Ubisoft releases free ad-supported full games

Dannik

Ubisoft has apparently released several full retail games for free. The catch? In-game advertising. Reports so far indicate that the ads are on menus, loading screens, etc. and do not directly interfere with gameplay.

Current games available are Far Cry, Rayman: Raving Rabbits, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Ghost Recon was available, but appears to be no longer available.

While available at a few places, Fileplanet's Free Games page is a good starting point.

You do need a Fileplanet account, but you do not need a paid one. Free account is fine.

I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of this. If it's as simple as it's described, kudos for Ubisoft for doing the ad-based game model right this time.

Edit: Ghost Recon is also available.

This is one very good thing about in-game ads, the fact that if used correctly older games can become free with little strings attached. (just some ads and sometimes a lengthy download)

As for Far Cry, I bought the game a couple years ago and can say it's pretty good. Have yet to beat it though. (was over half-way, then the hard-drive died)

Ubisoft deserves applause for this one :clapping:

It used to be that when older games were no longer profitable, you simply couldn't get them (besides illegal copies). Now you can, for free. And if Ubi makes a buck or two off the advertising (I doubt it is a major source of revenue, probably does little more than cover the costs), more power to them. :)

Respectfully

krise madsen

It is on Fileplanet Rocky

http://www.fileplanet.com/180412/180000/fileinfo/Tom-Clancy

As a side note, I was just playing Far Cry, and I saw no advertisements at all except at the beginning (and that was just a screen that said "This game was brought to as a courtesy and is supported by in game advertisement"). I didn't get too far in the game, only to the first camp, but I didn't see any advertisements.

As a side note, I was just playing Far Cry, and I saw no advertisements at all except at the beginning (and that was just a screen that said "This game was brought to as a courtesy and is supported by in game advertisement"). I didn't get too far in the game, only to the first camp, but I didn't see any advertisements.

I kind of thought it would be like that, to get the ads in game would require recoding of all the maps and considering this is a last gasp attempt to make money from bargain bin games, it's doubtful they would spend any dev hours on it. So it's a good "gift" for anyone silly enough not to already own GR :)

Sounds like a good deal for anyone that has missed out on any of those games. :yes: UBI gave us a nice present last time with Raven Shield's Iron Wrath. ;) Does Jack Carver walk around with a sandwich board, strapped over his shoulders,full of advertisments? :o:spam:

:wall::wall::wall:

"Sorry, you must live in the US to play this title."

Word to the warned. <_<

If you don't live in the US, you can create a new UBI account and choose "United States" as your Location, and 12345 for a ZIP code. It worked for me :D

I live in the US and have 2 US UBI accounts and for FarCry it still tells me that I need to live in the US to play the game. Maybe California isn't in the US anymore? :P

California became part of Austria about 4 years ago, where have you been? :hmm:

I thought it was Mexico :ph34r:

Can I say that?

128337920746562500NaaaawHockeysti.jpg

:)

CC

Edited by CommandoCrazy