Ghost Recon.net Forums

Gameplay of GRAW 1/2 on system

Hi,

I've been playing Ghost Recon since it came out as simply Ghost Recon. Since that time, my computer lost the ability to keep up with the game just around Desert Seige. I just ordered a new Dell XPS 720 system with the 768mb nVidia 8800GTX card and 2GB of standard Dell installed RAM (have been thinking of the either upgrading to the Dell offered Corsair Dominatrix RAM or the Crucial Ballistix RAM). I've got the Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core processor. Will this system work well in playing GRAW 1/2? And my old GR as well? Sadly, the system only came with XP Media Edition (I chose to take a pass since my games of choice, GRAW 1/2 and RS6 just don't work on Vista), so I hope it'll work with these games fine.

I really want to play all of my GR and GRAW 1/2 games on this system at a level of detail I just haven't been able to play in the last 5 years. And I look forward to maybe playing online with some of you vets--you'll probably all beat me up i'm sure.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Eric

Very Nice system it will work and with setttings on max. I have the Q6600 its a great processor only thing you may want to add is 2 more gigs of ram for future games other than that your fine.

Thanks for the reply! I had been thinking of adding more RAM, but I heard that since XP (regardless of flavor) is only 32-bit, it won't do you much good to go to something like 4GB (or for that matter, even the 8GB that the XPS 720 supports). At the 4GB level, only 3-3.5 (at the max) will be recognized.

Any suggestions? Stay with Dell standard RAM? Corsair Dominatix or Crucial Ballistix?

Thanks and have a good holiday weekend. Maybe I'll have a chance to play co-op with you after I get my system delivered in mid-Sept.

Eric

Why o why are people buying dell.....

They look fast, but once they start breaking up exchanging parts is very difficult because the parts are custom built for dell only. try to get a new motherboard in a dell case is almost impossible, because dell mobo's have a different setup, and so on.....

I learned the hard way twice, and now I will only buy pc's that have a basic setup so I can upgrade/exchange parts when needed to.....

and off course with dell, hp, acer or any other brand there are outdated components in because they have to get rid of teh stock, so either your graphic card is lousy (not in this case off course) or the mobo has an outdated chipset, or memory is not top speed/brand.

If you spend so much money on a killer system you can also go to a local shop and have one built custom for you..... maybe you'll pay a bit more, but when it breaks up the repair is faster and a lot cheaper.

Hi,

I've been playing Ghost Recon since it came out as simply Ghost Recon. Since that time, my computer lost the ability to keep up with the game just around Desert Seige. I just ordered a new Dell XPS 720 system with the 768mb nVidia 8800GTX card and 2GB of standard Dell installed RAM (have been thinking of the either upgrading to the Dell offered Corsair Dominatrix RAM or the Crucial Ballistix RAM). I've got the Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core processor. Will this system work well in playing GRAW 1/2? And my old GR as well? Sadly, the system only came with XP Media Edition (I chose to take a pass since my games of choice, GRAW 1/2 and RS6 just don't work on Vista), so I hope it'll work with these games fine.

I really want to play all of my GR and GRAW 1/2 games on this system at a level of detail I just haven't been able to play in the last 5 years. And I look forward to maybe playing online with some of you vets--you'll probably all beat me up i'm sure.

Eric

Oh yeah, you've got more then enough to play those games listed. You will be set for awhile.

I on the other hand wouldn't recommend 4gigs of memory like the other poster. I would stick to two for now. Also, if you can get the windows vista bundled together I would go ahead and get that now instead of having to pay for it later. You will eventually want it even if you don't plan on using it right away.

Hi,

Eric

Oh yeah, you've got more then enough to play those games listed. You will be set for awhile.

I on the other hand wouldn't recommend 4gigs of memory like the other poster. I would stick to two for now. Also, if you can get the windows vista bundled together I would go ahead and get that now instead of having to pay for it later. You will eventually want it even if you don't plan on using it right away.

Thanks everybody for the responses. Hmmm, glad that GRAW works on Vista. Don't think I can go back and add Vista. Might have a buddy purchase Vista Business Edition for me with his academic discount (since he's a professor at a local junior college) and then just plop that into a separate partition. As for purchasing a Dell, well, I am fortunate enough to get work for a company that is part has their employee purchase program where I believe, but I could be worng, I saved up to an additional 12% off of the list price once it was all put together (the actual discount might have been less, but at least I got a discount of some sort out of those guys).

After reading some of the reviews regarding GRAW 1/2, I hope it doesn't let me know. Regardless, I've got a great rig and there are other games I'll play on it plus using it for business stuff too.

But thanks for your input everybody, I certainly appreciate it all. Hope you all get out of the office early today.

Eric

Well I am running two vista systems with four gigs of ram and it makes all the difference. I tested this, in one system I had six gigs of ram the other 2 gigs ran Rainbowsix Vegas simultaniously and noticed the 2gig system chugging.So I removed 2 gigs from the 6gig system and placed 2 additional gigs in the lessor system viola the chugs went away.

My systems are 64bit setups both Q6600 cpu's and mid range graphics gards nvidia 640mb gts,and ati sapphire hd2900xt. I say get 4 gigs you will not regret it trust me on this one.

Well I am running two vista systems with four gigs of ram and it makes all the difference. I tested this, in one system I had six gigs of ram the other 2 gigs ran Rainbowsix Vegas simultaniously and noticed the 2gig system chugging.So I removed 2 gigs from the 6gig system and placed 2 additional gigs in the lessor system viola the chugs went away.

My systems are 64bit setups both Q6600 cpu's and mid range graphics gards nvidia 640mb gts,and ati sapphire hd2900xt. I say get 4 gigs you will not regret it trust me on this one.

Hi,

Are you using regular RAM? Or some fancier RAM like the Corsair Dominatrix or Crucial Ballistix RAM? Or does it not matter so much as what brand but how much?

Eric