Graw 2 is a Great Game

look the point for those who missed it was not how many matches you got and how busy your lives are -

the point is, a central location where players can congregate for the purpose of organising matches without having to find their servers and jump in and ask, nor having to PM forums.

would it not be better to have a pregame chatroom, or some chatroom associated with the game for the purpose of finding matches quickly and easily.

i know it would - but for GRAW2 it would be too little too late.

its a suggestion for GRAW3 if its ever made.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that not what the XFIRE community is about, yet there are many that have not joined it. I know I get asked for matches/scrims when I have it up.

Or am I missing the point or does XFIRE not offer the same stuff this place you are mentioning does? I know it has Voice chat, it has text messaging etc ...

Is that not what the XFIRE community is about, yet there are many that have not joined it. I know I get asked for matches/scrims when I have it up.

Or am I missing the point or does XFIRE not offer the same stuff this place you are mentioning does? I know it has Voice chat, it has text messaging etc ...

:thumbsup:

TDM - the Quake and Unreal Tournament gang has taken over our tactical sim world.

Because Ubisoft has targeted the Halo/Quake/GOW crowd. Unfortunately they have done so while trying somewhat to keep as many of us as possible, so now GR is neither a tac sim nor total Halo/Quake clone, so instead of everyone being happy as Ubi hoped, noone is fully satisfied. It's too arcady for GR fans, yet just enough tactical elements linger so that the Halo crowd feels annoyed with it.

Edited by doubletap

i t hink all this talk about how to fix a game or how to get a community to make the game active is a clear sign that the game isn't gonna cut it.

Is there any example of a game that didn't totally cut it that but was supported so much by the community that they made it work? I doubt it.

If a game is great then it will attract people to it and a community will burgeon around it naturally.

GRAW 2 is a pretty good attempt to achieve what [GR] did but like most games it just falls short and therefore gets played untl the next game comes along. [GR] was a game that you kept on and on and on playing no matter what other game came along.

Still waiting for the spiritual sucessor to [GR] to come along. I liked but was dissapointed with 'Obsidian Edge' but i'm looking forward to the possibilities of OE2

If a game is great then it will attract people to it and a community will burgeon around it naturally.

GRAW 2 is a pretty good attempt to achieve what [GR] did but like most games it just falls short and therefore gets played untl the next game comes along

Play GRAW2 on Biro's Castle Day map and try to tell me that it doesn't play like [GR].

I think that the point he's trying to make is that [GR] had a sort of community aspect to it. In GRAW2, the chatting in-game is severly limited. There are no after-game chats. When was the last time you typed in "gg." Modding the game seems to be only for those with rocket-science degrees.

Castle_Day is an excellent mod and makes things feel like [GR], but there's still the basics like the after-game chat boxes and such. I think the guys over at Blackfoot said it best..."Build your game around a community, not your community around a game" or something like that:)

Poita said it best when he talked about a community naturally growing around a truly great game. Maybe that's not what the exec's want though. Who wants to make a game that people play forever, forgetting other, newer games?

GRAW 2 is a pretty good attempt to achieve what [GR] did but like most games it just falls short and therefore gets played untl the next game comes along

Play GRAW2 on Biro's Castle Day map and try to tell me that it doesn't play like [GR].

it doesn't. night vision clears up the fog and you can see across the map, which wasn't the case with the original. messes with the gameplay quite a bit.

Edited by th33f.

it doesn't. night vision clears up the fog and you can see across the map, which wasn't the case with the original. messes with the gameplay quite a bit.

Wrong. The environment on the night version isn't the same as the environment on Biro's original. Read my post again Stalin, play Castle Day and tell me it doesn't play like [GR]. If you have issues w/the night vision on that map then complain to Vhladd about the environment he used. Has nothing to do w/the night vision, it's about fog distances.

what Rugg said -

if you took oicw/gl or sa80 with hand frags onto this map - then it would feel EXACTLY the same as Ghost Recon...EXACTLY THE SAME. better in fact with the improved vegetation.

but last night i jumped into a TDM for a few fun games - and guess what - players asking how to JUMP. so if that's not a new crowd of non-Ghost Recon players taking over...I dunno what is.

its quite disturbing to jump in the server browser - do a filter on player numbers and see less then 100 players playing GRAW2 - I think that says it all about the success/failure of this game in its current state.

so CD is exactly like [GR] - but its failing heavily in other areas.

Actually, Biro's version of castle_day is SPOT ON in the nightvision. It doesn't cut clear through the fog and simply silhouettes the horizons.

The environments I added change it up a bit, but that's why they're all there, for whoever wants whichever. As to the play feel, it's total flashback to 2002 for me..... :ph34r:

Wrong. The environment on the night version isn't the same as the environment on Biro's original. Read my post again Stalin, play Castle Day and tell me it doesn't play like [GR]. If you have issues w/the night vision on that map then complain to Vhladd about the environment he used. Has nothing to do w/the night vision, it's about fog distances.

Rugg... let me shoot you in the foot and watch you walk away without a limp. Now tell me that's like GR1 LOL!

Seriously thought castle day is good. Rugg... did he modify it for 4 spawns?

But as stated we are missing the afteraction and before action chat. And the chat we have puts the key of whatever we press to enter team or all chat in 1st grr.

Leagues and scheduled matches are fun, but pickup ladders are fun too and if you don't have enough on you can decline them without a penalty.

Actually, Biro's version of castle_day is SPOT ON in the nightvision. It doesn't cut clear through the fog and simply silhouettes the horizons.

The environments I added change it up a bit, but that's why they're all there, for whoever wants whichever. As to the play feel, it's total flashback to 2002 for me..... :ph34r:

well, my post effects are turned off, so when i hit that nv key - i can see as far as the line of sight allows. everything becomes evenly foggy, but it's really light fog. i guess i'm using an unfair advantage, but i know others have shot me across the map as well. stock map environments do not behave like that with PE off, so something's gotta be tweaked i guess...

its quite disturbing to jump in the server browser - do a filter on player numbers and see less then 100 players playing GRAW2 - I think that says it all about the success/failure of this game in its current state.

so CD is exactly like [GR] - but its failing heavily in other areas.

There were over 400 playing earlier today...not bad for a game geared toward more tactical gameplay.

No, the problem with so few players is that there aren't very many servers running objective based maps, like RvA, HH, Siege, or the custom gametypes. The more people playing, the more servers up, the more variety for gametypes. TDM gets so boring pretty quick.

We matched the other night, SCE vs 30+ HH, no explosives, U/L respawns and it was a blast. GRAW2 is good for matching , but not as good as the old GR. TDM is intense and fun. I read this here and it makes no sence to me:

TDM is ok, but it is very cut and dry..... almost boring. I realized this the other night matching. Really, all you have to do is get one kill as a team and camp it out.

It was like this in the [GR]. Is your job to go find the other team and even things out. Tactics, communications and knowlage of the maps is were is at. A team can get the first kill, but that don't guarantee that they will win. The worst part of TDM is the weapon selection. I don't know why if the weapon selection is good in SP, why it SUCKS so much in TDM. People running and gunning with sniper rifles gets old too. I read a lot how GRIN work so hard on GRAW2. I have GRAW2 for 360, which came out months sooner than the PC version and after seen that all the maps, game modes and weapons are the same as the 360 Version, It make me wonder is the PC version is just a PORT of the 360 game. Maybe some refinements here and there, but not more than that. The title of this thread is not correct either. If this game was GREAT, many more people would be playing this game. GRAW 1, screw GRAW2. The after taste was to hard to forget. TCZ was great. We matched EVERY week day, some times twice a night. It was so addictive that some players on our team had to quit under the preassure of divorce,LOL.

Edited by [30+]Retlaw

100 players or 400 players - and the game is only 6 months old.

the topic is - GRAW2 is a great game.

and in my opinion if there are only 100 - 400 players in the servers after only 6 months then i think that says that in the eyes of the majority - GRAW2 is not a great game.

it is lacking.

hopefully the fact that GRAW2 was a considerable improvement of GRAW1, GRAW3 might take it to the next and 'perfect' level.

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd