RvsA/ Spawn Camping Awareness Day?

ouch youve just been ruggbutted :D

camping sucks but you'll never remove it cos there are 2 schools of thought -

1. camping is part of the game.

2. camping is not in the spirit of the game.

you just have to work out how to dig out campersor not play those teams.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the over 2000 ladder matches we played in [GR] we didn't get many campers. There was one squad that was (in)famous for camping but overall teams were at the very least cautious but they'd move and make an attempt to make a kill. Some people will camp at their spawn and wait for you to come around. My advice is if you haven't found them everywhere else, check their spawn. :)

Ok but none of you are addressing the post that states quite clearly as seconded by several people, RvsA fixes GRAW2 comp. I'm not saying TDM should be fixed because it can't be. It is what it is. I'm just telling people why RvsA is better. Listen up. And as for rugbutt. I'm sorry you're so mature that you can arbitarily call anyone who likes a gametype other than the ones you prefer kiddie games. My bad.

In the over 2000 ladder matches we played in [GR] we didn't get many campers. There was one squad that was (in)famous for camping but overall teams were at the very least cautious but they'd move and make an attempt to make a kill. Some people will camp at their spawn and wait for you to come around. My advice is if you haven't found them everywhere else, check their spawn. :)

I'm going to stay out of this as much as I can, because this is Keyser's battle. This is not [GR], Ruggbutt. And I sincerely doubt you have played a single scrim for GRAW2. Play the_cut, timber, or crashsite. Every single bush will be shooting at you. The aggressive team looses, end of story. Its impossible for you to move around "Carefully" as you put it on these kinds of maps. And when you do pop out, theres no way for you to know which of the dozen bushes your looking at has a person inside.

...Kiddies who talk all kinds of smack fully knowing that the interweb protects them from harm or physical injury. The kind of kiddies who ask a question, don't like the answer and tell you to F Off. Those kind of CS boogereaters.

I'm sorry you didn't understand the first time. I typed this response slower so you'd get it. :)

Everyone loves a hypocrite... :rolleyes:

I'm going to stay out of this as much as I can, because this is Keyser's battle.

No battles here, only discussion and reasonable debate. :thumbsup:

I'm off to bed, please don't get personal guys, I hate getting up to put out fires. :)

This is a case where we get what we asked for. No map for any game is going to stop camping unless its flat with no obstacles on it, and the spawns are 50 ft apart.

I like when people camp their spawn, cause then I know exactly where they are. Camping is just another part of any game you play whether it be Quake, CoD, ArmA, [GR], and GRAW. You cannot escape it, as some people enjoy it.

I remember playing a game ( not sure which one ) that had a mod that revealed your location after camping for more than 10 seconds. And another version that killed you if you did the same. Well, if GRAW had the same measures it would kill the game for many, if not all. Sorry this portion is kinda random.......

It is a slow paced game, and to be honest.... the best part of the game to me is the tension that builds up waiting for the first team to make a mistake, and get a guy killed. That is of course during matches, Pub play is a different story.

I can feel for you though, as we all have pet peeves about games, but honestly 99.9% of the time its fixed by adaptation of the player, not the game itself.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

This is a case where we get what we asked for. No map for any game is going to stop camping unless its flat with no obstacles on it, and the spawns are 50 ft apart.

I like when people camp their spawn, cause then I know exactly where they are. Camping is just another part of any game you play whether it be Quake, CoD, ArmA, [GR], and GRAW. You cannot escape it, as some people enjoy it.

I remember playing a game ( not sure which one ) that had a mod that revealed your location after camping for more than 10 seconds. And another version that killed you if you did the same. Well, if GRAW had the same measures it would kill the game for many, if not all. Sorry this portion is kinda random.......

It is a slow paced game, and to be honest.... the best part of the game to me is the tension that builds up waiting for the first team to make a mistake, and get a guy killed. That is of course during matches, Pub play is a different story.

I can feel for you though, as we all have pet peeves about games, but honestly 99.9% of the time its fixed by adaptation of the player, not the game itself.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Camping isnt the issue. 10 year old bush design with no collisions and bad textures is the issue. At least in other games, if you even breathed inside a bush, you made quite a bit of noise. Hell. ALOT of noise. In this game? not a peep

Most people don't hide completely in the bushes, you should at least be able to see feet or something. Especially if you zoom in on them, you should be able to see some uniform or something. Moving slowly, and being very vigilant, the bushes aren't impossible.

On the other hand, the bushes are extremely good hiding spots. I'm not sure if they're unfair, but they're definitely tough to deal with, and do lend themselves to spawn camping very well.

Most people don't hide completely in the bushes, you should at least be able to see feet or something. Especially if you zoom in on them, you should be able to see some uniform or something. Moving slowly, and being very vigilant, the bushes aren't impossible.

You must not play this game too much :hmm:

...Kiddies who talk all kinds of smack fully knowing that the interweb protects them from harm or physical injury. The kind of kiddies who ask a question, don't like the answer and tell you to F Off. Those kind of CS boogereaters.

I'm sorry you didn't understand the first time. I typed this response slower so you'd get it. :)

Everyone loves a hypocrite... :rolleyes:

Amen Bonkers,

As for rvsa, i don't really like it because of 1 thing - the respawn times are so wrong, they should be locked at 1 certain time - 10-15 seconds, just played some rvsa, had to wait 30+ seconds to respawn :hehe:

Edited by C9.Constantine

I get people in bushes all the time. I don't think there's ever been a time where I knew someone was in a bush (from muzzle flare, sound, etc.) when I wouldn't be able to see them. As I said, scoping the bush allows you to see through a bush; you should be able to see someone's uniform or hand or gun by doing this.

I do play quite a bit, MorphingJar.

You obviously never played Jester's Halls for RS/UO. One game mode had everyone spawning in the same room. Talk about a bloodbath. Made for great laughs too.

Now, as far as this topic, be cool, or I will put the fire out so Rocky doesn't have to.

Fact, some people equate spawn camping one way and others equate it another.

As far as camping on POW Camp, that wasn't really a TvT friendly map.

Keyser' date='Aug 20 2007, 03:37 PM' post='489993']

I'm sorry you're so mature that you can arbitarily call anyone who likes a gametype other than the ones you prefer kiddie games. My bad.

I wasn't talking about any particular gametype. I was talking about respawns. Reading is fundamental.

I sincerely doubt you have played a single scrim for GRAW2.

Jar, you wouldn't know the first thing about me. But you sure like to assume. I linked your response to our squad forums, our guys got a nice laff. Thanks for that, it's been a hard day and I needed a smile.;)

The camping complaint has been an "issue" for every game I've ever seen where you had respawns. If you only get one life, then you spend it carefully. And never have I seen anyone complain about spawn camping in no respawn games. Except for that guy who never leaves his own spawn. :D These "awareness" threads crack me up because it's a bunch of people either complaining or (in the case of those that feel self important) making blanket statements such as "this is how things are". There's a whole bunch of grey in between black and white.

Edited by ruggbutt

Amen Bonkers,

As for rvsa, i don't really like it because of 1 thing - the respawn times are so wrong, they should be locked at 1 certain time - 10-15 seconds, just played some rvsa, had to wait 30+ seconds to respawn :hehe:

I'm assuming you were defending at the time. The respawn times change as the round progresses and are dependent on the objectives. If you still have all three objectives alive, your spawn time will be quick, and on the other end, if you only have one objective still alive (you're on defense remember), your spawn time will be much longer. I *THINK* it's 15 seconds with all three up, 30 with two and 45 seconds respawn timer with 1 objective left to defend. From my experience, the timer is a TEAM respawn timer. So if John dies with 45 second respawn, and you die 10 seconds after John; your timer will say 35 seconds. i.e. all your team spawns in at the same times. On the other end of things, as assault, you can only respawn as each objective is blown up. I find that this was pretty well designed for balancing purposes. If you think about it, defense should have longer spawn times when there is only one objective because obviously all your players will be at that one objective. So they already have an advantage because they can respawn, they have position advantage, and assault at that point would no longer have any chance of respawning. I honestly feel that RvsA is very well-suited for competition play.

I ***PERSONALLY*** find RvsA more strategic and obviously fast-paced and intense than TDM due to the dynamics of it. TDM can be enjoyable, but as my teammates have mentioned, we run into many teams that have just sat by their spawn in bushes. It just gets old after awhile, and I don't have the time to play a match for 3 hours because of constant ties.

I'm not trying to push anyone into RvsA and force my opinions. I just ask that some of you try it for more than a couple of rounds and learn the dynamics of it. Trust me, we all hated it at first too, until we had a team that wanted to scrim it and showed us how much fun it can be. I hope this helped clear up some confusion on the game-type.

Cheers!

Edited by BonkerS

If you don't like TDM camping... you can play Hamburger hill. there is an objective and if a team is camping you just grab the points for the win.

I find RVSA like a bad headache myself. Once you attack one tank with guys with unlimited spawns, you must attack the next. If you on defense, your running from tank to tank. I found myself running more then thinking. (especially on defense) Just my opinion though.

Although Rugg hasn't played at TWL (not sure why) Bsr (his squad has MANY Gr1 matches under there belt with tdm so there is some background.

Hot guys --- >oh... cool btw about Wed, i hadn't got a confirmation and was wondering... see you then hot

10 year old bush design with no collisions and bad textures is the issue. At least in other games, if you even breathed inside a bush, you made quite a bit of noise. Hell. ALOT of noise. In this game? not a peep

That's actually an excellent point. Hadn't really thought about it, but the absence of interaction with the bushes is silly and makes the bushes far more advantageous to hide in than they should be.

On another thought, for those who haven't played it, no respawn Hamburger Hill really would fix a lot of complaints. Camp in your spawn -- lose. Run-n-gun -- lose. Play aggressively but carefully -- win.

10 year old bush design with no collisions and bad textures is the issue. At least in other games, if you even breathed inside a bush, you made quite a bit of noise. Hell. ALOT of noise. In this game? not a peep

On another thought, for those who haven't played it, no respawn Hamburger Hill really would fix a lot of complaints. Camp in your spawn -- lose. Run-n-gun -- lose. Play aggressively but carefully -- win.

Yeah i agree,

Yeah i agree,

It would be pretty cool if we could figure out some decent rules and balanced maps and have a scrim with you guys on some HH like that. Let me know if you are up for it. It would make for an interesting experiment with the gametype for the very least. Some of the HH maps are kinda unbalanced and/or silly. For example Calavera the spawns are super close to eachother and easily GL'd. And the Cut one side gets there much before the other can from their spawn on the start. However Lagoon is a fairly balanced HH map from what I can tell. Maybe something like 10 minute rounds and 200 tickets or something. Talk to me on xfire about it and maybe we can get our teams together and mess around with it AFZ?

i dont really think spawn camping will not happen in RvsA mode. there were some scenarios where the assault team reached an adat site late,once an adat was blown up they spawn raped the recon team.

actually spawn raping would happen if players dont really stick to the way that a game mode is supposed to be played.

of course except tdm lol

in pubs there are always new players joining and they dont know how to play certain modes sometimes. and its also why i tend not to play objective-oriented modes in public servers.

Keyser' date='Aug 20 2007, 03:37 PM' post='489993']

I'm sorry you're so mature that you can arbitarily call anyone who likes a gametype other than the ones you prefer kiddie games. My bad.

I wasn't talking about any particular gametype. I was talking about respawns. Reading is fundamental.

I sincerely doubt you have played a single scrim for GRAW2.

Jar, you wouldn't know the first thing about me. But you sure like to assume. I linked your response to our squad forums, our guys got a nice laff. Thanks for that, it's been a hard day and I needed a smile.;)

The camping complaint has been an "issue" for every game I've ever seen where you had respawns. If you only get one life, then you spend it carefully. And never have I seen anyone complain about spawn camping in no respawn games. Except for that guy who never leaves his own spawn. :D These "awareness" threads crack me up because it's a bunch of people either complaining or (in the case of those that feel self important) making blanket statements such as "this is how things are". There's a whole bunch of grey in between black and white.

I never thought I would see the day but last para, yes indeed. :P