PC keep shutting down by itself.

Danish1705

Hi Guys,

I am seriously in need of your guys knowledge and experience to help me solve my problem.

Recently my pc keep shutting down by itself. Its either while browsing, playing games or while booting PC. Let me describe more details.

Last time my PC accidentally fall from a 1 feet height. My 3 years old son accidentally push its over. It is after this all hell brake loose. Upon checking all the primary computer peripheral such as PSU(the fan had few fan blades broke but the fan still moving), videocard, harddisk and rams, everything looks okay. I did not know how to check mainboard and dvd and cd-rom all working fine.

Suddenly (recently), my PC keep shutting down by itself during playing games, browsing and booting PC. It didnt show anything or indication (errors log) it just turn off by itself. Now, during my attempt to reboot, it wouldn't start at all. My solution to turn it back on is to unplugged the power cable and plug it back, with the PSU switch is turn off and turn it on back then my PC will boot up. Some how it wouldn't last long as durng booting it went down again and the whole processes need to do again. Sometime the light on my keyboard is flickering when this happen to my PC. Sometime it will finish the booting process and i can play game and browsing before it happen again.

Yesterday, i have bought a new PSU for my beloved PC with a new 600 watt (last time it was 480 watt). Thinking that all this mess was start becoz of the damaged fan blades and to my amazed upon installing the new PSU same thing happen again.

So guys, i realy need your expertise and experience in computer to help me solved this puzzle. Is it becoz PSU? Videocard? RAM? Harddisk? Cabling inside PC? CD or DVD-ROM? mainboard?

I appreciate any feedback.

P/S: My PC spec is at my signature :)

---Danish

Edited by Danish1705

First of all I would go back through a check all the cabling connections. While it may sound basic I can't tell you how many times I haven't quite got the mobo connector all the way, well, connected. Which causes something very similar to what you are describing to happen.

If that doesn't work I would suggest disconnecting everything from the motherboard and just booting up to see if it will get to the BIOS screen. Then just start putting things back on.

But my bet is that it is power related, not meccessarily the PSU but a connection somewhere just isn't right.

disconnect all peripherial devices and all internal components not used for basic booting of the PC. You need PSU, Mobo, CPU, RAM, Vid card (If you have onboard as an option, go with it and take out the slot card). That will let the machine post and allow you to at least operate the BIOS. Add devices back one by one. If there's been a common time factor, let that time pass each time. Its a tedious and slow process but about the best "non-tech" solution you can go with.

disconnect all peripherial devices and all internal components not used for basic booting of the PC. You need PSU, Mobo, CPU, RAM, Vid card (If you have onboard as an option, go with it and take out the slot card). That will let the machine post and allow you to at least operate the BIOS. Add devices back one by one. If there's been a common time factor, let that time pass each time. Its a tedious and slow process but about the best "non-tech" solution you can go with.

ok. i have followed all the suggestion but problem occur even before bios screen appear. So what doen this mean? is the mainboard faulty?

could the cpu cooler of moved ?

as dropping it wouldnt of been the best for it

maybe your mobo is earthing out as in touching something ?

not sure, could be. Right now the damn thing wont even boot up. I press the on button, it start, then just in a few secs it dead again.

Anyway guys thank you very much for the feedback. Seems like i have to upgrade my PC!!! total upgrade!! haha...

again guys thank you very much. Appreciate the advise and suggestion :D

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend finally i had the time to assemble all the new hardware that i bought for my pc. To my surprise even after all the new hardware has been install, the damn pc still showing the same smypton. The damn thing boot up only for a few seconds then it went dead! :wall: I am so furios right now. Everything in my PC is a new hardware except for my desktop tower casing.

Could it be the power on/off is faulty? or is there any setting on the new mobo that i need to check? set? Below is my new pc spec :

ATHLON X2 64bit 6000+ 3.0Ghz Dual Core (Processor)

Asus M2A-VM / HDMI (motherboard)

Kingston Performance memory PC-6400 DDR2-800 4Gb (RAM)

MSI NX8800GTX DDR3 DX10 (Video Card)

ICUTE ATX 600W + 2*14cm Fan (Power Supply) <--recycle back

HDD Western Digital 80Gb SATA <--- recycle back

LG DVD read/write. <--- recycle back

I have checked and rechecked all wiring.

Appreciate again guys any advise/assistant in this matter. :wall:

I would suspect either the power supply (which it looks like you recycled) or a problem with case/switch wiring. My personal experience has been that about 90% of these types of "mysterious failures" can be traced back to power supply issues.

Thx for the reply Buehgler, the PSU is quite new, previous PSU is a 480watt which i thought was the main contributor to the problem, later I bought a new one with 600watt, after install the new PSU, problem still there.

This is when i thought it was the mobo and decide to upgrade the whole rig since my rig need a major upgrade. Even then, with all the new equipment/devices that "mysteries" sympton" still there! :wall:

Thx again for the advice Buehgler. Do you have more ideas? as for the wiring, later after i finish my shift i will do an autopsy again on my rig w00t

ok here is again the scenario:

Press the power button, the PC start (like in a 1 secs) then it went down by itself and wont start if i press the power button again. It require me to switch off the main psu like 3-5 seconds then turn it back on the main power button behind the PSU and press the power button. PC start and down again (after 1 secs) :hmm:

its been a month since the last time ive played GRAW2!!! arghhhhh..talk about itchy trigger finger!!!

Edited by Danish1705

Hmmm, sorry I missed the bit about the PS being replaced after the "fall".

The symptom you describe of the problem being (temporarily) cleared by fully cycling the power supply off really makes me suspect that somehow your PS is getting into some sort of fault state. Since it seems you can induce the problem without needing to boot your OS, you may want to disconnect everything other than you MB from the power supply and seeing if that helps -- I'm wondering if maybe your optical drive or HDD are acting up and causing the PS to fault. It's a stretch, but a possibility. Unfortunately this is basically just what DonMiguel suggested last month, so I doubt I am really helping you here :(

My only other thought is some damaged wire or other intermittent wirring/connector problem. If you pay close attention to those items in your autopsy you may find something. Ideally you can get it to run long enough to POST and get you into the BIOS where you will be able to get to a system monitor page and see something odd or out of range and that will help you isolate the problem.

Good luck :fingersx:

Thx bro. I've manage to isolate and solve it!!

1. My old mobo was the actual root cause.

2.Bought new PSU but the damn thing was actually broken. (loss direction here, though somethin else)

3. This morning, I test back the new mobo with old PSU and my PC is up and running!! w00t

So the main problem was on my MSI K8TNeo Mobo.

Everything is okay now. :thumbsup:

installing back GRAW & GRAW2. Cant wait Crysis and Starcraft 2 :shifty:

Edited by Danish1705