Minimap

BSR_Vhladd

Ok, with the editor loaded with my map, I press "O" to generate the minimap. It generates and all appears well. I fire up the game, and the location on the minimap & overview are nowhere near my icon's location. Also, the minimap contains a vast amount of area not in the playable regions. What do I need to do?

Edited by BSR_Vhladd

Ok, so here's the problem as I've found it.

In the world.xml, I've set the minimap markers (4 of them indicating the extremes of x & y, max & min). I generate the minimap, and then make sure that the entries in the world_info.xml are identical. But, in game it seems that the icon is off by about 500 to the x-max side.

Am I missing anything?

Theres a few things you should note:

1) When placing mini map markers, make sure their high enough and pointing at the boundary correctly

2) Have you placed your north compass correctly. That doesn't mean pointing it to the north, It should be located in the mid-east positon, and point from west to east. e.g. diagram

(Any problems try opening a map with markers already created and use them as reference e.g. calavera)

Theres a couple of other issues you need to address and I'll post them when I finnish work.

Edited by Brok21k

Here's the deal:

Here is the portion of your world_info.xml that pertains to your minimap:

<border name="minimap" min_x="-20904.379" min_y="-12675.731" max_x="25768.049" max_y="13571.659"/>

<world_info path="aas_settings.xml" type="aas">

<texture name="loading" texture="data/textures/atlas_gui/mission_gfx/load_mp_hh" uv_rect="0,0,2048,1080" width="2048" height="2048"/>

<texture name="minimap" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/aas_test/minimap" uv_rect="0,0,1024,576" width="1024" height="1024"/>

</world_info>

Here is the line that is causing your problems:

<texture name="minimap" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/aas_test/minimap" uv_rect="0,0,1024,576" width="1024" height="1024"/>

When you generate your minimap in the editor, these values are created in the generic world_info.xml that the editor creates. I am assuming that you guys edit this "generic" world_info.xml to suit your map. Make sure you use the values that are generated by the editor in your modified, or custom, world_info.xml.

Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

Cangaroo.TNT,

Simply genius I tell you! :) Go figure, but I had taken out the "texture name minimap" entry, as I had it in each of the game type subs in the world_info.xml, and it wouldn't generate for me. Once I put that line back in, bingo!

Thanks -

Vhladd

Edited by BSR_Vhladd

2) Have you placed your north compass correctly. That doesn't mean pointing it to the north, It should be located in the mid-east positon, and point from East to West. e.g. diagram

a couple of issues with this -

1. youre saying place the north_compass in the east pointing from east to west -

but you're diagram shows the compass in the west pointing from west to east.

2. the tutorials say to put the compass outside the map - not in it otherwise as you run past the middle of the map - i would imagine the hud compass arrow would flip arond saying that north is now below u. understand?

anyways - i still cant get this to work - the tutorial says we need to do a fair bit of editing - copy n paste the marker coordinates and find the highest and lowest values. etc etc.

quick quesitn to - if i do the minimap generating on a night map - will the minimap look dark?

2) Have you placed your north compass correctly. That doesn't mean pointing it to the north, It should be located in the mid-east positon, and point from East to West. e.g. diagram

but you're diagram shows the compass in the west pointing from west to east.

Sorry Ive updated it.

2. the tutorials say to put the compass outside the map - not in it otherwise as you run past the middle of the map - i would imagine the hud compass arrow would flip arond saying that north is now below u. understand?

I didnt bother reading the tutorial, I just opened up the MP maps. Took note on how the compass was placed and using that format seems to work for me on all 3 different maps i created.

im stuffed cangaroo - i have got the minimap created and coloured nicely.

i have put the markers around the map and specified the extremes for x and y

the uv bit is throwing me.

at present - the place i am running looks to be about 10 - 15 to the right of where i am. for example, im running to the road - but on map - the road is still off to the left by about 15 meters.

i just dont understand how to line it up.

.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<world_info name="ranch" mission_time="night">

<world path="xml/world.xml">

</world>

<mission_script path="mission.xml">

</mission_script>

<environments path="environments.xml"/>

<massunits path="massunit.bin"/>

<sound>

<soundbank name="ambience_park_night" type="ambient"/>

<soundbank name="avr_fort_sound"/>

<soundbank name="music_act01_sound"/>

</sound>

<texture_scope path="texture_scope.xml"/>

<texture name="minimap" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/ranch/minimap" uv_rect="0,0,1024,1024" width="1024" height="1024"/>

<border name="minimap" min_x="-17201.379" min_y="-12303.748" max_x="8132.6699" max_y="19936.719"/>

<world_info path="/data/levels/common/trr_settings.xml" type="trr">

<texture name="loading" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/ranch/load_trr" uv_rect="0,0,2048,1080" width="2048" height="2048"/>

</world_info>

<world_info path="/data/levels/common/rtdm_settings.xml" type="rtdm">

<texture name="loading" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/ranch/load_trr" uv_rect="0,0,2048,1080" width="2048" height="2048"/>

</world_info>

</world_info>

PoW_LigHtsPeEd,

After you have placed your minimap markers in the world.xml, do you hit the "ctrl+s" (to save) and generate the minimap (hit the letter O) also? I have done this, and found that regardless where my minimiap markers are, it does generate an image that is 1024 x 1024, BUT..........in the world_info.xml it will generate the cropped size of the 1024x1024 it will use. For example you'll find the line stating this as:

<texture name="minimap" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/dam/minimap" uv_rect="0,0,612,1024" width="1024" height="1024" rotation=""/>

This is from one of my generated maps. You'll see that the 612 is the pixels actually used for the y axis of the minimap, even though the entire minimap generated image is 1024x1024.

When you "ctrl+s" (save), what is the line in your world_info.xml looking like compared to the example above?

Edited by BSR_Vhladd

got the lil biatch to work - i redid the minimap markers (only 4 required) and placed north outside the boundary.

if u look at cavalera - even the nth compass is outside the line of the minimpa markers - draw a line from one to the other and you will see it is on the outside of them.

once i had the map rdy this is what i did -

i alt-tabbed out and went into the world_xml and dragged the world_info.xml to the desktop (you might think it would crash the map but it duznt).

then i pressed 'o' to generate minimap - and then ctrl +s which saves, but more importantly GENERATES A NEW WORLD_INFO.XML as Cangaroo pointed out would happen.

interestingly too - the first world_info.xml which had all the info about gametypes and loadscreens is clearly saved in memory because when i run the new save - the new world_info.xml has all the original information about trrs, load screens, etc etc but WITH THE NEW X AND Y VALUES AND THE NEW UV_RECT VALUES AUTOGENERATED!!!!

how easy is that?

thanks for the advice guys - and as any modder knows - persistence does pay off.