Your XPeriences with XP Pro x64?

CR6

So ... now that I got a Core 2 E6600 which is 64-bit and too much RAM for XP and Vista 32-bit to use, I figured to pick up a copy of XP x64 before it goes extinct to take advantage of my 4GB RAM.

Just curious what other's experiences are with x64 - I know Roco has run it.

In terms of installation, it took as long or longer to install than 32-bit XP (I'm dual-booting it). Also, didn't realize XP x64 shares the same SP2 pack as Windows Server 2003, and the service pack was 50% larger file size than SP2 for 32-bit. One benefit was that there were only 20 critical patches to install after SP2 x64 instead of the current mammoth 70+ patches for 32-bit XP.

So ... theoretically a 64-bit operating system should run faster than 32-bit since twice the amount of data are crunched at the same time? However, does anyone notice any real-world difference?

Will need to install some apps and games to see if it runs any faster ...

Well, just finished installing the 64-bit version of the ATI CCC for my X1950 Pro ... there was some wierd "mom.exe" thing that failed to run at startup - I googled it and apparently it's party of the CCC ... very annoying! Easily disabled with msconfig though.

Some interesting notes - there are icons for both IE7 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the Startup menu. They seem to share the same cache, so far can't see the 64-bit version is any faster

Also, get this: there is no Windows Media Player 11 available for XP x64. Go figure.

I haven't run P 64 bit but i have vista 64 bit. 2 of my clanmates do though. Main problem was limited drivers so make sure you have xp 64 bit drivers for all your devices. There was a lot more 64bit vista drivers released then XP 64 had.

I haven't run P 64 bit but i have vista 64 bit. 2 of my clanmates do though. Main problem was limited drivers so make sure you have xp 64 bit drivers for all your devices. There was a lot more 64bit vista drivers released then XP 64 had.

So what is to gain by going to a 64 bit Windows operating system?

I would guess there is nothing to gain by going 64 bit until there are Dual Core processors operating at much higher speeds than most processors nowadays and you need more than 6 gigabytes of Random Access Memory.

I think I will stick with my 32 bit Windows XP for a few more years.

Thanks for your insight Roco. Have you noticed much of a performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?

When I bought the retail Vista Ultimate Upgrade earlier this year (to take advantage of Microsoft's family offer to get 2 Home Premium Vista key's cheap), I only had my P4 to install the 32 bit version on, even though it came with a 64-bit disc and key. Now I wish I could install the 64-bit version on my wife's new Core2, but too late ...

So that's why I purchased a copy of XP x64-bit for the Core2 - actually thought it might have better driver support since it's been around longer, but like you said, MS may be throwing more effort and driver support into Vista 64-bit :wacko:

Anyways, I used one of my extra Home Premium Vista keys on the Core 2 so it's actually a triple-booting machine as of today :o

Don't think I've listed my specs yet: It's a new rig for the whole family to use, so not really a high-end gamer system. Just wanted something that ran Vista well, stays relatively quiet, can play newer games decently and edit video.

Lian-Li PC-60B PLUS II

Core 2 Duo E6600

Intel 975BX2 mobo w/ onboard sound

Corsair DDR2 677MHz RAM at 4-4-4-12 (1GB x 4 sticks - just testing 1 pair at a time for now)

WD 500GB SATA HD

Lite-On SATA DVD x2

Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB PCIe

Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter

ViewSonic VX2255 22" widescreen w/ integrated webcam

Creative GigaWorks T20 2.0 desktop speakers (actually pretty good)