Would you pay for an official GR:AW 2 map pack?

Having had discussion with you in the past it's clear that you think your opinions are the most important, and by extension it gives the impression that's how the whole of GRIN thinks.
I post these little things occasionally because I don't think there is solid enough substance in the discussion to motivate putting aside as much dev time as whatever feature is currently on the topic would do. I'm usually looking for something more substantial that would motivate it as a "make or break" feature.

I'm not saying that things are the way they are because that's the way they should be. I'm merely posting that I don't see the big fuzz about it and I'm looking for opinions based on reasonable facts.

It's in no way how the whole of Grin thinks. There are over 100 people there now and I think there are a lot of opinions on every issue. I'm have my own opinions and they sometimes prove wrong like they do for everyone, but when I don't feel convinced simple loose comments like the one I made in this topic, which was of a general nature and not 100% connected to GRAW2 in my mind, is a good way to try and get more input to use in the next iteration on the subject in my brain.

Answer this: How hard would it have been for GRIN to take the single player maps and convert them for m/p?

On the MP part, the zones could have been placed in a day. But on a game dev level there are more things that would need to be considered, especially for the on disc release version of a game. For example all maps would have to be performance tested with 32 players in MP, which I don't think they would all pass without rebuilding quite substantially. Besides technical issues there is also the problem with the map layouts that are designed especially for each SP mission, which in most cases don't do well in MP modes. So rather then have maps that play a mode badly, it's better to leave it out.

EDIT: Added in the second quote for better overview as it switched forum page, added correct quote on first section. Cleared up some stuff.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's the "I know what's best for you" attitude from devs that invariably shoot the devs in the foot.
I post these little things occasionally because I don't think there is solid enough substance in the discussion to motivate putting aside as much dev time as whatever feature is currently on the topic would do. I'm usually looking for something more substantial that would motivate it as a "make or break" feature.

I'm not saying that's the way it is because that's the way it should be. I'm merely posting that I don't see the big fuzz about it and I'm looking for opinions based on reasonable facts.

Answer this: How hard would it have been for GRIN to take the single player maps and convert them for m/p?

On the MP part, the zones could have been placed in a day. But on a dev level there are more things that would need to be considered, especially for the on disc release version of a game. For example all maps would have to be performance tested with 32 players in MP, which I don't think they would all pass without rebuilding quite substantially. Besides technical issues there is also the problem with the map layouts that are designed especially for each SP mission, which in most cases don't do well in MP modes. So rather then have maps that play a mode badly, it's better to leave it out.

EDIT: Added in the second quote for better overview as it switched forum page.

Hey Wolf i think thats where we the paying public and you the devs diagree, i think all maps all modes with a few bugs would of been better than what we got and from reading the posts its the content that has let this game down and how unuser friendl it is, i know you guys maybe done a little research but i could pick a few guys from this site that could of lead you guys the right way, the game may of then not appealed to most but the ones that played it would of spread the word of how good and how easy it was to use, thus making it and you guys more cash which at the end of the day is what its all about but it has to tick all the boxes. There is a whole gr community waiting to buy a game that resembles Gr, you guys are nearly there and with a lttle more trust within this community it could of been a lot better for us all. Content is the key, a mappack would be your best shot which included Co-op and TvT modes that mix, trust us this is the key, nice modding tools where you dont have to be a rocket scientist to use em and thats it work out the bugs then.

It is nice how you come in and kinda help but its to little, i mean look at the title thats just came out they are saying all the right things you cant fault them and then two small patches, it just shows they are doing something.

Its so easy it painfull.

Hey and if you go through a lot of the posts you will see that they all lead back to GR

I know im on a rant now but

273 user(s) active in the past 30 minutes to this site, i dont know how many come to this site but this is a Gr site the potential for custom is great, an expansion is the only way this game will work.

Edited by JJUK

For example all maps would have to be performance tested with 32 players in MP, which I don't think they would all pass without rebuilding quite substantially. Besides technical issues there is also the problem with the map layouts that are designed especially for each SP mission, which in most cases don't do well in MP modes. So rather then have maps that play a mode badly, it's better to leave it out.

All your maps play with substantially lower FPS on 32 man servers. There's a difference with 26 players that noticeable. That being said, the s/p converted maps play great with 24 players. We had full servers often and no lag or framerate issues. As for the map layouts, Vhladd removed a fence here, added something there to make them more m/p friendly. You guys should have sucked it up and done so. 8 maps got old after a month, the community was clamoring for more content. Then the console boys got the content. Sheesh! I appreciate your response but please be sure to tell those who made the decision that 8 m/p maps is BS. And less for those that play other gametypes such as RvsA.

You guys did so much right in AW2. But not putting the finishing touches on it guaranteed interest would wane quickly and significantly. At this stage it doesn't matter whose fault that is. No new content will guarantee that AW2 remains low on the radar. All we can hope for is that modders will make new maps, but then they're hampered by no auto d/l function. It's almost like you guys are sabotaging things on purpose.

Edited by ruggbutt

You play games like WOW dont ya?

Are you kidding. If I played MMO you would never see me around. I can't quit playing an RPG without finishing it and you can't finish an MMO. :lol:

I've been her longer then you, what do you think I play, among other things? TFPS, not as much as I did before but it still happens quite often.

FOR GODS SAKE DUDE,Why do you think Steam is going so strong still.

Because gamers are getting lazier and lazier and don't even want to go to the store to buy their games. They want to sit in front of their computer and get fat and brain damaged, preferably not having to eat sleep or shower. The good thing is that they never misplace their CD/DVD, as they need none.

Not that bad maybe, but it's the extreme example. I know, I have been having problem with food this weekend as the finance is away and I have to take time from gaming to cook. :)

EDIT:

CRAP, NOW WE ARE WAY OFF TOPIC!

NON confrontationally speaking, the auto downloader is a great idea as some clans don't have a website to post new maps. trying to run around and find who has what map is a rediculous thing.(sp?) GR.net is a big place but not all the maps I've seen in gamespy are in Rocky's DL section. and with that in mind can't enter a game server to ask where either. <_<

Edited by Papa6

I'm have my own opinions and they sometimes prove wrong

WRONG AGAIN. :o

What do you know? You're a newbie in this community. I've been here since 2001. :P

Get a room, you two!

In other news, I agree with the folks above that regardless of anything else, some manner of content autodownloader seems to have a big potential to positively affect online turnout. And let's face facts, here- GRAW2 online MP turnout is anemic by most accounts, and the game still has (purportedly) over 200,000 copies to sell yet. Not with THAT weak street cred...

For example all maps would have to be performance tested with 32 players in MP, which I don't think they would all pass without rebuilding quite substantially. Besides technical issues there is also the problem with the map layouts that are designed especially for each SP mission, which in most cases don't do well in MP modes. So rather then have maps that play a mode badly, it's better to leave it out.

All your maps play with substantially lower FPS on 32 man servers. There's a difference with 26 players that noticeable. That being said, the s/p converted maps play great with 24 players. We had full servers often and no lag or framerate issues. As for the map layouts, Vhladd removed a fence here, added something there to make them more m/p friendly. You guys should have sucked it up and done so. 8 maps got old after a month, the community was clamoring for more content. Then the console boys got the content. Sheesh! I appreciate your response but please be sure to tell those who made the decision that 8 m/p maps is BS. And less for those that play other gametypes such as RvsA.

You guys did so much right in AW2. But not putting the finishing touches on it guaranteed interest would wane quickly and significantly. At this stage it doesn't matter whose fault that is. No new content will guarantee that AW2 remains low on the radar. All we can hope for is that modders will make new maps, but then they're hampered by no auto d/l function. It's almost like you guys are sabotaging things on purpose.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would actually gladly pay for a map pack, but if it was going to be just online maps for MP and coop I would pay around $5 if it had around 10 maps or so and if over half of those would be coop as well.

If there could somehow be an expansion pack with a whole new campaign (hopefully in a different area of the world) I would gladly pay $20.

Many people see these forum from the beginning of [GR] but not signing in. One of them is Me.

i miss the new campaigns at [GR] .

was easier to made ,and were available for coop too .

That why why the community was stronger.

Many people like the s/p mode better.

play with 4 friends coop campaign was super .They wanted to know that there is a mission and a story,and wanted to finish it.

frostbite was the best of all in my opinion( new maps also)

Edited by Invisible

I would actually gladly pay for a map pack, but if it was going to be just online maps for MP and coop I would pay around $5 if it had around 10 maps or so and if over half of those would be coop as well.

If there could somehow be an expansion pack with a whole new campaign (hopefully in a different area of the world) I would gladly pay $20.

I think Grin did a really good job on this game as far as and upgrade in characters, weapons, explosions and graphics in general with Graw 2. I think peeps can tolerate this aspect of the game. It's pretty darn fun shooting these weapons and they sound great too. I feel they could have made this a mature rating but .....that didn't happen. My point being I think they just missed the boat on just keeping this a realistic tact sim obviously, people are disapointed. That also being said is that IMO they just missed, but not by much. If they only would have just stuck to [GR] essence of play, they would have hit there target. It is almost as if they dumbed it down a bit for the youngsters out there.....this type of game is not about that at ALL. Lots of peeps have stated they think this game was rushed and not done for the [GR] sequel, this seems to be true in many aspects, however i feel that Grin has the capbability to pull this game off the right way IMO. It just seems that the attention for this type of game is over looked for profits, or something, it needs to be mature gritty, heavy, a serious tact sim.

Thats the ticket WildBill.Mature and gritty,serious tact sim.If they would have made that game they would be looking at 3 million copies.Mature games are selling like hot cakes.Gamers do get older ,Ya know Grin.

Show a medic putting the guts back inside a man and holding it all in place with his web gear....Maybe to much huh.Some blood splat?Arm leg limp.Off topic sorry.

Yes I would pay 19.95 for a map pack.Regular price would be 29.99 of course.

I Would pay for an official GR:AW 2 map pack..

But I wanna see 10+ maps or more and it would be made for MP and Coop, the maps would come from The classic Ghost Recon and from GRAW1 and why not new maps we have not seen yet :thumbsup:

GRAW2 is a good game!

Edited by NoFears

I still have an un-opened GRAW1 sitting in my closet. I bought my copy for $5 from some kid going into Gamestop, and someone gave me a copy as a present. And I got two copies of it with new computer parts. So now I have a set of 4 coasters (should I open the untouched box) for my coffee table.

So now I have a set of 4 coasters (should I open the untouched box) for my coffee table.

That would depend on if your coffee table was worth anything? :unsure: GRAW has been known to ruin more that a few things. :( My copy of GRAW made my bookshelve fall in. Guess it couldn't handle all the extra weight from all that dust GRAW was collecting! :P

I still have an un-opened GRAW1 sitting in my closet. I bought my copy for $5 from some kid going into Gamestop, and someone gave me a copy as a present. And I got two copies of it with new computer parts. So now I have a set of 4 coasters (should I open the untouched box) for my coffee table.

Save the unopened one. Someday, when there is erected a video game museum or hall of fame, they'll need it for their 'FAILURE' displays.

Save the unopened one. Someday, when there is erected a video game museum or hall of fame, they'll need it for their 'FAILURE' displays.

If GRIN patches AW2 "correctly" then it won't make the failure list. Here's to hoping...........:D

to play on your words, wouldn't that make it less of a failure but, still a failure? :rofl: