Squirrels Creek

Biro

Thanks for the nice comments all!

Castle Day is coming along pretty well. All houses and the castle is ingame and textured. The ground still need some vertex painting and tweaking and I also have the backdrops left to do aswell, but with some hard work this week and the map should be more or less finished up in the end of the week I hope. I have been working some on the vegetation to make it suits my needs and I'm pretty happy with how it seems to turn out. I have made the trees so they lightmap the ground with static shadows now and non-dynamic grass has been added aswell. This means grass that's not culled away at range, or hidden when you set the enviroment details. In other words, it's grass that's ment to be hiding places for you sneaky guys. Still have to add more variaton to the trees and if someone from GRIN could explain me how to setup the billboard effect in 3dMax, that would be good aswell.

Thought I wanted to share a compare between our good old GR and GRAW2 Castle Day. The pictures will do the rest of the talking I guess! :thumbsup:

minisqcreek08.jpg

minisqcreek07.jpg

In max to set up billboard groups if I remember right is you basically, first need a bunch of one sided planes and then select all these and goto group > group and name it: billboard_group:NAME

In the xml you specify it as usual and you want to use leaves as instance_struct. Here's an example:

<object name="billboard_group:leafy" shadow_caster="true" hidden="false" instance_struct="leaves"/>

And here's an example from the materials file:

<material name="shanty_tree_billboard" src="leaves_translucency">

<diffuse_texture file="shanty_leaves_df"/>

<bump_normal_texture file="shanty_leaves_bm"/>

<opacity_texture file="shanty_leaves_df"/>

<clip_plane value="0 0 -1 25000"/>

<filter_color_texture file="vgt_translucency_mask"/>

<variable name="translucency_fresnel_power" type="scalar" value="10"/>

<variable name="translucency_multiplier" type="scalar" value="1"/>

</material>

Now this one uses translucency as well which will help give them a more "leaflike" feel.

For this you need a separate texture mask or you can use the texture called: vgt_translucency_mask like in this example which is just a plain gray that we thought worked best with billboards when we tested.

Hope this helped you.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, only get a warning message when I try to export. Can't see any leafs ingame, prolly due to this warning:

Warnings:

billboard_group:leafy:

Failed test mapping_channels(1 8) does not intersect 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 - This mesh contains mapping channels beyond channel 5 - remove unused channels.

This shows up every time I group it up with the "billboard_group:"

Edit: And I have only applied 1 material to the group, set to map channel 1.

Nvm, it's working with the error message aswell. :)

Ah right... It was something about that. I can't quite remember. I believe one of the programmers added a warning when using map channels higher than 4 and billboards for some reason using a higher one (I don't know why tho) kind of slipped through. So you can ignore that warning.

It's maybe gonna be a weekend release, but it ain't gonna be this weekend.

I'm currently working with the vegetation, building up some different tree models to create enough variation to make it look realistic. The tree's from GRIN/RSE ain't really what I need so this takes a little time to get good. I'm wondering if I should just release Castle Day as a own download before the Squirrels Creek map is done. Lot's of things I wanna redo on that map as I have learned some new things from rebuilding the Castle map. The idea was to release these two maps together with Deleyts tank map, but D haven't really had time to work much on Tank lately either, so I think I'll be heading that way. Time will tell.

Maybe I'll put up some screens later on tonight if I get some more good trees in.

.........I'm wondering if I should just release Castle Day as a own download before the Squirrels Creek map is done........

If it's done, then yes. ;) I am sure the rest of us are anxious to give it a go. The screenies that you have posted has gotten people excited about it.

but D haven't really had time to work much on Tank lately

...and you should be spending more time with Stime-mari aswell, instead of some map people already played 5 years ago.... :D

Lol, ye true but she's lost in that world of warcraft game, so not much love to get there! ;)

Inferno' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:21 PM' post='494011']

TUG is also making a Castle Day map as I have just heard today and it is almost done. What is your response to this Biro? I have faith in you Biro to make us a true Castle Day for GRAW 2...

I'll just give them some reference photos so they have something to look at when building up that map... :devil:

Last screenshots before release now, enjoy them and have a good weekend all! :thumbsup:

(click on them for bigger versions)

minisqcreek09.jpg

minisqcreek10.jpg

minisqcreek11.jpg

minisqcreek12.jpg

TUG is also making a Castle Day map as I have just heard today and it is almost done. What is your response to this Biro? I have faith in you Biro to make us a true Castle Day for GRAW 2...

Not sure where he got his info from, but we're not making a castle day map!

Not sure where he got his info from, but we're not making a castle day map!

Sorry about that, I got the information from a clan member of mine. Where he got the information I have no idea but sorry for the false info.

Castle Day is looking great and I'm not throwing off because its amazing that someone is finally doing this but it looks more like a Castle Dusk. Looks like we will need some night vision.

Edited by [MAD]Inferno

Both the fog and the light can be adjusted in the enviroments.xml file. I expect this map will be adjusted to both clear day and night aswell, maybe both with and without fog, but this is the version I'll release as I think the dusk-lighting gives a better mood to the map then a bright and clear day.