we finished the mission and then server loaded a new map.. this was a custom map that not all had, so only 2 of us joined the new map loaded..

At the same time upload went crazy again, and we could almost not play because of high pings caused by the heavy upload from the server.

I left the server, and then watched it uploading full speed for about 10 minn. hoping it would stop by itself, before restarting the server.

Apparently if someone gets disconnected because they dont have the new (custom)map loaded it can cause the server to start uploading out of control. :hmm:

I have now Enabled statusscript again, but removed all custom maps from the server to see how that goes.

Apparently if someone gets disconnected because they dont have the new (custom)map loaded it can cause the server to start uploading out of control. :hmm:

Yup, seen it do that before.

Funny, I've done a swap with our two dedicated servers (put coop on our Dallas location, and HH on our Vegas location), and still see the same issues with coop:

Still get "out of memory crashes" on an idle server, and bandwidth hammering on custom maps. Also, bandwidth hammering when a custom map coughs up a hairball, and it skips to the next map.

Stock maps only.. still happens..

Been able to figure out a couple of reasons why it happens tho..

Apparently if someone chrashes out or leave using alt+F4 the server keep trying sending data to the client.

The worst cases I have noticed, are if they chrash/leave(using alt+F4) during mapchange..

I now made a post about it now in bug section. It clearly must be a bug that the server keep trying to send data to a client that is no longer connected, and keep doing so even 5-? minutes from disconnecting.