Some help getting started

looking for some tips and help on Graw modding as this will be my first project with this game. I have looked through the packages that came bundled but cant find the answers Im looking for. Up to this point my major mod experience has been with C&C generals and warhammer 40k so this is compleatly new territory for me.

I really dont know how difficult what Im looking to do is but this is it-

Add the ability to pick up like ammo from enemy drops as approprate, clips ok, belts only for belt fed weapons

Add ability for team leader to issue commands to human players in multi player maps just as with team AI

Add backpack drop down during mission brief for AI units to add grenades etc.

Add team leader commands specific to aux weapons, ie. throw grenade here, use zeus to blow up this bunker (this should be a dynamic tool, ie. if the member does not have that weapon available the option would either be grayed or not appear)

Unlock zeus fire modes to allow fire at non locked targets, aka bunker buster rocket

An auto sound off mag check after a fire fight where signifigant rounds were spent, something like "1 mag spent, half mag left, sir" or "only 5 rounds left with 2 extras"- honestly im not looking for it to really do anything, just add to the ambiance and idle chatter

Remove part of artificial cross hairs. Basicaly I want only the current mobile portion of the cross hair to be visable (the part that moves as you change speed) and to dissappear when you are stopped or moving so slow your crosshairs are uneffected- I hope that made sense, basicaly I want the middle of the crosshair removed, and the expandable portion to only appear when it effects your shooting

Ability for team leader to take direct control of the drone in full screen mode, it still behaves as normal in relation to altitude and movement, but you can move it first person, and have it revert to normal operation when you recover from full screen.

Add a motion swing to the weapon sights that increases based on exhaustion

Add a tripod option that auto deploys in prone mode for approprate weapons- this would counteract any swing

Addition of a knife in gear select as well as modding a kill animation for the strike when done from suprise (aka sam fisher)

Remove the visual componant of the narcom in mission

Relocate all cross com items (pretty much every hud item) to the left portion of the screen to more approprately mimic the location of the eye reticule

And finally (yes im dreaming) help in making an environment where vehicles are enterable and drivable as well as vehicle mounted weapons, doors can be opened and entered etc for enhanced realisim.

Anyone who can provide assistance on anyone of these please let me know. Im not asking anyone to do the work for me, though I wont look a gift horse in the mouth. Rather I need someone to point me in the right direction as I havent found it yet.

Also as a side note, for agent smith. What is the problem with particles on your mod, is there any way that I could work to keep them enabled while adding the blood effect, in short keep the game just how it looks currently only with blood effects. Also how hard would it be to enable grusome effects, blowing heads off with the barrett, limbs with the RPG etc...?

I guess im going for a quasi realisim mod while keeping the intent of graw intact. I have seen a very nice "realisim mod" however I feel that took what graw was supposed to be, near future, and removed it. Im ok with near future, but I still want it to be real near future. My version is looking to take the great command abilities of the rainbow six series, with the very detailed command system, some of the stealth abilities of splinter cell, with the ability to open a door slowly to sneak, and mouse scroll to determine sneak speed. Would love feed back on this and hopefully you all can help me make this happen. Thanks ahead of time for any replies, looking forward to making some great maps with you guys after I get this sorted.

Also as a side note, for agent smith. What is the problem with particles on your mod, is there any way that I could work to keep them enabled while adding the blood effect, in short keep the game just how it looks currently only with blood effects. Also how hard would it be to enable grusome effects, blowing heads off with the barrett, limbs with the RPG etc...?

It's in the readme:

Known issues

------------------------------

Due to the newly written splattering code from scratch, there are numerous surfaces that spawn the same impact decal and have no particles that spew out when fired.

This is a trade off for blood, as it is required to have the blood to appear. In the Ultra-Gore version, this applies to every surface.

There's the Regular edition which has most of the particle effects intact with blood showing up only on dirt. I'll have Rocky put up the Regular version when I release 1.1.

About gore, from what mirr has told me in the numerous strings of PMs, it is possible. However, neither of us are 3d modellers, we're just coders. The reason why I bring up a modeller is because with real gore, all you're doing is substituting models. Meaning, one frame you have a full body model of a soldier, the next frame it's the same model, with just the head removed.

Mirr's watching this thread, so he should elaborate some more on it.

yea I got that, I swear I read the readme :) the question is what is the problem with the particles, I take it from your explination that there is no way to show a dynamic effect based on the situation, particles on dirt for a miss and blood for a hit? Is that correct? I was more looking for the root of the problem to see if a solution exsisted to get the best of both worlds, full realistic particles for dirt, wall, wood hits, as well as blood... hmm, compleatly shooting from the cuff here as I as of yet have absolutly zero experience modding this game but would it be possible to add a layer just above the ground layer to portray the blood effect, from a players perspective it would not be noticable and with pass through it would still allow for dirt particles, as a matter of fact you would end up with bullets passing right through the character model, depositing blood on the ground, and creating a dirt particle as they struck the ground layer. Very hollywood if it would work.

On a side, I acctualy happen to know a very good 3d guy, let me know what you need and I will see if I can enlist him. Sadly hes a friend of a friend so no guarentees but hey, heres hoping for some limb flying goodness.

sounds like u have your ###### together - welcome to gr.net.

a lot of the things you want to implement sound great actually.

in terms of finding out where and how to do most of those things - i haven't looked into those thigns yet and im tied up in another project at present. ask Woldsong when hes around or Agent Smith seems to know his way around a lot of the things u mentioned.

g luck c u later.

OK. I am a complete nOb when it comes to Modding. Treat me as if I am an infant taking my first step. I have started looking through the tutorial pdf's, but my head started spinning. When I know what it is I am specifically looking for it may be a bit easier. I don't think the coding part will make my head explode too bad. I understand and know HTML & Flash action script, so the XML shouldn't be too difficult to mess with.

I want to make a custom MP game type. A variation of HH and closely based on HH. How do I begin?

1. Do I need to make a custom gametype XML for every map I want it to function on?

If and when it is ever completed, are server side gametypes a thing of the past? Would I have to distribute the gametype publicly for it to be playable for the community? ANd will it be a separate file for every map?

2. How do I get to the files I need to edit? And what files am I looking for exactly? (I searched around inside the GRAW2 directory last night and found nothing. I'm guessing I need to extract something from somewhere?)

3. I will want to place the smoke in a specific location on each of the MP maps and have 4 random spawns in locations I will define. Do I need to use the editor for this?

4. I will also want to attach a sound to a timed event.

5. I will want to display the amount of time the smoke has been captured for instead of points. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help/kick-in-the-ass that is given.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*