free version of GR + in-game ads

Looks like the [Ghost Recon] is now gratis, thanks to the tech that is known as in-game advertising. This applies only to those in the U.S., but if you qualify and have never played Ghost Recon before then looks like you can legally download the full game now. Link courtesy of Tweakguides.

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=11162

Looks like I'll have to take a crack at this one. :)

P.S. Ubisoft is also offering Far Cry, Prince of Persia TSoT, and Raving Rabbids for free (with in-game ads), so that's enough proof for me to conclude this is legit.

This is quite legitimate. As I posted earlier, Fileplanet has the other three games listed above.

The ads are driven by DoubleFusion, whom I believe were contracted to provide the dynamic ads in GRAW2.

Reviews of the various games released under this program seem to indicate that other than the occasional splash screen add-in, short commercials between rounds, the ads aren't particularly intrusive, like you're not going to get a pop up in the middle of a game. For some, any ads are unacceptable; in this case, since you pay no money for the game, it's quite a bit more reasonable, I believe.

Also, so far the reports indicate no DRM to speak of, which makes sense, since the more copies out there, the more potential ad revenue for Ubisoft. In other words, share and enjoy.

I'm just waiting for my copy of Rayman to finish downloading. ;)

big subway thing added.

must watch a video ad every now and then.

Tried adding wow3 m4sopmod mod.

wow3 worked for a while then suddenly disappeared out of the mods folder.

:(

if you haven't played the original GR its good otherwise GR with expansions is still the best.

[post moved to the GR discussion thread]

Edited by Pave Low

For some, any ads are unacceptable; in this case, since you pay no money for the game, it's quite a bit more reasonable, I believe.

I agree as long as the game is free, or even priced lower (Fight night 3) then I have no problem with reasonable advertising.

However I am 100% against DYNAMIC advertising. Unlike static ads, this spyware (which is fast becoming the norm in games) uses your machine and your bandwidth, both of which YOU pay for and OWN, to monitor your session and upload ads directed at you based on the info collected. This is business being conducted for revenue and it's being done so on your property.

Whether this collected info is personal or not is irrelevant, the practice is unethical in principal. Your pc and your connection do not belong to them.

/rant (this was nothing, I would be far more brutal at the Ubi forum)

Edited by doubletap

For some, any ads are unacceptable; in this case, since you pay no money for the game, it's quite a bit more reasonable, I believe.

I agree as long as the game is free, or even priced lower (Fight night 3) then I have no problem with reasonable advertising.

However I am 100% against DYNAMIC advertising. Unlike static ads, this spyware (which is fast becoming the norm in games) uses your machine and your bandwidth, both of which YOU pay for and OWN, to monitor your session and upload ads directed at you based on the info collected. This is business being conducted for revenue and it's being done so on your property.

Whether this collected info is personal or not is irrelevant, the practice is unethical in principal. Your pc and your connection do not belong to them.

/rant (this was nothing, I would be far more brutal at the Ubi forum)

I have to agree with you here.

Just recently in the UK there have been some cases reported in the press of people being arrested and charged for illegally using unprotected wireless networks. Basically they were sat outside peoples houses with their laptops and using an unprotected wireless network to surf, collect email and download.

Surely this is just an extension of that. It is MY bandwidth. I pay for it and unless SPECIFIC permission (by me) is requested and given in the EULA then any unauthorised use of it for commercial gain cannot be legal?

Surely this is just an extension of that. It is MY bandwidth. I pay for it and unless SPECIFIC permission (by me) is requested and given in the EULA then any unauthorised use of it for commercial gain cannot be legal?

There's probably a clause in the Terms of Use that states dynamic advertising will use your internet coonnection periodically and that by installing you accept these terms.

There's probably a clause in the Terms of Use that states dynamic advertising will use your internet coonnection periodically and that by installing you accept these terms.

I don't have this new free GR but yes games with the dynamic ad spyware (Massive Inc.) mention it in the EULA. I've been told that graw2 incudes the option to enable or disable it from the server menu, and if that's true, as I've said before, I have so much respect for that. That's the way I expect to be treated, unlike Vivendi who sneaks the "service" in though a patch (swat4 v1.1?). :nono:

Edited by doubletap

I forgot to mention - I tried the fileplanet location as well as the internode website. I will try to download it again with the link you have here and see if anything changes. I am wondering if my problem is that something is being blocked when I launch the game.

I already have and contninue to play Ghost Recon with expansions along my beloved OFP since their releases, that's a testimony on how great the game is.

That free release sounds like a very good new for the people that does not have GR.

But i can imagine that featuring an ingame ads system is a bit concerning :

-Isn't that opening a potential exploit hole in term of security for the people that will play this version of GR online ?

-Isnt this making an impact on lag for player using the ads version of GR online , when part of the bandwidth will be used to download new ads ?

-Are players using the ads version of GR even capable of playing the game offline without being annoyed by the ads system wanting to connect to the net ?

-What is the online compatibility between the users of the regular version and the ones that use the ads supported game ?

-Will it be possible for them in the future to install the expansions Desert Siege or Island Thunders and so to enjoy the superb mods the modding community created ?

But other than those points, i hope this free game initiative will make people that have missed GR in its release to see how fantastic and immersive, even without the expansions, Ghost Recon is as a tactical game.

Edited by Orbarth

For some reason the free GR doesn't run on my PC. Is there a problem with GR with Dual cores that I am not aware of? Everytime I start the game via shortcut it loads for a split second then goes back to desktop.

[post moved to the GR discussion thread]

Same here. Any ideas?

Hi, I'm having a serious problem with the installation program of GR.

I downloaded the free version of GR a few days ago. It was working for a few days, but then I messed with some of the files, trying to make a mod that wouldn't work...work. This is not the problem though.

I uninstalled the game and tried to reinstall it. I put in my ubi.com login info...but then it says that I DON'T live in the US.

When I installed the game for the first time, everything was fine. My ubi account said that I lived in the US, but now it doesn't work. :(

I make a new account with my location in the US. The installer doesn't work. I make yet ANOTHER account with my location in US. It still doesn't work. I tried extracting the setup to another folder and then try it again. STILL doesn't work.

Then I re-download the dang zip archive. I try it again. STILL...DOESN'T...WORK!!! Every thing I try always ends up with it saying: "Sorry, you don't live in the US". I downloaded the game from Gamer's Hell. I haven't downloaded it from any other location yet, so I'm gonna try that.

However, I'm afraid that even THAT won't work. Can anyone please help me?! I REALLY want to play GR again.

Edited by Sigma-C