BSR Custom Maps Server

We're running a mix of stock maps and Vhladd's custom maps. We've also pulled a couple stock ones from rotation and replaced them w/the stuff V has been working. Calavera Night is a fave of mine, as is Dam Dusk. Stop by the server and play a few round, no respawns of course. As of 9/03/07 we're running this custom map pack. Unzip and install into your custom_levels folder. Hopefully GRIN will get map downloading working so joining a server will be easy and seamless to participate in.

Lagoon Fog Dusk was a good one, but I didn't care for the Dam map. It was too straight forward with very little area to move about unless you can get into the bunker area, and even then it wasn't much. Not Vhladds fault though, the map just wasn't designed with MP in mind.

Played the maps last night, must say I am very impressed with Vhladd's efforts.

Some of the fog effects make the game pretty intense.

Seeing Fort during the day enlightened us all.

I like shooting Ruggbutt in the head.

I advise everybody to DL this map pack, feeling like a n00b on the new maps is good times, having new content to play is even better times...

The modified environments brings some new elements to the maps. Fort was an awakening during the day. I don't much like the fog as it really messes with the lighting of objects. I Would get some psychadelic colors in the backgrounds. Unless there is some way of turning the fog down or up.

I think we all like shooting Rugg in the head ;).

But just so everybody knows it's a worthwhile download as it adds some flavor to the existing maps.

Just a quick bump: I've updated our "map pack" to include all of V's maps. This way we can mess around w/the maps in rotation. The new ones Vhladd is working on aren't in the pack though, as they're still heavily beta.

Special thanks to testers =RAV= Phootsoldier, Tex and Fish for finding the holes in the Juarez map. V's already got them fixed. :)

Just a quick bump. Vhladd has some neat stuff in the making. New maps, mayhem game type and other stuff I'm sworn to secrecy on. Be advised though that when we release everything will be complete and professional looking. ;) I've been spending quite a bit of time in Photoshop trying to make this thing look like it came right from GRIN. Here's a shot of the Dam command map. I've tweaked the water color since this screen was taken, but you get the idea.

dam_minimap.jpg

I've uploaded Vhladd's final Mayhem (random insert) packs to our website. There are Mayhem Versions of the stock maps in different environments (Day, Dusk, Night, Fog) as well as Juarez, Dam, Sierra, Hacienda and Quarry. Also included in this pack are Biro's excellent Castle Day map (yes, we're running castle_night). There is also a Mayhem Version of Castle Day with modified environments. We played the heck out of these with AOD last night and had a blast. It was reminiscent of our ladder matching days. One drop each map, random inserts.

All the info you need about our Ventrilo or Dedicated Server is here. Hope to see some of you on the Custom Maps server.

night_castle01.jpg

night_castle02.jpg

castle_minimap_sm.jpg

Edited by ruggbutt

Thx for the support guys. I really can't take any credit on the Castle map as Biro obviously did all the work, and I must say it is breathtaking! I merely added a couple of spawn points, made the initial game spawn random, and made the map availabe in 4 other flavors of environments.

It's been a huge undertaking as I haven't ever coded before about 4 weeks ago and was determined to have a game type we at BSR have been looking for. I think we have success.

A lot of work has gone into these from quite a collective of people. Obviously me, Ruggbutt, and my clan mates, but also all of you for your playing the maps and making comments/suggestions along the way. I should also mention all the help I've received here in the forums answering my inane questions.

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy them, but mostly that we can somehow kick GRAW 2 into overdrive and get more peeps playing. This is our offering towards that goal.

BSR Vhladd

So for Rugg or anyone that designed this, may be a stupid question...if I put this mod in and have the TRR one in as well am i lookin at trouble with crashing ect? Havent tried both yet,Thought i'd ask first.Or are the versions of castle the same ect...reading the other posts its just a bit confusing. Thanks

If you put the 4 bundles in from Vhladd's Mayhem pack, you won't crash. They're only maps, not a mod. Vhladd has worked out a way for the MHM gametype to not conflict w/Biro's excellent Castle map.

I won't comment on the TRR pack. Check the forums here to see if anyone else is having issues.

Cool,thx Rugg, we tried to run a few of the trr maps the other night and kept getting "out of sync" and freeze ups. took it off and not an issue since. May be related or not. what the hell do I know lol. i'll try those bundles tonight with the guys.

We had 'em too, so I removed them from both of our servers. I'd like to see those issues fixed, there's plenty of room in this community for a mod and a map pack. Cya on tonite, you'll love the old school GR feel.

ArChRiVaL,

There shouldn't be any problems running these maps along with the TRR's. We would have had to use the same naming convention for the maps, and I doubt if we did that. That's why you'll see the "m" after the environment type in the maps in my bundles. That "m' makes them unique from every other pack out there.

One note to remember, for my mayhem_castle to run correctly, IT IS important that you also have Biro's castle_day installed in your custom_levels folder. By doing this, the textures neccessary are already in Biro's bundle and I don't need them in mine - matter of fact, had i put those textures, objects, or units folders in THEN there would have been a compatibility problem.