Squirrels Creek

Biro

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the nice comments all!

Castle Day is coming along pretty well. All houses and the castle is ingame and textured. The ground still need some vertex painting and tweaking and I also have the backdrops left to do aswell, but with some hard work this week and the map should be more or less finished up in the end of the week I hope. I have been working some on the vegetation to make it suits my needs and I'm pretty happy with how it seems to turn out. I have made the trees so they lightmap the ground with static shadows now and non-dynamic grass has been added aswell. This means grass that's not culled away at range, or hidden when you set the enviroment details. In other words, it's grass that's ment to be hiding places for you sneaky guys. Still have to add more variaton to the trees and if someone from GRIN could explain me how to setup the billboard effect in 3dMax, that would be good aswell.

Thought I wanted to share a compare between our good old GR and GRAW2 Castle Day. The pictures will do the rest of the talking I guess! :thumbsup:

minisqcreek08.jpg

minisqcreek07.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments all!

Castle Day is coming along pretty well. All houses and the castle is ingame and textured. The ground still need some vertex painting and tweaking and I also have the backdrops left to do aswell, but with some hard work this week and the map should be more or less finished up in the end of the week I hope. I have been working some on the vegetation to make it suits my needs and I'm pretty happy with how it seems to turn out. I have made the trees so they lightmap the ground with static shadows now and non-dynamic grass has been added aswell. This means grass that's not culled away at range, or hidden when you set the enviroment details. In other words, it's grass that's ment to be hiding places for you sneaky guys. Still have to add more variaton to the trees and if someone from GRIN could explain me how to setup the billboard effect in 3dMax, that would be good aswell.

Thought I wanted to share a compare between our good old GR and GRAW2 Castle Day. The pictures will do the rest of the talking I guess! :thumbsup:

minisqcreek08.jpg

minisqcreek07.jpg

Wow. Amazing work. Really looking forward to this :D

"Sector clear!"

"ghost team standing by for extraction..." :rocky:

minisqcreek06.jpg

Stunning screenies, Biro. Sometime soon I might even have to buy GRAW2?

Mission modding: is it easier, harder or just different from [GR]?

Theo

I`d have to say, mission making is actually easier and faster than GR1. But...Learning how to do it initially is harder.

On topic, I`d be more than happy to remake the castle mission if needed for this project.

:D

Bushes on GR are way better then GRAW2

Can't really say I agree with you on that one. The GRAW2 bushes has way better and higher resolution on the textures and the billboard effect Grin used on the trees are very smart aswell. It gives very good looking trees with amazing few polygons compared to what you have to use if you want to make something like it the GR1 way. Only time it looks like crap is if you go right under the trees and look up and move. That gives a little bit of a weird effect...

It's the effect that causes the leaves on the trees/bushes to always face the player. This way you can have maybe 10 planes on a tree and when all this is facing the player no matter where he goes the tree will look good from any side. (except under it) And the polycount is really low compared to when you build a tree in real 3d.