GRAW 1&2 postmortem and future prospects

Just for the sake of repeating myself:

I truly believe the fundamental problem is that GRIN does not truly understand what a tac-sim is. Everything else is, IMHO, a question of tweaking and polishing.

Respectfully

krise madsen

They do know that ,but sales are higher if you release Quake clones instead of tactical sims.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the sake of repeating myself:

I truly believe the fundamental problem is that GRIN does not truly understand what a tac-sim is. Everything else is, IMHO, a question of tweaking and polishing.

Respectfully

krise madsen

They do know that ,but sales are higher if you release Quake clones instead of tactical sims.

I respectfully disagree. If they wanted an "action shooter" they could just have ported the 360 version. Nobody in their right mind would make an action shooter with such slow paced gameplay. I see it more as a failed attempt at a tac-sim. Not a bad game as such, mind you, just not a real tac-sim.

Respectfully

krise madsen

• 1 month later...

Some have insinuated that ghostrecon.net does not get the eye of the ones that can make a difference over at Ubi. I posted a long rant of what I'd like to see over in the next GR over at the ubi forums. Maybe some you guys should do the same. Who knows maybe someone who cares will read them and it may influence the direction of the next title. Or you will get carpel tunnel syndrome, and no one will give a ######. Either way...lets make our voices heard.

UBI Graw3....GR4 discussion

Some have insinuated that ghostrecon.net does not get the eye of the ones that can make a difference over at Ubi.

:rolleyes:

Uhu, that's why Ubi representatives mail me on a regular basis for input, and why we had the only functioning bug feedback forum for the GRAW2 dev team.

LOL, I just saw the thread I think you are referring to. Same old same old. A banned member struggling to get over his expulsion, what a shame.

Fear not Cell mate, you can make your opinions known here, it'll be heard. :thumbsup:

With all due respect to GRIN, I think they did not (past tense), but they do now. That's why they moved on :hehe:

That was a joke, no offence meant GRIN dudes!

Edited by Rocky

From my point of view both sites and all other sites that are GR related can provide input and feed back to any Developer and Distributer alike.

Ubisoft droped the ball on both games before they were created by Grin, simply by stating how the game`s direction would take, 4 man squad, hero Leader.

I just want to get back what we had not what we got as an update.

Some have insinuated that ghostrecon.net does not get the eye of the ones that can make a difference over at Ubi. I posted a long rant of what I'd like to see over in the next GR over at the ubi forums. Maybe some you guys should do the same. Who knows maybe someone who cares will read them and it may influence the direction of the next title. Or you will get carpel tunnel syndrome, and no one will give a ######. Either way...lets make our voices heard.

UBI Graw3....GR4 discussion

What a great post Cell. Unfortunately past experience (all bitter ones) say that UBI will go down the same route they did with Vegas...ignore us. Maybe even tell us to "be patient" before they release a joke of a patch. (Vegas again). But not before banning users from their forums (remember SODSniper?) for airing our grievances.

Personally I think it's another case of "we have our money, we've sold our games...screw them, we're working on another title to screw them over. muhahahaha". Please please please let me be wrong.

My opinion is that Grin tried to make a game that would appeal to both casual gamers and old GR tac players, and ended up with a game that satisfied neither.

I think the tac sim game market is dead, no one makes them because not enough people buy them. At least for the 360. GB could be the sole exception for the pc crowd.

As far as RSE is concerned, they ruined the MP in GRAW 2, I would have preferred Ubi do both.

Thank you. Someone has to keep an eye on you guys :grin2:

Trying to satisfy you is another matter, but we do hear you :thumbsup:

No problem, we know you listen and do what you can. Even though we don't always agree on the decisions you guys have made with GRAW we are appreciative of your efforts.

I personally am looking forward to Bionic Commando and what you guys do with. I'm particularly interested in what you do without such a closely related previous version. Hopefully it will give you some freedom compared to the shackles you had with GRAW. Good luck with it.

EDIT: Oh and happy Thanksgiving to everyone here and across the pond... Cheers!

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Anyone remember them putting a virtual gag order on GRIN not long ago, not to come to this site? Wouldn't surprise me to hear that being caught on GRnet cost a Ubishafter his/her job. After all, we're not their fans these days, are we?

That's not quite true. They might have been restricted from posting for a while during the build up to the release of a patch, but they were not banned from coming to the site, after all, this is where they drew much information from for issues and feedback. So far from costing anyone their job, it'd be more like they were not doing their job fully if they didn't come. :thumbsup:

And we are still fans of the series, even if we've suffered lately :rolleyes:

That's not quite true. They might have been restricted from posting for a while during the build up to the release of a patch, but they were not banned from coming to the site, after all, this is where they drew much information from for issues and feedback.

Ah! Got it. The details area bit fuzzy, and with the frustratingly slow connections over here I didn't have the time to go searching through the old posts to find that one and get my details straight. Thanks for clearing that up!

So far from costing anyone their job, it'd be more like they were not doing their job fully if they didn't come. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was stating that more as a hypothetical, wouldn't-it-just-be-very-Ubishaftlike-of-them kind of thing.

And we are still fans of the series, even if we've suffered lately :rolleyes:

Fair and true. Though I AM starting to feel kinda dumb being a fan of a 4-installment series, of which only 3 were for my chosen platform (I cheated and bought a used copy of GR2 for PS2, and didn't care for it enough to finish the first mission), and only ONE of which I still play to this day.

But I can still PWN any map on FireFight by myself with just an M4 SOCOM and some nades. [GR] 4 LYFE, playa!

Well, should Ubisoft dump the tac-sim genre or should they support it?
Boy, I don't know, Ubisoft was never in the Tac-Sim biz, you must be referring to Ubi Soft.

____

Probable Working title of Ubis' next FPS - The Maginot Line.

Brief - Not much in terms of gameplay, basically you just flank to avoid it. But by capitalizing on Ubis' extensive experience in linear channelling, the player will have plenty of time (between cutscenes) to enjoy those impressive and exclusive Ageia PhysX effects (PPU not included), as you drive by.

____

Ubi has left the mission area, a long time ago.

, but we do hear you :thumbsup:

To listen, and then do, makes it all worth while.

To listen, and do nothing, seems to be your style

:nono:

GRIN is here every day checking out the forums. They most likely are working on a patch and I can tell you they are discussing what is being said here. Whether or not the publisher does anything is a different story. Neither you nor I have been in the GRIN offices and knows what they are doing, so in essence, neither you nor I know what is really happening there in regards to GRAW1 or 2.

Neither you nor I have been in the GRIN offices and knows what they are doing, so in essence, neither you nor I know what is really happening there in regards to GRAW1 or 2.

Some of us can read minds. That being said, I think that purchase you were contemplating is a good idea WK. ;)