THQ Ships CoH: Opposing Fronts

Pave Low

THQ Ships Company of Heroes™: Opposing Fronts™

Tuesday September 25, 5:30 am ET

Next Chapter in Top-Rated Real Time Strategy Franchise Storms Retail Outlets

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. THQ Inc. today announced Company of Heroes™: Opposing Fronts™, developed by award-winning Real-Time Strategy (RTS) developer Relic Entertainment, has shipped for the Windows PC platform.

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is the next installment in the highest-rated RTS franchises of all time, building on the success of the original Company of Heroes™ with two new armies and vastly enhanced multiplayer options. The game is now available at major retail outlets worldwide.

"A year ago, THQ shipped Company of Heroes and shattered all barriers for cinematic intensity in the RTS genre," said Kevin Kraff, director of global brand management, THQ. "Today, we are thrilled to release the next critically-acclaimed chapter in the Company of Heroes franchise and once again establish a new standard for excellence."

"Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts delivers Relic's best RTS gaming experience to date, weaving together the epic stories of the Battle for Caen and Operation Market Garden with countless advancements in soldier and vehicle AI, environmental strategy, and visual realism," said Tarrnie Williams, general manager, Relic Entertainment. "The addition of two new unique armies opens up many exciting possibilities within the Company of Heroes universe, and we are very proud to deliver the highest level of RTS gameplay to our fans worldwide."

I am sort of in two minds, because I still play CoH almost every day. It's £25 at play.com, if it's about the same at the shops tomorrow, I'll probably get it. Pity I have no holidays left to take though, I could have done with a couple of days >_<

SEVENTEEN QUID DELIVERED?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered from play at dinner time, they are always the (usually) the cheapest. Now I just wasted about £7 :wall::wall::wall:

EDIT.

Play order was cancelled with the click of a button, created an account at Asda Entertainment, ordered game, £17.94, now that's what I call a result!

Great find Pave, thanks!

Edited by Rocky

Mine came too, got it installed now.

I am really missing some basic info here, as I cannot use any of my commander point things, the special icons. I select them, but they do not appear on the screen as an option.

If you're playing as the Britsh then you must build some sort of artillary like an howitzer or a Priest to be able to use any new artillary attacks, like creeping barrage or overwatch which you buy with command points. It would be unbalanced otherwise, but when you get an artillary piece up you can use all these attacks for free, if i remember correctly.

Soz I did not explain myself properly. Once I buy creeping barrage with command points, the creeping barrage icon does not appear, none of them do.

Yes, and they are not supposed to show up like regular command things. You must build an artillary piece like an howitzer to be able to use creeping barrage. You click on the howitzer and then click on the creeping barrage ability in the unit manager. You buy special abilities for your artillary :)

Off-map reinforcements and Priests should appear in the HUD like regular command things, though. Do they show up or are they gone too?

Edited by Hockeystick

Soz I did not explain myself properly. Once I buy creeping barrage with command points, the creeping barrage icon does not appear, none of them do.

Yes, and they are not supposed to show up like regular command things. You must build an artillary piece like an howitzer to be able to use creeping barrage. You click on the howitzer and then click on the creeping barrage ability in the unit manager. You buy special abilities for your artillary :)

Off-map reinforcements and Priests should appear in the HUD like regular command things, though. Do they show up or are they gone too?

Ah right, I need to play somemore and investigate! I am pretty sure I bought almost all the command extras and none showed up at all during my last skirmish.

I loved CoH, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions about it before I actually buy it.

I know Opposing Fronts is a standalone expansion like DoW: Dark Crusade, but does it have any extra things added to it if you've got the original game? I remember if you had the original DoW, you would be able to use all seven races in the SP Dark Crusade campaign and multiplayer.

I was reading the IGN review and it said there were two new campaigns for both the British and Panzer Elite (if I remember right). How long are these campaigns?

Since I bought WiC Collectors Edition a couple of weeks ago, I just wanted to see if it was worth paying full price now or if I should wait for a price drop. This is especially important since I'm saving up for the HL2: Orange Box which is supposed to be out within 2 weeks.

I know Opposing Fronts is a standalone expansion like DoW: Dark Crusade, but does it have any extra things added to it if you've got the original game? I remember if you had the original DoW, you would be able to use all seven races in the SP Dark Crusade campaign and multiplayer.

I was reading the IGN review and it said there were two new campaigns for both the British and Panzer Elite (if I remember right). How long are these campaigns?

When you install OF, CoH as you know it will be gone, removed. You'll have a brand new interface, but all the old maps and armies will still be available in addition to the new Panzer Elite and British armies, and new maps.

There are no new multiplayer modes, as promised on the back of the box though :o

I don't know how long the 2 campaigns are, but they look like they are of similar size to the original.

Wow, that's interesting. But I will still be able to play the original campaign, right?

Also, what does the xfire look like since it takes the place of CoH (and it's essentially one game)? Does it stay as the original CoH label, or does it change to the OF label?

I'm not sure about Xfire yet, I'll let you know.

If you update your CoH with the latest patch, you'll see wxactly how it looks with OF installed - which is with all 3 campaigns available from the main menu. The 2 new ones will be locked without OF installed though.

@ GrimeyAK, That's correct, although DC is a standalone expansion, you will only be able to play as the Tau Empire or Necrons in multiplayer if you do not have the original Dawn of War and the WA expansion, which would 'unlock' the rest of the races for multiplayer.

And the best bit is.... Dawn of War: Soulstorm, the new expansion is due next year. That includes two further races - Dark Eldar for definite and there's alot of speculation as to the the other new race. There was hints throughout DoW & it's expansion(s) in some map descriptions about the Tyranids possibly being added as a new race in the not so distant future, but there is evidence, in an interview with one of the devs(?) that the second new race could be Witch Hunters, more specifically, Ordo Sororitas (Sisters of Battle).

Sorry for the OT, I'm so excited about the news of the new DoW expansion that I couldn't help the OT.

Edited by WytchDokta

Maybe I'll go out and grab it today when I finish with my work.

I've got some more questions though. I was reading that it requires an internet connection and an online account to play even singleplayer unless you have the DVD in the tray. Is this true?

If so, that sucks because it's pretty much like having a disc in the tray either way. If I do have internet, I have to login to play without the disc. If my internet goes down (which I hope never happens for the sake of my schoolwork) I have to use the disc. I'll probably end up using virtual drives anyway because of the amount of games I've got, but I think it's crazy to have to use it on a game which didn't have disc check in the first place...er, sorry for the rant.

Edit: I also forgot: if I do install OF, will I still have to patch the game or will it already be at the correct version?

Edited by GrimeyAK

Yes there is a bit of a hooha about the online thing. You do need to login just to play the campaign. Someone posted a workaround in the reliconline forums, but it got deleted.

Patch CoH with the latest (1gig) patch. Install OF. Start it up, it will install a small update. Good to go.

they're like buses, nothing for months then 3 out on same day ^_^

Same day OF was delivered, also got ArmA: Queens Gambit ....and errrm.... :blush: ET:QW (yeah it is run and gun (and hop) but it's just so damn addictive and fun,+ some great dialog.. for the Makron... kill the human food... Strog, Strog... Thwarted!!

:hmm: wonder if work would mind me taking next week off due to pressing gamage requirements :P

Man, I'm so bored right now. I spent most of the day studying calculus yesterday and all I want to do right now is just relax. I wanted to go grab OF today, but my cousin is on campus with the car doing work in one of the computer labs and my friends are doing other things as well. Oh well, sometime later I guess.

Edit: Well this sucks. After I updated my original CoH I wanted to start it up to see the changes and it prompted me for a Relic account. "Okay," I thought and I went to create one, but then it asked for my CD key. That really sucks because my copy of CoH is at home, and that's 3 hours away. I guess I won't be playing CoH until I can get my copy from home, which seems like it won't be at least for another 2 weeks...

Edit2: I managed to get my key from my sister, but now the problem is the disc. I'll have to find a way to get that.

Edited by GrimeyAK