Remake of Castle Day

Biro

(I split this tread out from the Squirrels Creek thread now as this project isn't related to that one at all.)

I'm pretty happy to announce that I now consider the map complete! :P It's been some hours with work during the last week(s) but the result is atleast something I can live with. I think I succeeded in creating what I wanted, a worthy remake of good ol' castle day with a realistic forest surrounding the castle itself. Environment sounds has been added, birds are singing, and the trees are whistling in the wind, just like we loved from old Ghost Recon. I think there's also some crows who's moved into a couple of the castle towers, but you can search for those yourself pretty soon.

A bit technical info about the map; it's pretty dense forest some places in and outside of the castle and I have done this a bit different then the Grin/RSE maps. Trees has been static lightmapped, so they will cast shadows the whole time, not depending on the range and your graphic settings. There's two types of grass used in the map. One long and one short. The short is the "normal" one that disappears when you move away from it, or dynamic grass as somebody probably also is calling it. This type of grass doesn't affect gameplay as it's short and it can also be turned off by adjusting the environment slider in-game. The other type is the long grass, made for players to hide in. This is static and can't be controlled by any ingame setting. This is imo the way GRIN should have done it aswell. Lesson learned I guess.

As I said, the castle is surrounded by pretty dense forest, this is demanding on most computers but this has been solved with occluders in the castle walls. Occluders is just a box or a plane, which hide every object behind the normal that's facing the player. This speeds up the map alot and it runs better then most of the GRIN maps. Further I managed to get some breakable windows working, with pretty nice reflections from the cubemap. The command-map is back with the the more or less known supergrids many of us used in old GR. Should be alot easier to pinpoint opposing players now.

There's more to discover and it's coming soon. If the bundling goes smooth, the map will be released on friday night so follow this thread close when the we're closing in on the weekend. In the meantime enjoy the last ingame teasershots:

(click for big)

minimpcastle01.jpg

minimpcastle02.jpg

minimpcastle03.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all giddy inside.. excelent news Brio. I hope for three things now..

1 and most important) I hope you make more maps.. I am sure everyone would be willng to put forth a few bucks to support your cause.

2) I hope other modders get motivated by your work, as you share your secrets and tips with them.

3) I hope GRIN gets modivated by this try to top your maps with more maps of thier own. Unless thay are not up to the challenge ;)

Once again, even thought i have not seen the map.. thanks for your hard work and dedication to the GRAW 2 community!!

I am all giddy inside.. excelent news Brio. I hope for three things now..

1 and most important) I hope you make more maps.. I am sure everyone would be willng to put forth a few bucks to support your cause.

2) I hope other modders get motivated by your work, as you share your secrets and tips with them.

3) I hope GRIN gets modivated by this try to top your maps with more maps of thier own. Unless thay are not up to the challenge ;)

Once again, even thought i have not seen the map.. thanks for your hard work and dedication to the GRAW 2 community!!

I will second that...

Bundling went smooth so the map is inbound on friday if nothing special shows up. Need to adjust some few bugs I have discovered but this should be done pretty fast.

@Rpghard, map will only include the following gamemodes on release: team deathmatch, deathmatch, hamburger hill and siege. I don't have the time to dive into mission modding aswell so this will be up to others.

@IrishStout, im not interested in money for modding. I do it cause I think it's pretty fun to do and probably cause I don't have anything better to do aswell! :blink:

I will finish up Squirrels Creek map aswell, but I doubt I will make any more GRAW2 maps after that. The interest for the game is low as it is and it ain't gonna grow as time goes by. When games like Call of Duty 4 is coming aswell I don't think this game gonna last, but that's another discussion.

Awesome will it be an [GR] version?If not I humbly propose myself to do one on it ;).

Go for it bro.

Biro Its a wonderfull feeling seeing this map in such a modern game.

Thank You for all the hard work.

Im sure it will be a major talking point amongst members and revitalise the game as well.

CASTLE DAY IS DONE!

A PM has been sent to Rocky with the dl link so he can host it up here as I don't have the bandwith to do so. Hopefully he will post up the link here when he got it all ready.

The .zip file ended up on 43 megabytes and this should be possible for most people to download nowadays. Unzip the castle_day.bundle file to your custom_levels folder in your GRAW2 directory.

The map contains the following gamemodes on release:

Deathmatch

Team-Deathmatch

Hamburger Hill

Siege

The map has been tested and debugged on LAN, so I hope everything turns out good on the net aswell.

If you just wanna take a look around the map, just create a LAN server with tdm_castle_day as the map and set max players to 1. This way you can run around and look at it.

I really recommend playing this map with environment details set to 100% as it add alot of the feeling to the map. It shouldn't affect gameplay too much if you have a decent computer.

Please report bugs here or in PMs to me. Comments and feelings about the map is offcourse welcome aswell.

I wish you all a good gaming weekend, on the castle... :thumbsup:

Biro