New TvT Game Mode Question

Maybe scoring is team based and based on objectives. Have an odd number of objectives that must be completed. The team with the greater number of objectives while having to fight the other team wins. Scripting could be similar to the RvsA but instead of partial victory, it's just complete victory for the round.

I'd be willing to help test whatever you come up with.

1. Both teams have the same objectives
A meeting engagement?

Isn't that TDM...by default?

Maybe scoring is team based and based on objectives. Have an odd number of objectives that must be completed. The team with the greater number of objectives while having to fight the other team wins. Scripting could be similar to the RvsA but instead of partial victory, it's just complete victory for the round.

I'd be willing to help test whatever you come up with.

Here are more features:

>>> 4 possible initial spawns; each team is randomly assigned 1 of the 4

>>> 6 possible objectives

>>> 3 objectives are chosen at random

>>> Only 1 objective is displayed at a time (you won't know where the next objective is)

>>> If your team secures the objective, you & your dead teammates will spawn at the objective (all surviving team members must secure the objective)

>>> If the enemy secures the objective, you & your dead teammates will spawn at 1 of the 4 initial spawn points, again chosen at random

>>> Points are awarded for each objective, surviving members get more points.

>>> Game is won based on total team points (you can secure only 1 objective and still win by points)

>>> If everyone is dead, game ends in a draw, regardless of objectives secured & points earned (after all you did in fact fail)

I hope that clarifies issues for both of you ;)

What do you guys think of an objective based TvT game mode that only awards points for completing the objective, and not for kills?

Minor details about the game mode:

1. Both teams have the same objectives

2. To complete an objective requires the entire team

Awesome idea, I love that sort of play!

HOLY ######ING ###### IT WORKS :D :D :D

I got my entirely new TvT game mode to work! I need to tweak the scoring, and I need to test it with more people, but all of the events execute properly. Here it is in a nutshell:

Advance And Secure Game Mode:

> Each "match" or "game" should only consist of 1 round.

> At the start, each team spawns at 1 of the 4 spawn points, selected randomly

> One of the 6 objectives is selected & displayed at random

> Entire team must be in the objective zone to secure the object

> Team members get 4 points; surviving members get 6 additional points

> Dead members of successful team spawn at objective

> Dead members of unsuccessful team spawn at 1 of the 4 original spawn points, again chosen at random

> One of the 5 remaining objectives is selected and displayed at random.

> Dead members of unsuccessful team spawn at 1 of the 4 original spawn points, again chosen at random

> One of the 4 remaining objectives is selected and displayed at random.

> Game ends

> All players dead = game ends in a tie, regarldess of points earned

Objective marker labeled "Secure" appears at objective

Enter zone, smoke displays color similar to HH

Once secure, smoke & objective marker appear at new objective

Smoke and objective marker at secure location disappears

The game is won by total team points, so it is possible to win if you secure only 1 of the 3 objectives.

HOLY ######ING ###### IT WORKS :D :D :D

I got my entirely new TvT game mode to work! I need to tweak the scoring, and I need to test it with more people, but all of the events execute properly. Here it is in a nutshell:

Advance And Secure Game Mode:

> Each "match" or "game" should only consist of 1 round.

> At the start, each team spawns at 1 of the 4 spawn points, selected randomly

> One of the 6 objectives is selected & displayed at random

> One of the 5 remaining objectives is selected and displayed at random.

> One of the 4 remaining objectives is selected and displayed at random.

> Game ends

> All players dead = game ends in a tie, regarldess of points earned

Objective marker labeled "Secure" appears at objective

Enter zone, smoke displays color similar to HH

Once secure, smoke & objective marker appear at new objective

Smoke and objective marker at secure location disappears

The game is won by total team points, so it is possible to win if you secure only 1 of the 3 objectives.

Nice! Id love to try that lateron :D

Say it's 10v10

If team "a" captures the first objective with 3 surviving teammates, then they get the following score:

4 points per team member x 10 = 40

6 points per surviving team member = 18

Total points for first objective = 58

Maximum points for an objective in this case is 100 (10 points for each team mate if every team mate is alive).

The minimum is 46 (4 points for each teammate and 6 for 1 survivor).

So, team a can win objective 1 and objective 2 with 46 points each (total of 92) but team b can still win the match if they can secure the third objective without losing anyone (100 points). That way, there is incentive to fight for the third objective.

Since the kits are the same for both teams, and spawn points are totally random, there is no need to play the matches from each side, as the Ghosts do not have an advantage over the Rebels, and vice versa.

Although, I still have to figure out the scripting for the scoring.

BRILLIANT!

I would love to see this...

Thanks!

Cangaroo....if you need some players to help you test it out, msg me on xfire tonight. I would love to check it out.
I will, as soon as I get the scoring figured out. I won't be tonight, because at this point it's trial and error, and changing the script is a long and tedious process (it's just under 7,000 lines of code; RvsA is 468 :wacko:) Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

Okay, it appears that scoring options are somewhat restricted in GRAW 2. Although you can give points to individual players or entire teams for just about anything, I can't figure out if or how there is a way to convert individual points to team points. So, here is the point system I devised. I'd like to know what you guys think about it:

Win an objective = 3 team points

Kill all opponents = 2 bonus team points

Lose an objective with no survivors = 0 team points

Lose an objective with survivors = 1 team point

So, even if team 1 wins the first 2 objectives, team 2 can still win if:

They have survivors after each of the first 2 objectives, and

They win the last objective and kill all opponents.

Now, you might say "Well, we'll just kill all the opponents on the first objective." Maybe, but say it starts out 4v4. Then, you're up 4v2, and you decide to hunt for the other 2 people. Then, next thing you know, you're only up 2v1. Are you going to risk 3 team points? If you try & fail, not only will your team not get the 3 points, but the opponent will gain 5 points! You'd be better off securing the objective with 2v1 and letting them decide whether to give you 3 points and take 1, or go for broke and attack you at the secure point.

Remember, you do not get individual points for kills.

Synopsis for GRAW 2 Custom Game Mode Advance And Secure

Objective:

Your team is tasked with securing 3 objectives before the enemy. Only 1 objective is available at a time. The objective you must secure can be anything from a building, vehicle, asset, or personnel.

Spawning:

There are four (4) initial spawn points. Ghosts will spawn at 1 of the 4 spawn points, chosen at random. Rebels will spawn at 1 of the remaining 3 spawn points, chosen at random.

Each player is limited to 1 death per objective, and will respawn when an objective has been secured.

Dead players on the team that successfully secures the current objective will spawn at the objective.

Dead players on the team that fails to secure the current objective will spawn at 1 of the 4 initial spawn points, again chosen at random.

Scoring:

The team that successfully secures the current objective will get 3 points. If they kill all of the players on the opposing team, they will get 2 bonus points.

If the team that fails to secure the current objective has any surviving members, they will get 1 bonus point.

If all players are dead then match ends in a tie, regardless of how many points each team has earned.

No points are awarded for individual kills.

Due to this scoring system, it is still possible to win a match even if your team only secures 1 objective.

Gameplay:

Classes & kits are standard MP kits, similar to TDM.

Each AAS map is made with 6 possible objectives. The first objective is chosen at random, then displayed as a waypoint marker on your HUD. After the first objective has been secured, the second objective is chosen at random from the 5 remaining objectives. The first waypoint marker disappears from your HUD, and the second waypoint marker appears. This is repeated for the third objective, which is chosen at random from the 4 remaining objectives.

In order to secure an objective, your entire team must occupy the objective area for 90 consecutive seconds.

If any member leaves the objective area the timer resets and will not restart until that player returns or gets killed.

If any member of the opposing team enters the objective area the timer resets and will not restart until that players leaves, gets killed, or kills the occupying force.

Each match lasts only 1 round, since spawns and objectives are chosen at random, and kits are limited to the standard MP classes & kits. No side has an advantage over the other.

Additional Features:

In addition to the waypoint marker, smoke plumes mark the location of the objectives. Once your entire team enters the objective area, the smoke plume will show blue smoke. If the enemy is occupying the objective, the smoke plume shows red smoke.

First off let me say this kind of stuff is awesome, I love to see this kind of inovation from the GRAW 2 community.

Two things I can think of off the top of my head..

1) Should penilize suicides..

Here is what I am thinking.. you have 2 members left in each team .. 1 member for team A enters objective and the other person is farther away.. so he kills himself so that team A only needs the one guys alive in the Objective to win knowing that team A will just respawn because objective has been met?

2) Just so I understand correctly.. both teams are going for the same objective or does each team have a seperate objective at the same time? If different objectives at the same time .. it would make no sense to attack the other team... just get 1 in and have hte other team kill the rest of you..

Again, I am just looking at potiential loop holes.. you may have it covered off... have you thought about Multi Random Spawns for just TDM as well .. that would be excellent..

Edited by IrishStout

1) Should penilize suicides..

Here is what I am thinking.. you have 2 members left in each team .. 1 member for team A enters objective and the other person is farther away.. so he kills himself so that team A only needs the one guys alive in the Objective to win knowing that team A will just respawn because objective has been met?

Imagine this:

You are playing and it's down to 2v2. One of your opponents suicides, and the other enters the zone alone. You see their timer count down, and you see the red plume of smoke at the objective, so you know where he is. Now, he has to defend the zone by himself. If he fails, your team will get 5 points. It would make sense for him to wait for his teammate and attempt to take the zone together. Sure, people may try your tactic, but it would not be long before they realized it is not worth the risk.

2) Just so I understand correctly.. both teams are going for the same objective or does each team have a seperate objective at the same time?
Yes, both teams have to secure the same objective.

have you thought about Multi Random Spawns for just TDM as well .. that would be excellent..
That's already been done. I prefer objective based competition.

Cool, so there is a time limit set to securing the objective.. that makes a lot of sense.. Question 1 answered..

Question 2 answered.. which again makes a lot of sense.. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly..

Comment 1 - I know it has been done before but not in GRAW or GRAW 2.. so it's still new and a required feature for those that enjoy TDM.. maybe you can share your secrets ;)

Lastly, I am just greatful you are doing what you are and that you are making the game more interesting ... much apprichiated.

Two last things .. can it end in a tie and what happens if the objective is held by both teams.. I would think the counter would just not count but that doesn't seem to happen all the time in HH ... What if I have two people in the objective (all form my team) and the other team has 1 (all left in other team) would the counter move? Again, just trying to help cover off everything.. likely to happen.. probably not.. but you also don;t want the game to crap out because it does not know how to handle a situation..

Edited by IrishStout