Remake of Castle Day

Biro

Just tried trr Castle Day.

I have to say that the fog is a bit too heavy. It seems more restrictive of sight than it was even in GR1. I think that being visually hemmed in so much basically brings everything down to a CS style fire fight. I know that some people hate snipers and want to neutralise anything like that but long range weapons are in the game so using them are part of the game. I'd like to see another 20 or 30 meters added to the view distance in the map.

As for the re creatin of Castle Day. It's amazing. Really very beautiful. A little ironically my system has to play the game on medium settings so the textures on the Castle wall are worse than in [GR] ha ha ha. I bet if i had a better system then i'd be even more blown away by the beauty of the map. Can someone please get a super high res video of the map online?

Biro, you should change your name to 'Fountain Pen' mate cause your work exudes quality. Thank's for a new taste of [GR] and thank's Lighty for for your hard work on trr'age.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol i just realised ive only been playing on medius settings

and ive got the best card on the market

ill turn it up today.

i think the fog is close to perfect myself, and the maps itself is defintiely better then the original purely bcoz the foliage (plants) and trees and bushes are perfect.

outstanding biro.

After playing it a few times I just wanna say nice fricken job Biro. The fog is fine with me. I got sniped plenty of times when playing it. HH is probably the funnest for me. It requires you to suppress the enemy before even thinking about running into the zone. And then once you get some points in the zone it's a matter of protecting it and not necessarily staying in the zone the whole game. Great job Biro, can't wait for Squirrel Creek.

I guess i was just never that big on fog in [GR].

I do wish there was a way to wander around the maps in order to take a look at them though. Most of the time i cant get into a Castle Day map and if i host one my self or join one that has no one in it then it's 'instant victory' when you start. Isn't there any way to go in as a spectator and just have a look around?

Biro!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great job. I took some hi-res ss's the other day, I will get them up when I get home tonight. It looks amazing. Now all we need is 4 RIZ's and we are rocking. If the modders can only get a hold of the rest of the original 3ds models of the GR1 maps. Oh man. Again, great job, GRAW2 needs more of this.....maps maps maps maps!!!!

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

Biro!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great job. I took some hi-res ss's the other day, I will get them up when I get home tonight. It looks amazing. Now all we need is 4 RIZ's and we are rocking. If the modders can only get a hold of the rest of the original 3ds models of the GR1 maps. Oh man. Again, great job, GRAW2 needs more of this.....maps maps maps maps!!!!

I concur......anyone playing the trr mod for the castle day map, we have it on our server.... just trying to get some peeps interested. :whistle:

Finally had some time to test this map and it simply is amazing.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere and gave me a flashback to GR1 days.

Biro, good choice on the environment and deciding to go for lightmapping the trees, rather then dynamically. :thumbsup:

Even though I know this map like the back of my pocket, it still has this excitement and suspense I find lacking in GRAW's original (linear) maps.

Top notch Biro, really good job! :yes:

One small bug. When you look at the fog.. you can see the guys crosscom when you have a scoped weapon. You can use this to kill peeps that can't see you.

Other then that... awesome!

Ye I know about this bug and the nightvision one, both related to fog. Have no idea how to fix this atm, but I'll look into it on my next creation. I have a slight feeling it's impossible to do anything with it, without touching the engine itself, time will tell.

Well mp coop of this awesome map is out check this thread for info and download link:

Coop "Castle day" info and download link

Will there be a Campaign Coop released also?

Yes, I am working on it but the 2 issues that I can't solves right now it that:

1.You cannot give the order 'move' to your team but they will obey 'Fallow'.It does that with all customs campaign maps.

2."mission_caltle_day' cannot co-exist with 'coop_castle_day' and that is not only for this map but I have tried with another 'custom' map that Dirtbag did and it cannot co-exist either.We have a mojor problem here with 'custom maps' that cannot co-exist.

Other than that 'mission_castle_day' is working fine and it will closed 'Operation Storm' campaign.And until someone find a solution to the "co-exitence' prob my future GRAW2 maps will be done with maps that are include in game.

How did Vlahd do it with the mayhem map? His requires that the original be installed. I haven't dissected it but it but maybe his version gets around the conflict by utilizing the assets from the original and just using xmls like other maps that use stock assets. Just curious. I'll have a look and see what Vlahd did to accomplish his co-existance of the castle maps.

I think you might be able to do the same. The only thing I think might be necessary is to make sure yours is loaded after the castle day map so that the assets are already in memory.

Well mp coop of this awesome map is out check this thread for info and download link:

Coop "Castle day" info and download link

Will there be a Campaign Coop released also?

Yes, I am working on it but the 2 issues that I can't solves right now it that:

1.You cannot give the order 'move' to your team but they will obey 'Fallow'.It does that with all customs campaign maps.

2."mission_caltle_day' cannot co-exist with 'coop_castle_day' and that is not only for this map but I have tried with another 'custom' map that Dirtbag did and it cannot co-exist either.We have a mojor problem here with 'custom maps' that cannot co-exist.

Other than that 'mission_castle_day' is working fine and it will closed 'Operation Storm' campaign.And until someone find a solution to the "co-exitence' prob my future GRAW2 maps will be done with maps that are include in game.

The co co-existance is not a problem for some of us as a lot of us only play campaign style games. I guess some play only 12 man co ops. I hope this does not divide the mapping community any more than it has. Till more campaign co op maps are released our team has gone back to GRAW I and GR I because there aren,t enough to keep us interrested.

Rpghard,

In regards to the conlict with castle_day and coop_castle_day...

I was messing around to see what would happen if you removed the duplicated textures and whatnot. I deleted all the folders below the data folder except "levels" and it seemed to work fine. No errors on loading, and for around 10 minutes it ran fine.

Then I loaded up the tdm version of the castle day map (pulled from BSR's mappack) and had an interesting thing happen. Tangos on TDM. LOL it was rather funny actually. Could be an interesting Adversarial gametype with alot more things to kill and watch out for. A 3rd army you have to be aware of. Unfortunately, I bet the Mex side of the TDM probably look exactly like the tangos in the coop map however.

Anyway, this simple and quick test makes me believe that it would be possible (without alot of work hopefully) to remove the conflict with the castle_day map just like the mayhem map did by removing the repeated textures and objects and probably a few other modifications. It would probably be a good thing for your and for Lightspeed to do this to eliminate the conflict.

The only downside (if you can call it a downside) is that castle_day MUST be loaded by the client for it to function. This could also become an issue for some when the next patch arrives with the autodownload enabled. As that it would require - that you have either castle day loaded or join the server before the coop map loads to get the normal castle_day bundle. This could be a problem if you split it up and a server only has a coop rotation. So it's a catch 22 for some players.

• 2 weeks later...