[Running 2 servers on same box ?]

FcUK_A

If they added support for it in the newly released patch maybe if not then no. However I have done some testing with running 2 servers on the same box using Virtualization. I used Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 or you could use VMware. However you will need 2 legitimate copies of a Window's Operating system XP or higher and probably 2 NIC's in the rig. I made a thread about it in the tech support forum.

I believe that was there since the beginning however it did not work. I could be wrong since I haven't tested it, but I believe Viiper tried.

Now if they fixed it to work then all should be well on the multiple servers per physical box issue.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

I believe that was there since the beginning however it did not work. I could be wrong since I haven't tested it, but I believe Viiper tried.

Now if they fixed it to work then all should be well on the multiple servers per physical box issue.

From what i can tell, the file was created ( or modified today ) after 1.03 patch installed

From what i can tell, the file was created ( or modified today ) after 1.03 patch installed

Yes it was, I'm going to try & run 2 servers later when i get home on the same box & see what happens. :)

Yes it was, I'm going to try & run 2 servers later when i get home on the same box & see what happens. :)

Let us know!

I won't be able to test till after 5pm today... dang work interfering with my patch testing LOL

I've tested this and it seems to work now. Checked on the listing and both servers were there and i could join both.

Awesome! I'm betting BDA's Co-op server will be up today

And clans that have a big box will now have a co-op or different mode server + maybe a match server.

Just as a side note as found on UBI

If you have 2 cores and 1 instance of GRAW2 it will run the game on one core and the physics on another.

If you have 4 cores and 2 open cores it will run 1 graw 2 instance on the 1st, one on the 2nd and use core 3 and 4 for physics

They also state not to use affinity if you want multicore support.

All i did was change the port number to 16251, so coop on 16251 and TDM etc on 16250, We got quad core and looks fine, Mmm memory leak seems to have gone as well !!

A.

I take it you just specified the -port in the cmd line the same as me?

So how does this work? I tried making another dedicated_server_info_1.xml and using it for the second instance, but no dice. It loads the original one regardless of how I change the command line parameter.

I take it we have to modify our original dedicated_server_ info.xml but I'm at a loss on how to do this to accommodate both cores.

So how does this work? I tried making another dedicated_server_info_1.xml and using it for the second instance, but no dice. It loads the original one regardless of how I change the command line parameter.

I take it we have to modify our original dedicated_server_ info.xml but I'm at a loss on how to do this to accommodate both cores.

I actually copied our entire graw2 folder to a 2nd folder & ran the 2nd instance from there. Thus using 2 diff sets of files & configs. It did however crash on start, so I'll have to investigate further.

If we can indeed use 1 set of files & run multiple instances of the graw2_dedicated.exe, then cool - but I doubt we could do that as there may be some file perms/sharing issues if both servers are trying to access the same thing at the same time.

I did launch the same server with different ports from the same directory and neither crashed right away. I didn't test to see if you could see them or join them from the server browser. I was testing on my home rig behind my firewall and using VPC07. I'm suprised I didn't get a sharing/file in use violation on the quick or patch bundles at the very least since the game locks them. At the very least it would be a disk space saver.

EDIT:

Missed something in my testing and managed to get it to work with defining the xml to use. I was also successful in seeing and joining both servers that were running from the same folder. They were both coop servers and no one else was playing in them so I don't know about performance but it's possible that it would work and save space. I would defer to those who have dedicated servers with the RAM and processor resources to handle more than one server to test the performance of running 2 instances out of the same directory.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

I'm running both instances from the same directory on a Trinity colocated server. Both are visible and joinable. They seem to be no less stable than just a single instance. I get some coop crashes but I'm pretty sure my xml file for coop isn't quite right and probably is the cause (if someone could PM me a good coop xml, that would be awesome). It was messed up before I started running two games. I didn't really notice a performance hit, but only one game or the other was populated, never both at the same time as far as I know.

I'm finding that running two instances of the dedicated server off of one folder I get a crash on the server that's idle or not as full. I've gotten maybe 2 crashes of the server previously, yesterday w/both servers (on both cores) I got 5 crashes.

I'm going to try to copy one installation over to a second folder and see if that fixes the problem. The server is an e6300, 2 gigs RAM.

I'm finding that running two instances of the dedicated server off of one folder I get a crash on the server that's idle or not as full. I've gotten maybe 2 crashes of the server previously, yesterday w/both servers (on both cores) I got 5 crashes.

I'm going to try to copy one installation over to a second folder and see if that fixes the problem. The server is an e6300, 2 gigs RAM.

Same here.. problems occur when running 2 server..(maybe it´s caused by files being shared.. atleast thats what i believe.. am gonna try later copy to another directory and run two separate servers..)

this is the errors i get when server change map if ppl play on both servers running from same directory at same time:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat Aug 25 20:08:20 2007

Crash in application version: 30553.2792

data\lib\managers\skymanager.dsf(-1): No sky found named "mission02photo"

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\managers\skymanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\environmentmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametype.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametypecustom.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\level\level.dsf(0)

Renderer: normal

Physics : normal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat Aug 25 20:14:42 2007

Crash in application version: 30553.2792

data\lib\managers\skymanager.dsf(-1): No sky found named "perkele"

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\managers\environmentmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametype.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametypecustom.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\level\level.dsf(0)

Renderer: normal

Physics : normal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe its because other map(server) is using the file(s) needed at the time?