XP Pro 32-bit vs Vista Ultimate 64-bit

CR6

With pretty much all new computers in the last year having 64-bit processors and Windows XP being harder and harder to find as retailers sell systems almost exclusively with Vista these days, gamers are facing the biggest transition since the days of migrating from Windows 98SE.

The good folks at SimHQ have responded to this by posting an excellent article where they pit Windows XP Pro 32-bit head-to-head with Vista Ultimate 64-bit using some of the most popular military/sim games as benchmarks. Interestingly, the GR:AW 2 benchmarks are a bit of an anomaly as Vista doesn't fall behind as much as in most other games.

http://simhq.com/_technology2/technology_110a.html

It is tricky at the moment because of how older games and vista drivers work together.

It is kind of like running an emulator on a mac and saying it is worse. The code is just conflicting and unoptimized for the OS

Crysis will be a good one to find performance differences on since crytek, nvidia, intel, and microsoft are all working on it together for vista.

which I highly doubt will run better on XP machines.

Just a note I have been using 163.11 beta drivers... Which from the naked eye seems to have near matched XP peformance on most applications.

Edited by pz3

The new 64 bit systems will be better eventually. But (from what I understand) to have a 64 bit software equal in speed to a 32 bit system means you need the latest computer technology to run it and right now hardware technology (processors, motherboards, etcetra) isn't fast enough for anyone to get the full benefit of 64 bit software.

It won't be a few more years until I want more than 3.4 gigabytes of of random access memory especially since Double Data Rate 3 (DDR3) memory has been introduced. With DDR3 memory having speeds of 1333 megahertz, why would one need more than 3.4 gigabytes of random access memory for a while?

I'm playing GRAW2 on Vista... and i'll say this. On the newer 8800 with the beta drivers... it actually performs better then in xp for me.

But... my old 6800.... went from 35fps to yippie skippy. (5fps when i looked far away, 20 when looking at ground or sky. Never did figure out why nor could i get it stable in GRAW1 or GRAW2 with Vista)

So conclusion is.. on Vista ... probably the same or better with NEW GAMES ONLY and NEW HARDWARE. In XP... stick with the oldies and your older hardware will kick butt.

So conclusion is.. on Vista ... probably the same or better with NEW GAMES ONLY and NEW HARDWARE. In XP... stick with the oldies and your older hardware will kick butt.

In the end, it really depends on the individual game. As the article said, GRAW 2 is a bit of an anomoly - best to check real world benchies for your game of choice like those in the article:

With pretty much all new computers in the last year having 64-bit processors and Windows XP being harder and harder to find as retailers sell systems almost exclusively with Vista these days, gamers are facing the biggest transition since the days of migrating from Windows 98SE.

The good folks at SimHQ have responded to this by posting an excellent article where they pit Windows XP Pro 32-bit head-to-head with Vista Ultimate 64-bit using some of the most popular military/sim games as benchmarks. Interestingly, the GR:AW 2 benchmarks are a bit of an anomaly as Vista doesn't fall behind as much as in most other games.

http://simhq.com/_technology2/technology_110a.html

That was a good read, I would agree as well after testing all of them the last four months.

The thing I hate though is being forced into a new OS by MS and some Game makers, DX10 is obviously the way to go but look at the upgrade you will have to do. Not Cheap.

I read some whre here that xp is being supported until 2013 but Vista only til 2010 I remember thinking how odd is that.

Im gona stay with xp for as long as I can hold out.

GP brov.

Vista < XP < XP x64.

fancy looking OS means worse performance. i will avoid Vista like a plague until i stop playing games. the only benefit is looks. who needs that? XP x64 has been out long enough and at the moment all of my hardware, including printer, sound card, mouse, etc. are supported in x64. the difference in performance over 32 bit XP is roughly 15% in GRAW1 and probably about the same in GRAW2, as i haven't even tried to run it under regular XP.

Vista < XP < XP x64.

fancy looking OS means worse performance. i will avoid Vista like a plague until i stop playing games. the only benefit is looks. who needs that? XP x64 has been out long enough and at the moment all of my hardware, including printer, sound card, mouse, etc. are supported in x64. the difference in performance over 32 bit XP is roughly 15% in GRAW1 and probably about the same in GRAW2, as i haven't even tried to run it under regular XP.

Theef.. read up on shadowcopying. Very cool benifit of Vista. The indexed search also which has no overhead unlike google and the rest. Vista 64 also works as well as 32 and most hardware in 32 has the same driver #'s for the 64bit version released. Also read up on complete backup... using the shadowcopying. It creates a virtual PC backup that can be ran on another pc... includnig XP that is the FULL operating system and all software. And since virtual pc is free...

Oh and if you don't like fancy... turn it off ;)