I'm not impressed with GRAW2 mod tools.

Man, I'm trying to to read these tutorials and man, is my head in a knot. :wacko: this time around we got tools less complete, raw and absolutely user- un- friendly. look at this;

If you want to generate a faster lightmap you can edit the lightmap settings inside sb_global.xml. Look for the two lines called “lightmap_render_quality†and “lightmap_size_qualityâ€, and then lower them from “medium†to “lowâ€. This should cut the rendering time to about 20-25% but with low quality. It can be good to just while testing and evolving the level, and then setting it back to “medium†before generating the final lightmap before distribution

so..you have to edit an xml to be able to do the old style GRAW1 draft lightmap work. :thumbsup: nice..

I have no real time to mess with an editor, but why are we getting less Modtools? these tools may work for Grin as they know the tools, but what about the customer/user? we don't have your inside eye to the tools. Sorry Grin, but from what I've seen thus far, it looks like you gave a car in pieces and a tutorial on trying to put it together. :(

my modding work is over. too much headache involved. <_< good luck guys, I'll download your maps& Mods when you're done. :thumbsup:

sorry for the dbl post but, i tried to do a search on my system for the sb_global.xml file and it doesn't exist. so..now I have to wonder..is it in the quick.bundle? :hmm:

this is a muddy mess. :rofl:

sorry for the dbl post but, i tried to do a search on my system for the sb_global.xml file and it doesn't exist. so..now I have to wonder..is it in the quick.bundle? :hmm:

Yes you guessed it :thumbsup: quick.bundle is where you sb files live.

P.s. I'm with you, I was out before I was in, I wanted the GRAW Editor with the powers GRIN had but not without a front end, GRIN never said the GRAW1 editor was the full monster with a front end. The GRAW2 editor is not what I call a user editor, nor is it the most friendly one. I do admire those that are using it. I hope you all make some great mods & maps and at least everyone will know you worked your nuts off doing it.

I'm on the boat to CRYTEK with a dev copy of sandbox2 :yes:

Right viiiper, they gave us tools they said they used. BUT!, if these tools are ANY indication, then I see why GRAW/GRAW2 are so jacked up. the tools for GRAW2 are like GRAW1 was...beta or slapped together.

im slowly figuring out the map editor. Im stuck on the briefing right now. I got it to show my own little picture when its loading, then it goes to the briefing page for a second, then crashes... I also cant figure out how to get the name of the map to show when its loading, or how to get the name of the map to show when its in the campaign list. Once I figure those out, I get to see how good/bad my actual map is :)

Well I have seen far worse editors, I have no problem with the interface for placing objects or with having to write code to perform complex behaviors. I do get a crash, but it is related to the thread crashes that are happening, even the game runs fine.

I will agree it could be more user friendly, but we have what we have. I have put together a coop map loaded scenery and even created a bundle, written some fairly complex scripts, and this is where I find the biggest failing. Wolf has done an excellent job of the tutorials and he has lent those working on mapping a tremendous amount of assistance. But the scripts have a lot going on in them and a few more details and complete examples would have helped.

Anyone who thinks they were going to get the full suite of developers tools for free was just fooling themselves. Those tools cost a lot of money to build and license, no one just gives them away.

Once I get my crash sorted out, I expect to be building some interesting COOP maps based on the current mission map landscape. I might even dust off my 3dsm books and take a crack at making a some new ones.

Perhaps my background as a programmer has conditioned me to deal with what is available and makes me more open to the whole scripting thing. But so far I have no major issues with the editing tools as presented.

Man, I'm trying to to read these tutorials and man, is my head in a knot. :wacko: this time around we got tools less complete, raw and absolutely user- un- friendly. look at this;

If you want to generate a faster lightmap you can edit the lightmap settings inside sb_global.xml. Look for the two lines called “lightmap_render_quality†and “lightmap_size_qualityâ€, and then lower them from “medium†to “lowâ€. This should cut the rendering time to about 20-25% but with low quality. It can be good to just while testing and evolving the level, and then setting it back to “medium†before generating the final lightmap before distribution

so..you have to edit an xml to be able to do the old style GRAW1 draft lightmap work. :thumbsup: nice..

I have no real time to mess with an editor, but why are we getting less Modtools? these tools may work for Grin as they know the tools, but what about the customer/user? we don't have your inside eye to the tools. Sorry Grin, but from what I've seen thus far, it looks like you gave a car in pieces and a tutorial on trying to put it together. :(

my modding work is over. too much headache involved. <_< good luck guys, I'll download your maps& Mods when you're done. :thumbsup:

This is because you don't need to generate lightmap at all in GRAW2. In GRAW you where forced to. All other versaions besides the set one are useless as they are below the game standard.

GRAW1 editor forced people to do stuff, GRAW2 editor gives you the option to do them so you can develop the map step by step. And this is how 90% of the editors used by developers are. Constantly changed during development and to make that easy everything is open ended.

im slowly figuring out the map editor. Im stuck on the briefing right now. I got it to show my own little picture when its loading, then it goes to the briefing page for a second, then crashes... I also cant figure out how to get the name of the map to show when its loading, or how to get the name of the map to show when its in the campaign list. Once I figure those out, I get to see how good/bad my actual map is :)

Read the tutorial. It's all in there.

found out you don't have to edit the sb_global.xml the editor go's by your video settings in the game to render a low draft just set your video setting all to low then go back in and render your draft for a quicker render or to medium for your final or high if you have the memory to run it on high

found out you don't have to edit the sb_global.xml the editor go's by your video settings in the game to render a low draft just set your video setting all to low then go back in and render your draft for a quicker render or to medium for your final or high if you have the memory to run it on high

Interesting. Didn't know it uses the same variable. You learn something new everyday.