help please with .dds

My problem originally was not being able to edit .dds with paint shop pro (the photoshop plugin won't work for me) so I found a dds to tga converter which should work, but here's my question. When I'm done editing, there are several options for saving to .dds, for example "Interpolated Alpha, DXT 5". I'm not sure which particular format of .dds the graw2 files are, since I can't examine them until they are changed to tga. I just need someone to let me know what the format is (specifically the character textures). Thanks!

Edited by doubletap

I know most of the .dds texture files are saved in DXT 5 format including the character textures. The camo textures for the characters are DXT 1 ........if I'm not mistaken. I've saved the camos both ways and didn't see any difference so if in doubt I'd just use DXT 5.

The .dds plugin for Photoshop should work just fine in Paintshop Pro. I have Photoshop 7 & Paintshop Pro 11, the .dds plugin works very in both programs.

I have PSP7. I have seen that others with version 7 are using the plugin ok. I think my problem is either missing files, like a .dll, or misplaced files when I install them. I have tried the newest plugin, as well as an older dds.8bi file, and each gives me a different error. One says file not recognized, the other results in some file type error.

This is how I installed the plugin:

\....\paint shop pro 7\plug-ins\

File Formats\"dds.8bi"

Filters\"normalMapFilters.8bf"

and Windows\System32\"msvcr70.dll"

I know most of the .dds texture files are saved in DXT 5 format including the character textures. The camo textures for the characters are DXT 1 ........if I'm not mistaken. I've saved the camos both ways and didn't see any difference so if in doubt I'd just use DXT 5.

Thanks Lloyde. The characters and camo is exactly what I'll be working with.

Edited by doubletap

I have PSP7. I have seen that others with version 7 are using the plugin ok. I think my problem is either missing files, like a .dll, or misplaced files when I install them. I have tried the newest plugin, as well as an older dds.8bi file, and each gives me a different error. One says file not recognized, the other results in some file type error.

The dds plug-in that I'm using is 680kb. The rsb plug-in that I'm using is 120kb.

If you like, I could send you the rsb & dds plug-ins I'm using, to see if they work for you.

Also, it might be an idea to Windows search for Windows\System32\msvcr70.dll, see what comes up if anything. I would do a little more research myself, but I haven't got time right now as I gotta head out to work.

Edited by WytchDokta