Mod: Obsidian Edge 2

viiiper

I thank GR.Net (Pave Low especially), for their vision in seeing this games coming potential and making a little home here are GR. There are many things that can be posted but one thing I'd like to post is, the support from the developer (Crytek GmbH) for the game to be modded by the community is big, it is their secondary goal after releasing what they hope to be the game to push the frontier of PC Gaming. The BDA are in communication with CRYTEK to become one of the BETA Modders with the Sandbox2 Editor. I'll up date as we progress.

Other Modding groups like 'Polishing Weevils' Mod Team http://www.obsidianedge.net/ are already well into the mods and are due to complete OE2 'obsidian edge 2' in November 07. OE2 is touted to carry several new game modes for CRYSIS:

Obsidian Edge 2

Our sole focus at this time is to complete Obsidian Edge for PC. Our number one priority is to ensure that we meet our post Crysis release target and provide gamers with a realistic, modern day, squad based, tactical alternative.

GAME MODES on OE2 (for Crysis)

All Out War [AOW] Gametype (FAQ)

New OE2 Gametype - All Out War (Tentative Design)

Overview: All out war is a "Controlled Zone" gametype, where a team gains points by controlling zones of the battlefield, as well as killing opponents. Since these gametypes seem to work better by driving scores to zero, a "point" gained by a team is actually a point deducted from the opposing team. First team to a zero score loses.

Objective: There are two ways to win a game - 1) Drive the other team's score to zero, 2) Hold all zones on the map for two minutes without interruption.

Scoring: Initial score for the teams is a server option, and will have a default value. Teams lose a point each time a team member dies, for any reason. Teams also lose a point for each zone controlled by the enemy per period of time (i.e., 3 zones enemy controlled = 3 points per period lost).

Control Zones: Typically, a map will have five control zones on it. Each control zone begins in a neutral state, and the teams start in their "home base", which is a base that cannot be captured by the enemy. Certain types of zones will have special value on a map when you control that zone. Typically, a map will contain two special function zones.

Capturing zones: Zones can only be captured by a force differential of more than one player. For example, if a zone is neutral, a team must have at least two players in the zone to capture it. More players change the ownership of the zone faster. If red team is trying to capture a zone from blue team, red team must have at least two more players in the zone than blue team. Of course, this can be accomplished by killing some of blue team to achieve the numerical advantage. Zone control will be indicated by a flag in the zone (usually on top of a structure for better visibility). Proximity to the flag is unimportant to capture of the zone. Projecting a force in the area will achieve capture.

Retaining Zone Ownership: Unless a force of two or more players remains in a captured zone, the zone will slowly go neutral again, and no team will receive points for ownership. Therefore, each team must devise a strategy for not only capturing zones, but also holding them. If a team can hold all zones at once for a period of two minutes, they immediately win the game. Once all zones are controlled by one team, a two minute countdown begins to inform the players of the situation. If one of the zones at least goes neutral during the countdown, the countdown is cancelled and play resumes normally.

Respawns: Respawns are controlled on a per-team basis. In other words, as long as the team still has points to spend on respawns, a player can respawn. Players may only spawn in zones controlled by their team, or their home base. This will force teams to bring a force of consequence to battle for a zone.

Vehicles: Transport vehicles of any type placed on the map will always be available. Armored vehicles placed on the map will be controlled by a server setting to either be available or not.

Resupply: Resupply can be performed at any controlled zone and at the home base. If additional ammunition is needed in the field, it must be transported by vehicle from a controlled zone or a home base. It can also be carried as a crate, but there are obvious disadvantages to this, as you must put the crate down to fight, and a player's speed is reduced when carrying an ammo crate.

Co-op mode: No co-op mode will be available for this gameplay mode.

Team Elimination [TE] Gametype (FAQ)

New OE2 Gametype - Team Elimination (Tentative Design)

Overview: In Team Elimination game mode the player’s team goes up against an opposing team. It is designed around a focus of team work and foot movement. This game mode is developed to be best suited to small or medium sized squads and maps with limited or no respawns. Larger maps and vehicles are possible.

Objective: There are two ways to win a game - 1) Eliminate the opposing team including all (if any) of their respawns, 2) Your team has a higher number of kills than the other team when time runs out.

Scoring: Each team member that dies scores a point for the opposing team. This includes self-kills and team kills.

Respawns: Respawns are usually minimal or zero, particularly in match play. Optionally they can be set to be on a per-team basis, meaning that the team as a whole has a pool of respawns to use for the whole team during the game.

Vehicles: Transport vehicles of any type placed on the map will always be available. Armored vehicles placed on the map will be controlled by a server setting to either be available or not.

Resupply: There is no resupply in this gameplay mode.

Co-op mode: There will be a co-op mode for this gameplay mode.

Defiance [DEF] Gametype (FAQ)

New OE2 Gametype - Defiance (Tentative Design)

Overview: Defiance is a squad-scale to large-scale engagement in which one team defends a series of three bases while the other team attempts to over run each base in order. This is a timed game. After that round is complete, the teams switch roles.

Objective: Defender team must defend each heavily fortified base (in order) from being over run by player forces. They have minimal vehicles and support weaponry. The attacking team will have vehicles to support a large scale invasion of the defender’s bases. Their goal is to over run all bases (in order) before time expires. A team wins the game if they have the highest score at the end of a complete round, If a tie occurs the game is a draw. To make the game more interesting, while the Attackers start out stronger, the Defenders receive a reinforcement bonus periodically that strengthens them over time. So it is in the Attacker's best interest to press the attack quickly.

Scoring: Teams score one point per flag captured.

Respawns: You get "X" number of team respawns (server setting) to attack the first objective. If the attacking team is eliminated before the objective is taken, the attackers fail. If they capture/destroy the first objective, they get "X" more team respawns on top of whatever remains from the first CP to take the second CP, and so forth. You would specify the number of respawns per CP for team respawns.

Defending team gets the same number of respawns per CP. If the first CP gets over-run, then they respawn with their new budget at the second CP.

Resupply: Resupply is available at each base (including attacking team starting point). Additional resupply points may also be available.

Co-op mode: No co-op mode will be available for this gameplay mode.

Enemy Territory [ET] Gametype (FAQ)

New OE2 Gametype - Enemy Territory (Tentative Design)

Overview: Enemy Territory is a squad-scale to large-scale engagement in which a percentage of random members from the player’s team are stuck in or near the opposing team’s base (separate from each other). These players (the targets) must use stealth to stay alive and hidden long enough to communicate their position to team mates and be rescued. Targeted players only get a sidearm and smoke as a kit. The enemy team’s goal is to find and kill all of the targets inside ‘enemy territory’. A round consists of each team playing both the attackers and the defenders once.

Objective: Attackers must find and eliminate any target players in their zone of control before the targets are returned to their home base. Defenders must rescue target team members in the enemy zone and get them to safety (the home base), or completely eliminate the attackers before their targeted team members are killed. Targeted team members that are returned to home base receive a default weapon kit and can participate in rescues of other targeted team members.

Scoring: Various statistics will be shown on the scoreboard, but the win/lose conditions described above are the key measure of success. We are going to evaluate various options for scoring the ‘some targets killed’ scenario.

Respawns: Respawns are usually minimal or zero, particularly in clan match play. An innovation for OE2, will be the option to set respawns on a per-team basis, meaning that the team as a whole has a pool of respawns to use for the whole team during the game. Targeted players are excluded from respawning.

Resupply: There is no resupply in this gameplay mode.

Co-op mode: There will be a co-op mode for this gameplay mode, enabling human team play against AI "bots".

screencapture_jungle_01l476.jpg.jpg

screencapture_consulate_01a633.jpg.jpg

For me a game is more than just the game, it's about community, the modding potential & possibilities that modding brings to the game. But always remember, the tools have to be good to use or no michelAngelo will be sculpted. CRYSIS devs have said in a number of interviews, not only will the development editor (Sandbox2) come with the release but all the tools & documentation (from day 1).

TIME OF DAY:

CRYSIS DAY is 2 hrs long, this means in a crysis game of 2 hours duration the crysis clock will move a full 24hr cycle. From 0800 hrs in the morning, 20 mins into the game will be 1200 noon, 40 mins into the game will be 1600hrs, 1 hour into the game will be 2000 Hrs evening. 1Hr 20min will be midnight, 1hr 40 mins will be 0400 AM dawn and 2hrs will be 0800 am again.

CRYSIS is a Real time of day game, meaning the sun will rise and set while playing.

CRYSIS EDITOR

PART 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDggVK-YXM

PART 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ZlJSBL4B8&NR=1

CHARACTERS

Scroll down to the comparisons section, one picture is real life the other crysis

http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Screens...shots-other.php

Thanks Viiiper :D

Opening the Crysis forums has been high on my To do list for a long time now and have been chomping at the bit waiting for the release date to firm up and things to get a bit more solid, but now everything is green light and we can now open the floodgates on discussion and eager anticipation :thumbsup:

I too have been drooling over the vids and screenshots for the game but am also acutely aware of the massive potential the engine and editor tools have for modding :drool:

*more sub forums will be coming online as they are required, to cover the specific modding and game activities

Might catch a bone for this....

"OE2 'obsidian edge 2' in November 07"

The plan was a couple months after the release of crysis. Real life always takes priority over modders though and the winter season won't help. Ontop of that my job (specifically weapons) Ive had no time for and ontop of that joining the army I should be in basic at the crysis release time.

Project Reality, Insurgency.... all great mods and they took some time. Don't get down and out yet if it doesn't release on time. ;)

The whole reason I bought my website was to have a one stop shop for modders to quickly learn the engine. That was the plan anyways. If I can get any tuts up before then I will try (nothing engine specific)

To be quite honest though... my site would of been void for a good reasons

Edited by pz3

how was i being cryptic?

Might catch a bone for this....

"OE2 'obsidian edge 2' in November 07"

The plan was a couple months after the release of crysis. Real life always takes priority over modders though and the winter season won't help. Ontop of that my job (specifically weapons) Ive had no time for and ontop of that joining the army I should be in basic at the crysis release time.

Project Reality, Insurgency.... all great mods and they took some time. Don't get down and out yet if it doesn't release on time. ;)

The whole reason I bought my website was to have a one stop shop for modders to quickly learn the engine. That was the plan anyways. If I can get any tuts up before then I will try (nothing engine specific)

To be quite honest though... my site would of been void for a good reasons

Ok maybe we are saying the same thing differently.

OE2 is planned for November release alongside CRYSIS, EA & CRYTEK confirmed last week the release date as 16th November 2007. Crytek in a interview confirmed OE2 modders were on target for OE2 release. The rest of the post seems to be about real life & running your website? that totally lost me.

The BDA are in communication with CRYTEK to become one of the BETA Modders with the Sandbox2 Editor. I'll up date as we progress.

ok if you're serious about that and Crytek duz let you then I want in.

Yes we are serious, whether we are accepted or not we will be doing it, we should find out this week or next by the latest. The application is under an NDA re crysis and crytek technologies prior to crysis.

I'm not gonna get hyped until it's out. Anyone remember soldner? looked cool.. but i know no one that plays it.

You don't have to get hyped but this game is coming, it does exist (see video in original post) and the editor is already available for development. There are 12 weeks to the release date (3 months) the clock tics loud, the beta will be on file planet soon (file planet have posted that statement). Speculations for the open beta to file planet members will be in less than 4 weeks.

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/news/view/...ing_hit_crysis/

GameSpy will also be hosting a beta test program for Crysis, giving Crytek the ability to test Crysis with gaming enthusiasts. To be available at FilePlanet, (http://www.fileplanet.com/), this beta program will allow Crytek to fine-tune Crysis and receive feedback on gameplay, while detecting any early problems within the game. The beta test program will provide invaluable feedback and generate buzz for the game leading up to its November release

No hype, just drive. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice thread Viper... :rocky:

Not sure if you guys saw it but we have released our Summer Media Update.

As for Cryptic posts, I think you have proved it!

I have no idea what PZ was meaning with OE2 and Nov 07 :hmm: , our plan is the same as always; OE2 will follow Crysis by around 2-3 months.

Good luck with your efforts to get access to the SB2 :thumbsup:

Clever guys, those Crysis devs. They've figured out that not everyone is interested in fighting zombines, mutants or aliens, and OE will cater to those people. However...

As far as I can see, the co-op games are adversarial, i.e. the AI simple replaces one of the human player teams. I'm an SP and mission-based co-op kinda guy myself (not that Cysis or OE2 is any less impressive for it).

Anyhew, good luck with the project(s).

Respectfully

krise madsen

:huh:

Is this another T v T game only thing? I thought there was to be some sort of co-op involved, not replacing the team slots with AI bots. I must be wrong i guess, will need to go read some more.

Co-op mode: There will be a co-op mode for this gameplay mode, enabling human team play against AI "bots"

Interested to know exactly what crysis has to offer for a co-op type of guy. Hope it is not some 1 off firefight mode thrown in to try please.

:hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

:huh:

Is this another T v T game only thing? I thought there was to be some sort of co-op involved, not replacing the team slots with AI bots. I must be wrong i guess, will need to go read some more.

With the heightened learning curve on the Crysis SDK as well as resource constraints, we (the OE2 team) had to make a decision to start with either SP or MP gameplay. As the public has now heard, only PowerStruggle and FFA will be available out of the box for Crysis MP, so we targeted the MP side of gameplay. We always had plans for a SP campaign (with the plan to see if Co-op could be done).

There could well be opportunities to create the SP side of OE2 once the game comes out and the NDA and EULA baggage we are carrying is no longer an issue. There are already early draft mission designs...

We always had plans for a SP campaign (with the plan to see if Co-op could be done).

There could well be opportunities to create the SP side of OE2 once the game comes out and the NDA and EULA baggage we are carrying is no longer an issue. There are already early draft mission designs...

;) Some SP stuff sure would be welcomed if you ever get around to working some in.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you liked the update Colin, all gamemodes will of course be refined during testing.

While the server side flexibility will allow Obsidian Edge 2 to be played in just about any FPS style, the heart and soul of it is Tactical, squad based gameplay with that edge of realism... :rocky:

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from 'OpFlash2' i'd say that OE2 is the only thing on the horizon that i have any hope to fill the void left by the aging GR. GRAW certainly doesn't do the job even though it has its good points.

OE1 was quite good but there was just something more run and gun about it that that i couldn't pin down as if you tracked the run speed etc it wasn't any different from GR.

I hope the motion blur isn't stuck on. That's an annoying thing in the Crysis demo.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the big thing was that OE1 was not immersive enough. There was still too much FarCry fabric sticking out from underneath the OE1 covers. It wasn't a toal conversion by any means, so you were always being dragged back to reality by seeing recognizable models and features from FarCry. And since FarCry was unapologetically run and gun, I think that was the issue. At least it was for me. That's why we decided if we wanted to try it again, it had to be completely immersive...a total conversion with it's own flavor and style.