Damaged Pins on Processors

Militiaman

I have read about the pins being very easy to bend on central processing units that are set up in Pin Grid Array.

Are Land Grid Array (pins on the motherboard) a better design than Pin Grid Array? Are the pins in Land Grid Array less fragile than in Pin Grid Array?

Are Land Grid Array (pins on the motherboard) a better design than Pin Grid Array? Are the pins in Land Grid Array less fragile than in Pin Grid Array?

I think the whole LGA thing was a ploy by Intel so if the user bent the pins, the mobo manufacturer had to deal with it, not Intel LOL

I have installed and reinstalled LGA CPUs with no probs - you just have to be careful.

What I really dislike is the new anchoring system with the push down locking mechanism for the heatsinks. I find some people don't make sure the anchor locks properly under the mobo. Also, it's impossible to tell if your mobo is already installed in the case before you put in the cpu, so I would always recommend you install the CPU on the mobo before you put the mobo in the case so you can check if the heatsink is properly anchored.

@Roco - you prob have the most experience with this as a system builder - curious about your thoughts on the anchoring system - any tips?

We deal with asus mainly. It has a metal anchor and firmly locks in using a lever to clamp it down. It comes with a plastic cover for the socket that you MUST not lose as you can't return the mainboard without it (manufacture says it's to make sure the pins don't get bent when sent back)

I haven't bent one yet... but the old socket 478 pin style i have... just takes dropping it when unpacking it. Then you spend the next hour with a razorblade trying to make them straight. All in all i think the design works better.

Does anyway remember when intel was going to ship a ball and cup socket instead of pins? was talked about for a while but it seems to have never come.

What I really dislike is the new anchoring system with the push down locking mechanism for the heatsinks.

When I had to send back a bad motherboard for warranty recently they asked that I remove the heatsink from the processor. There aren't screws holding on my processor fan on like my old ASUS motherbaord, there are clips. I managed to get the fan off but I couldn't figure out how to get the anchor for the heatsink off. Ended up leaving the heatsink on when I shipped the motherboard back. I also don't like the design of my motherboard and heatsink.

Edited by Militiaman

Does anyway remember when intel was going to ship a ball and cup socket instead of pins? was talked about for a while but it seems to have never come.

Hmm ... haven't heard this one. I googled around and didn't come up with anything solid. I just remember the reports about DDR2 memory going ball-grid array

The new LGA CPUs almost look like little "cups" - would make sense to make the pins like balls to prevent bending. Wonder why it's not done??

Here's a good reference for those that don't know what i mean... looks like the pins were spring loaded... didn't know that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_T

Although i wouldn't suggest pushing on them.

Odd i can't find a reference to ball and cup either. Before socket 775 we were told (or i read somewhere) that the new design would be a ball and cup. I'm wondering if what ever article i found at that time only saw the processor and not the pinned mainboard.

I really hate the PCI-E Latches.... or maybe the big fans on cards.... the cards that take up two slots are almost impossible to get under it with your fingers.

and ASUS gets a big booo here for putting CMOS jumper right under the dang Latch!

ended up snapping off my PCI-E 2 slots latch because of that by accident.