Old School GR

I'm an old veteran of the original GR. I never played GRAW1 because I was unable to upgrade my PC. Well I'm finally getting a new PC and looking to get back into GR, but I have read a lot of conflicting reviews on GR2.

Am I going to be disappointed going from the original GR to GR2? Will the demo give me enough of a taste to tell if its worth it or not?

If you're an [GR] veteran, GRAW2 (over GRAW1) is a better choice, but definitely try the SP and/or MP demos before putting your money down.

GRAW1 was a Ghost Recon game in name only, I think. It was good, but it wasn't a sequel; more or a third cousin. GRAW2, however, closes in on the original. It's still not what I'd call a true sequel, but it's a decent game, with enough homage to the original, that it's worth at least checking out.

GR is unfortunately dead and gone but this game is pretty close and lots of fun. I don't like the way some things are done but like the majority of it, so it's not GR but it is worth buying and playing.

Plus the modders now have the tools to make maps and missions and will soon be putting out new MP maps/missions and extending the life of the game.

GR is unfortunately dead and gone but this game is pretty close and lots of fun. I don't like the way some things are done but like the majority of it, so it's not GR but it is worth buying and playing.

Plus the modders now have the tools to make maps and missions and will soon be putting out new MP maps/missions and extending the life of the game.

Do expansion packs look promising for this like the original GR?

If you play PvP then buy it mate, other than that, save your money.

Not that I've played any PvP on GRAW2 (hard to do from Afghanistan), but I'd have to agree with the two gents above. There's been a lot of praise for the multiplayer improvements, but the single-player experience is weak at best. Despite obvious attempts on GRIN's part to make the game seem less linear, it's still nearly DooM-series in it's babysitter-guided-from-here-to-there linear play. The Ghost Recon name for PC should be left to fade away peacefully now. It can't be saved after this...

Despite obvious attempts on GRIN's part to make the game seem less linear, it's still nearly DooM-series in it's babysitter-guided-from-here-to-there linear play.

Give the Nocom mod a try. Sadly, you still find yourself moving from objective to objective in linear fashion, but it greatly helps to simply do away with the enormous amount of painfully over-acted video intrusions, and it almost completely removes the "hero" feel to the game in favor of a more GR feel.

Edited by doubletap

this is an interesting situation. GRAW2's coop, is really firefight and plant c4 on adats but, GRAW2 misses on the true inspiration of COOP. GRAW2 coop is just a bunch of enemy on the map, with many players just seeing who can kill most of the badguys.

I'm an old veteran of the original GR. I never played GRAW1 because I was unable to upgrade my PC. Well I'm finally getting a new PC and looking to get back into GR, but I have read a lot of conflicting reviews on GR2.

Am I going to be disappointed going from the original GR to GR2? Will the demo give me enough of a taste to tell if its worth it or not?

I don’t play co-op or SPer but the Multi-Player in GRAW 2 is excellent, and the game is worth the purchase. It isn’t perfect but without a doubt is one of the better shooters available on PC.

Hope to see ya in games!

BTW, Are you Mr. Burns from The Rumble? Team NOMAD?

Despite obvious attempts on GRIN's part to make the game seem less linear, it's still nearly DooM-series in it's babysitter-guided-from-here-to-there linear play. The Ghost Recon name for PC should be left to fade away peacefully now. It can't be saved after this...

i cant see graw2 being anywhere near doom. cap. mitchell is somewhere waaay down the line of chain of command. he gets his orders and he has to do so. did it ever occured to you that completing goal#2 before goal#1 could be completely senseless? its not mitchells call to decide where he should go and where not. maybe he hasnt the overview over the situation either.

in [GR] you had mission goals like "destroy aa here and there" or "gain control over missionarea" or "kill all enemies". with missiongoals like these its nor important which you complete first. in graw1/2 its more back-to-back. you HAVE to secure corridor #a fisrt before you can go further. you have to destoy all the aa before you can get airsupport, etcetcpp.

so what im saying is, that in fact [GR] had more firefight-missions, because you got no priorities in missiongoals or even a real stoyline which the game itself followed....

In GRAW 2, multiple objectives are totally doable, as are random objectives, as are multiple random objectives.

In MP, you can have objective based TvT, with random objectives, multiple objectives, multiple random objectives, multiple spawn points, random spawn points, and multiple random spawn points. And, that's just TvT, not to mention Coop.

Get the idea? Just because it's not in the original missions does not mean it's not possible.

Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

Mr. Burns, it's worth the purchase. Trust me.

Whoa... did i see ruggbutt just post that ?? :rocky:

Mr burns... Don't think of it as GR1... or you will be dissappointed. Think of it as a New game entirely with a common theme and some like features. It is however a blast, and matchable (check teamwarfare.com)

Also make sure you have a decent pc to play... at least a 7600GT or above, 1-2gb of ram and a p4 3.0, core2, quad or amd equivilent. That way you can enjoy the whole atmostphere.

i saw that i saw that!!! :D

if rugg loves it it must be good.

look i dont know if u were one of these players, but there were thousands of gr players at one point playing Total Random Respawns which is a really fun, exciting and unpredictable gametype. I am currently rebuilding this new gametype with the help of a fellow modder called Nutlink, and it's looking really tight (good) at the moment. I have just finished the 5th map and am planning to do at least about 20 all up.

now im just one modder, and there are a bunch of other ppl hooking into modding other gametypes, map making, map editing and coop missions.

[GR] was brilliant - this is already close to being the worthy successor of [GR] - just needs a little fine tuning but GRIN have done a brilliant job so far.

TRY IT OUT.

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

i cant see graw2 being anywhere near doom. cap. mitchell is somewhere waaay down the line of chain of command. he gets his orders and he has to do so. did it ever occured to you that completing goal#2 before goal#1 could be completely senseless? its not mitchells call to decide where he should go and where not. maybe he hasnt the overview over the situation either.

in [GR] you had mission goals like "destroy aa here and there" or "gain control over missionarea" or "kill all enemies". with missiongoals like these its nor important which you complete first. in graw1/2 its more back-to-back. you HAVE to secure corridor #a fisrt before you can go further. you have to destoy all the aa before you can get airsupport, etcetcpp.

so what im saying is, that in fact [GR] had more firefight-missions, because you got no priorities in missiongoals or even a real stoyline which the game itself followed....

[[[this post has been edited by the mean-spirited guy with a poor outlook on life who originally typed it, and hopefully it no longer offends anyone who may or may not have had any personal experience with pipes made of glass or people seeking help for such pipes... 26AUG07]]]

I'll give you a perfect example of how [GR] had the flexibility that this game lacks- M02-FARM. I've got two different dudes to rescue and a plane to blow up, and I know this going in. It matters not ONE LITTLE BIT what order I complete these three objective in. And I've done it in each order just to prove it to myself. What makes sense to one player does NOT make sense to another.

Who knows how realistic it is- I'm not in the SF. Are you? Is ANYONE here?

So what takes over is the increased interest one takes in how well a mission is completed compared to the increased amount of control he or she has over how it's completed. If I connect the dots from point A to point Z, hitting all the in-betweens in order, I feel like a GRAW2 AI- comfortably dumb. In [GR], I could blow the whole deal if I didn't PLAN and CONDUCT my mission well. Yeah, I'm the guy who would start a MP server offline and rehearse a mission a couple times before executing it in my campaign. Call it a rock drill. THAT is real.

GRAW was horribly linear. GRAW2 is scarcely any better. I just need someone to mod in some Imps tossing fireballs at me now and I'll have a much better feeling for GRAW2 SP.

...I'm not in the SF. Are you? Is ANYONE here?

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you. :ph34r::P

Seriously though, the SP is completely linear. Over and over again you are forced into unnecessary bottlenecks that I would have avoided like the plague when I was in uniform. All because I can't step over a 2' wall or climb over some debris.

Who knows how realistic it is- I'm not in the SF. Are you? Is ANYONE here?

No, I am retired now but I was a USAF Police/EST (SWAT/Sniper) and while that is a huge gap to the SF guys we did pride ourselves on being the best we could be with what we had available. Eventually I ended up in charge of the 2 teams we had and led the mission planning, (all sat in during the planning and were allowed to give input).

Stalker' date='Aug 24 2007, 05:07 PM' post='491066']Seriously though, the SP is completely linear. Over and over again you are forced into unnecessary bottlenecks that I would have avoided like the plague when I was in uniform. All because I can't step over a 2' wall or climb over some debris.

100% Agree

Edited by Fletch

...in graw1/2 its more back-to-back. you HAVE to...
Follow the yellow brick road.

No need to sugar-coat it. It is what it is.

Just because it's not in the original missions does not mean it's not possible.
Well that just might be true, but it really would have been nice to see an example of this out of the box.

Think of it as a New game entirely with a common theme and some like features.
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Note ... SP capaign may be linear but according to wolfsong... it doesn't have to be in the modding sense.

I am speaking from the MP side. It's a blast. I'm sure non linear co-op maps are in the mix by modders also... once the editor is refined.

Maybe this is more what we want?

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/ti...cut_minimap.jpg

0:)

I don’t play co-op or SPer but the Multi-Player in GRAW 2 is excellent, and the game is worth the purchase. It isn’t perfect but without a doubt is one of the better shooters available on PC.

Hope to see ya in games!

BTW, Are you Mr. Burns from The Rumble? Team NOMAD?

Nope, sorry.

Seriously though, the SP is completely linear. Over and over again you are forced into unnecessary bottlenecks that I would have avoided like the plague when I was in uniform. All because I can't step over a 2' wall or climb over some debris.

100% Agree

And I think that's the point, really. Well said.